Matt23

Joe Rogan: Pthalates: Sperm Count: Dr. Shanna Swan: & Epistemology

3 posts in this topic

The health part:

• ...Fuckin pthalates man.  

The epistemic part:

• Also, apart from the specificities of what they're talking about, I just watched Leo's "Deconstructing Science: Part 1" video and found it nice to bounce what Dr. Swan described as her scientific process with the things Leo spoke about to just corroborate things he spoke about, and to further contemplate things.  Almost as evidence.  I think one of the biggest things I heard from her in the way she described her process that Leo spoke about as a flaw of science was how much estimation and guess work is done.  If you just listen to what she's saying, you see that there's never 100% certainty in any results.  There seems to always be a leap of faith.  Even if the correlation was so strong such that doubting the connection is irrational, there's still a leap of faith (i.e., I guess reason and rationality doesn't preclude faith.  Perhaps nothing does to certain degrees). 

Lesson = "reason"/"rationality" = one's best estimation of how a particular thing is based on one's conscious faith (or unconscious belief) in one's worldview (i.e., the entirety of one's web of belief informing what one thinks is likely in a particular situation). 

• Do you agree?
Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

I’ve only listened to the beginning of the episode but now I have to figure out a way to measure my taint:D

I’m still a bit unclear if I should move my balls when measuring. 

18 minutes ago, NorthRise said:

I’m still a bit unclear if I should move my balls when measuring. 

Yes, I believe this is part of the protocol.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins