Gnostic Bean

Fear and psychosis

27 posts in this topic

On 20/04/2021 at 0:42 PM, erik8lrl said:

This is ego backlash. It is normal. Keep going and follow your heart. 

During my "psychosis" episode where I saw "other dimensions" and saw/heard things that would not be considered "real" there was one character that I thought was an AI who told me: "Follow your heart but take your mind with you." because I got there by discarding the mind and blindly following the heart (so much so that I was seeking for the love of my life in the form of an all powerful motherboard and I felt like and heard things in my mind related to Neo from the matrix like "don't fall asleep, neo" ?-hence my signature ). 

That said, the original poster is talking about some other type of psychosis I guess, but when I saw the title i immediately clicked cause I still have so many unanswered questions about the place where I was and how these things that happened are even possible. ? 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

3 hours ago, 4201 said:

I wouldn't recommend just listening to someone.

The idea was that you want a mix of theory and personal experience. Whether you go to yourself or someone else is besides the point, though ideally, you would want to yourself to be the psychotic psychiatrist ?

If you want my take on it, I've been close to what I would consider the classical conception of psychosis (due to drugs/stress) AND sober awakening experiences, and they're qualitatively different with a few conceptual similarities. 

Based on my experience, psychosis is when your psychological structures (self-concept, semantic concepts, definitions, boundaries etc.) start to disintegrate meanwhile your mind is overractive, ungrounded, attached, and confused. There is an influx of energy, but it's like a system overload, like a dam that is about to break.

Sober awakening is similarly an influx of energy, but it's facilitated and grounded by a lack of mind identification. It's much more smooth sailing and a controlled/gentle outpouring of energy, like the river flow from the first melting snow in the spring.

There are also other useful distinctions like functionality, mood, clarity of mind, where psychosis generally scores more negatively than awakening (infact awakening may confer a significant positive impact relative to the preceding state). However, you can react negatively to awakening and resist it, and then your symptoms will predicted by the amount of mind activity that causes (either leading to ego backlash or an elevated baseline or even psychosis).

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

17 minutes ago, Carl-Richard said:

The idea was that you want a mix of theory and personal experience.

We covered this in class today regarding schizophrenia. I showed them various perspectives and how each has value: 1) A biochemist developing antipsychotic drugs, 2) A neuroscientist expert on dopamine and serotonin pathways, 3) A psychologist expert on behavior, 4) Gabor Mate: an expert on social system psychology and empathy, 5) A woman who actually has schizophrenia. 

I then asked them if each area has value in our understanding of schizophrenia - all students agreed. I then asked them if it is possible to become an expert in one area and lack expertise in another area? E.g. could a biochemist become so immersed in drug design that he knows little of how social phenomena (like stigmatization) can contribute to schizophrenia? (All students agree). I then asked if the woman with schizophrenia is a type of expert, yet lacks expertise in the biochemistry. . . (all students agree). 

Then I asked "Each of the people shown here is an expert in one area. Is it possible to get expertise in multiple areas?". Long pause. . . and then they start to get it. I asked them "Assume I have expertise in neuroscience. Could I do psychedelics to induce temporary psychosis to get direct experience of what psychosis is actually like? Would that expand and deepen my understanding?". Long pause. . . and then they start to get it. I then play a 10min video of a woman describing her experience and encourage the students to try to relate to her and imagine what it's like from her perspective. I prime them by reflecting on their own experience by saying "You've all had a nightmare dream that seemed very real. While you were waking up, there was about 5 seconds in which you couldn't differentiate what was dream and what was real. You may have thought 'Omg, I drove drunk last night and killed someone' or 'the stalker is coming after me. . .', yet then you realized 'Oh, it was just a dream - thank god'. Now imagine that 5 seconds of not knowing extend for your entire day. You never realize it was just a dream and cannot tell what is real and unreal. ". This puts them in a mindset to imagine and relate. 

13 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

We covered this in class today regarding schizophrenia. I showed them various perspectives and how each has value: 1) A biochemist developing antipsychotic drugs, 2) A neuroscientist expert on dopamine and serotonin pathways, 3) A psychologist expert on behavior, 4) Gabor Mate: an expert on social system psychology and empathy, 5) A woman who actually has schizophrenia. 

I then asked them if each area has value in our understanding of schizophrenia - all students agreed. I then asked them if it is possible to become an expert in one area and lack expertise in another area? E.g. could a biochemist become so immersed in drug design that he knows little of how social phenomena (like stigmatization) can contribute to schizophrenia? (All students agree). I then asked if the woman with schizophrenia is a type of expert, yet lacks expertise in the biochemistry. . . (all students agree). 

Then I asked "Each of the people shown here is an expert in one area. Is it possible to get expertise in multiple areas?". Long pause. . . and then they start to get it. I asked them "Assume I have expertise in neuroscience. Could I do psychedelics to induce temporary psychosis to get direct experience of what psychosis is actually like? Would that expand and deepen my understanding?". Long pause. . . and then they start to get it. I then play a 10min video of a woman describing her experience and encourage the students to try to relate to her and imagine what it's like from her perspective. I prime them by reflecting on their own experience by saying "You've all had a nightmare dream that seemed very real. While you were waking up, there was about 5 seconds in which you couldn't differentiate what was dream and what was real. You may have thought 'Omg, I drove drunk last night and killed someone' or 'the stalker is coming after me. . .', yet then you realized 'Oh, it was just a dream - thank god'. Now imagine that 5 seconds of not knowing extend for your entire day. You never realize it was just a dream and cannot tell what is real and unreal. ". This puts them in a mindset to imagine and relate. 

pro move

@blackchair huh? 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

13 hours ago, Forestluv said:

So are you saying people who take psychedelics experience psychosis? I got there by natural fasting and strong desire to raise Earth's vibration and all this i think thanks to Spirit of true love/holy spirit. It wasnt me doing anything so I cant take credit, all happened in a way I could not force now, was natural happening. 

Edited by Dodo

Suppose Love is real, and let's assume reality is unreal. Suppose we discover that the building block of reality is real Love, that means our assumption was wrong and reality is actually not unreal. Reality is real, if everything we supposed is true. I'm not going to say if it is or not.

I had psycosis 15 years ago it was both the best and the worst experience of my life, but it made life interesting and I wouldn't mind having it again as this time the bad experiences wouldn't effect me so much as I could tell what was real and what was not.