Mosess

Body swinging slowly back and forth during meditation

10 posts in this topic

Hey me

I noticed an interesting phenomena that happens as i enter deep as fuck meditative states. 

The body starts moving back and forth slowly and subtly almost as if you are sitting on a swing and there is a slow momentum of back and forth movement.

Any knowledge on what is happening?

Edited by Mosess
vocab

Can relate. 

I'd say it's just a way to spread/keep awareness over the body. To me it feels like I'm tuning into and aligning with my core frequency. The body follows the rhythm of the pulse. It's like it's slowly dancing to God's symphony.

I've seen teachers gently swinging back and forth during their transmissions, too. I suppose it simply comes with those 'higher states'.

Those happen to me frequently. I spin in a circle though. Not  back and forth. 

This happens to  GF when she is high. She does it, but she is not conscious of it. 

Just now, ivankiss said:

dancing to God's symphony

I like that explanation hehe

I've been googling it a lot and even posted the same question here, but found so little information and responses. If I found anything it was short and vague. So I'll just post what my experience with it is in as much as detail as I can and hope all this info and interpretation helps. So here is my essay:

I get this on at least 90%+ of my meditations, I rarely not get this.

This started happening in the last couple of years, or to be more exact, when I changed my meditations to be more "surrender everything" like and less of a "focus/concentration" like. It seems that I wasn't actually meditating prior to that xD.

It usually happens around the 10th minute mark and lasts until about the 20minute mark. Or process wise, after I go trough the entry phase (relax and silence my thoughts and attain a stable focus)  and my personal prayer phase (gratitude, acceptance, forgiveness, humility, empowerment, wisdom seeking and love embodiment) that I do after that. When that is done, around the 10 minute mark I just decide to surrender as much as I can bare and as a result I get swarmed by these various effects.

When it comes to body movements I get them in various forms:
-Back-forth rocking originating from my sacral bone. Just like it would happen while you are rocking on a rocking-chair.
-Left-right variation of the same thing.
-Counter clockwise circular spinning, pivitoting from the same point.
-Back-front, non rocking, but more of a directional, 1 dimensional movement. Like someone garbed my sacral bone and moved it back and forth along with most of the body, or at least the lower portion of it. Its a "fucking" motion.
-Aggressive and shortlisting up-down movements of my knees (I sit either in full lotus, or in half lotus)
-Counter clockwise spinning pivoting from my chest area.
-Fast left-right spinning of my shoulders.
-Fast non articulated, arrhythmical left-right spins of my head.
-Circular spins of my head.
-Back forth rocking of the head,
-Let right rocking of the head.
-Wrist left-right movements.
-Fingers moving and stiffening in weird ways.
-Slight or hard pressure on either the middle of my forehead or the top of my head.
-Teeth or bone buzzing. Especially at joint points.

Other accompanying effects:
-Urge to vomit, especially if it is happening from the chest area or the head.
-Hypnagogic imagery. ( Color clouds/ spheres, branchy tentacles, unknown but familiar faces flashing in and out, weird 6 eyed faces) i get them lets say 10% of the time.
-Vibration layers, not thicker than 1cm, moving across my skin, especially starting from the area exactly at the point between my nipples and my armpits and wrapping around my face, arms or back.
-Intense chest/back area or full body shivers.
-Face twitches and grimacing.
-Feeling of ever increasing fullness and joy.
-Feelings of slight inner body fluid like movements lasting less than a second. Many moving from my chest area and radiating across.

All of these can be very light, but sometimes they can get very aggressive and intense. The very process, especially at the end feels .... orgasmic, its better than sex. After it is done I might just straight out end my meditation, laugh like crazy, even cry from joy while laughing, or start laughing about me not knowing why am I laughing. xD At that point I am in the present moment and can see everything as still, frozen HD. Time seems to be slowed down , or at least it runs at 10% of its capacity. I have smooth and controlled focus too.

My interpretation is that this is energy moving trough the body. And the body itself has an intelligence of how to deal with this. It will do whatever it needs distribute the energy wherever needed, it will help you clear blockages and push out any stagnant or "negative" energy.

What I do when it starts happening is, as my mind focuses on any of these movements or effects, I just notice them and !!gently!! move my focus back on my breathing or on my forehead and keep surrendering, note that there is a body component into this surrender, its not all a mind game, you need to surrender with your whole being, or at least as much as you can grasp from your being. The surrender needs to be honest and not fake/forced.

The more you can do this, the bigger the yield. Aggressive movements of focus and trying to control the body feeling = fighting it. If you want it to stop you can certainly do it, I've done it many times, but I like it way more when it happens. The reward is just immense, I don't want to spoil it so I just keep surrendering.

I also noticed that the body movement effects start from your pelvis area and move upwards, many times in the same session you can get spins from different parts of the body. Pelvis>chest>head>no more spins. And in some sessions they will start from the chest and go for the head next. Regardless of what is going on, I do the same, notice, gently move my focus and continue with the max surrender of my whole being.

These movements are also called "spontaneous kryas", evidently, judging by the name, there has to be more about it in krya yoga books. I haven't done any krya yoga yet. If anyone has anything on it. I would be delighted to hear about it.

Edited by Yog

@Yog Wow! I can relate to few of those,  you are on a larger rollercoaster ehheh 

Thanks for sharing! ?

@Mosess @Yog 

You might want to take in information about Kundalini awakening & the process. I recommend advaitashram.org (their blog) as a valuable source of knowledge. 

Edited by iTommy

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing, Love is knowing I am everything, and between the two my life moves."

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

@EddieEddie1995 @iTommy

Thanks for sharing it man, I'll check it out.

Sometimes I tend ti get worried a bit, because if I get a spontaneous kundalini awakening and end up frozen and twisting on the floor, there is no serious yoga master in the next 1000 km from here to assist me. I guess I have to set that in place in case anything serious happen and also educate myself on krya yoga. I also have the free books that were shared on this forum few years ago.

Edited by Yog

@Mosess @Yog I'm replying to yog specifically here but you both should read this. Kriya means action. It's not directly linked to kriya yoga, it's just the same word that are pointing to similar things. What you are experiencing is classic energy symptoms. You can increase your prana by any kind of sadhana but energy based sadhana like kriya yoga or kundalini yoga does it more deliberately. 

Every emotion is energetic. Every emotion has a force behind it. This is the intensity of the emotion. You can be irritated at something and you can be so enraged they you punch it. Same emotion different energy level. The energy calls forth action. The only emotions that call forth action is emotions that feel incomplete. The reason you would punch something is because you know you would feel satisfied and a sadistic kind of joy from it. Unresolved emotions seek catharsis.

One more thing you need to understand about emotions is that they energetically exist in the body. Love is in the heart, anger is in the guts etc. This is mapped out perfectly by the chakra system. There are 7 main chakras and many minor chakras. You should read about these. 

So when we get an increase in overall prana, unresolved emotion in our chakras become stronger. This energy then wants to be turned into action, so moving the area that the energy exists in gives some relief to this stuck, congested energy. So, a kriya is a subconscious way to relieve unresolved emotion. If you move in circles during meditation that is really movement of the lower abdomen which is probably a way that you subconsciously relieve unresolved emotions in the root or sacral chakra. If it's the root chakra it's some kind of discomfort or fear that is seeking catharsis in grounding. If it's the sacral chakra it's some kind of alienation, loneliness or horniness that is seeking catharsis in embrace.

Energy has 3 forms, solid, liquid and gas. Unresolved emotions will feel like a lump. This is solid form it tenses up surrounding muscles. For example if we repress something we want to say we will feel a lump in our throat (throat chakra) and it will tense up. The liquid form is when this energy starts to move. A kriya is prana in it's liquid form. The gas form is catharsis, it's spacious and complete. An orgasm is a great example of this. 

An example of an emotion that goes from solid to gas: We are horny/solid sexual energy. We do a sexual act/sexual energy becomes liquid and moving. The sexual act pays of in a orgasm/ the sexual liquid energy becomes cathartic gas form.

Kriyas are a call to action in getting to know what energy you have that now becoming liquid that is seeking catharsis in gas form. Find that unresolved emotion and open the chakra that the emotion is an expression of. I've written an exercise for opening the second chakra that you might want to try to get a sense for how to open chakras in general:

Does this all make sense? Let me know.

If you guys seek more information on kriyas and other energy symptoms i could not recommend Tara Springett's Healing Kundalini Syndrome more. Tara is earths most experienced kundalini therapist.

The road to God is paved with bliss.