bazera

From software developer to an artist. Career transition fears, any advice?

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I want to tell you a little bit about my situation and then hear if any of you face the same challenges.

In 2014, I entered college to become a computer scientist. I liked that field more or less, I liked technical fields at school too and, I thought being a software developer was a promising career.

4 years ago I started working as a front-end web developer for a local company, And right now, I'm still working as a front-end developer but in another company (I've changed the company I worked for three times).

My frustration began couple of years ago when I entered this field and started to work on real-life projects and delved into the programmers' culture. I didn't like it much, I thought I would give it a try a bit more and I would like it more and more but that didn't happen. I like some things about building software but, I think there are other things that I'm more passionate about...

This brings us to art. So, since childhood, I've been drawing for myself and I've always had this passion for art. When I was a kid, I was learning adobe photoshop, adobe after effects, blender, cinema 4d, and stuff like that. I really liked the idea of becoming an artist. But I didn't know what were the possibilities. I have the same passion for art since then till now.

So, I'm kinda stuck. I have a relatively high income with my software dev career, which pays rent, supports family, and stuff like that. But on the other hand, there is this hidden passion and hidden part in me which wants to be an artist and doesn't know (yet) how to transition.

One of the options I think is to get a part-time job as a developer for a couple of years, maybe 1-2, and spend the other half of my time developing my art skills (which need lots and lots of daily practice to get better). I don't know yet what are the options for earning money as an artist (concept artist, 3D artist, or something like that), but as I'm researching, I'm sure that there are lots of ways, the main thing is to have a portfolio and skills sufficient enough. 

I was also thinking of creating a brand, and using my future developed art skills to create products or services that could help or inspire people in some way, I don't know the way yet.

At this point, I only have a small vision, but I've been denying this for a couple of years now (because of financial fears), but I can't do that anymore. I'm 25 years old now and the clock is ticking :D

So, I just wanted to hear your thoughts, have you had familiar cases in your career? How did you handle it? 

I changed from software development to massage therapy and I don't miss the tech world a bit. I started studying massage in the evenings after work. So it was fucking hard. In my opinion don't leave your main income yet. Start your passion on the side and slowly transition. 

As for me would be a better to stay a software developer https://mlsdev.com/services/ui-ux-design. In addition to hiring dedicated developers, you can also hire developers who will be based in India. This gives you access to highly skilled developers who will work with you to provide you with a website that is designed to meet your unique online business needs.

Edited by Marcosuve

Living very minimalistic could help bringing down your living expenses to the point you only need a part-time job to sustain yourself. You can be very creative and extreme in this. There are people living in their car for this purpose. I wouldn't go that far tbh, but co-housing is an option. There are many cool and decent people out there that are fun to live with and will respect your privacy. If you could split rent with a couple people, that would help a lot cutting down your expenses. Then if you could survive with a part-time job, you could use your time to work on your skills. 

What I have done is that I got ADHD diagnosed, and am currently in the proces of getting agoraphobia and social anxiety diagnosed. I already live on the social systems expenses. But to be able to permanently do this, I need the other diagnoses. Then I would be completely financially free for the rest of my life. Of course this is only to be able to get more attuned to my LP and work on this. In the end I would no longer need the social systems support, but it helps me to progress. And it does not matter if you don't have the actual disorder. You can fake it. I don't know the regulations in your country though and if it will work for you. 

When you know what your life purpose is, having to work 9-5, 5 days a week will ruin your energy levels and creativity. It would be a lot easier not to. 

@JonasVE12 

When you know what your life purpose is, having to work 9-5, 5 days a week will ruin your energy levels and creativity. It would be a lot easier not to. 

Yeah for sure. I've just bought Leo's course, lets see what I'll end up with.

You lost me with using computer science & then front end programming. ?

@Andrey

20 hours ago, Andrey said:

You lost me with using computer science & then front end programming. ?

Yeah :D front-end turned out to be the most enjoyable for me out of all the possibilities suggested in CS classes. Not really a science, for sure :P