Cocolove

My Life Purpose V. College

7 posts in this topic

TLDR I like healthy food production I hate college should I drop out or stick it out?

To start off, I found the life purpose course amazing. I took it twice and it took a lot of work, but I went gradually from having absolutely no sense of life purpose and being nearly completely clueless as to what I wanted to do to having a very strong sense of live purpose that consumes most of my thoughts. The first time I took it I was a junior in high school, now I am a freshman in college, and just finished the 3 months of contemplating my life purpose every morning (an assignment I started around the time I finished the course). 

My life purpose statement is "I cook and farm ecological food, making people and the earth healthy" I care about beyond-organic, permacultural, biodynamic, regenerative, sustainable and healthy food production. I love gardening and cooking as mediums. My vision for the future long term involves a farm with a restaurant, where I make an impact by changing peoples minds about food production. I love ecovillages and am interested in having a community surrounding this. I'm open to how this will actually play out, any of the above might take place.

I've gone through a series of small bets, and am now on a pretty big one. Gardening in my backyard last summer wasn't an intentional small bet, but still was a great one. Last fall, I went and worked on an organic farm for a month. This summer, I am starting a market garden. I will invest around $1000 or less into it, so am keeping it low budget and a learning experience. I've found a great place with people letting me use their land.

I have a full ride scholarship, I in fact get paid extra, it is absurd but I'm very fortunate. If it wasn't for this I would have dropped out a while ago, I think I definitely have enough discipline and determination to do much better without school. In my case, the money and degree security seem worth it. I think I will stay in college just to be safe, but I have been having doubts. My classes are sometimes good, im taking a sustainable agriculture course next semester, but overall, college is soul draining, unenjoyable, and now is starting to really get in the way. To really pursue market gardening I need springs and falls for harvest. This spring college is online and im working 20+ hours per week getting starting. This fall i will go to college and my harvest will be fucked. Might have to catch a flight back. I feel as if I could be doing so much but am wasting my time with school. If I was working a job I could find a stable place to live and start market gardening spring through fall and get to a point where that's my living in 3-4 years.

I was very excited to hear Leo's advice, but his video on the topic ended up suggesting basically that if you have enough drive it's not worth it, it's hard to factor in the value when I am actually making money from college.

Thanks!

Lots more to say lmk what might be helpful info.

Edited by Cocolove

Wow! Sounds like a super cool life purpose! Love it!

Preliminary comment

I'd say this. I only know this text that I see before me. I don't know you, only you really know you.

Also, there are many things one could talk about here, in relation to your post, but for want of time I'll just pick a couple things :)

1) Overcoming Resistance

However, I sense that the Sedona Method might help you. Gura talks about it here.

Letting go of your attachments to things will be something that allows you to better see aspects of what you really want to do. Gura also talks about resistance as one of the core concepts in the course!

It may be that you have an attachment to finishing college, and when you consider not finishing it there is intense resistance. If that, or something similar is so, then letting go could really help you. 

2) Limiting beliefs

You might consider doing some limiting belief work. Having said that, you sound really positive in general!

However, I noticed that when you said "This fall i will go to college and my harvest will be fucked". The law of attraction means that what we focus on is more likely to occur. Perhaps, it is certain that if you go to college, your harvest will be fucked. However, even though I don't know much about your chosen medium, I am presuming it is not, in truth, certain!

Perhaps, you could do some inner work on some limiting beliefs. It might help!

End

Hope this comment provides you value!

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” - Goethe

"There are no bad parts" - Schwartz

@SLuxy That's very helpful I look forward to watching that video. 

You're definitely right about limiting beliefs I should watch that course soon. This is overall a very positive situation with lots of potential I just need to see it that way more and not focus on and exaggerate the limitations.

Thanks!

Stay in school imo

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

What came to my mind was this "long-term thinking" principle that Leo talks about in the course. Is staying in college going to help you fullfil your life purpose or is dropping out now going to empower you more? Yeah... a tough choice man, you never know.

Ultimately, my advice here would be something like - sit down, listen deeply and find out what you are supposed to do now. 

Use the Prayer Swat Team!

@Cocolove You're welcome!

A book I have found to be effective, in numerous aspects, for overcoming limiting beliefs is 'feeling Good', by David Burns.

It could be a useful book for overcoming some of your own limiting beliefs.

Good luck!

"I wanted only to try to live in accord with my true Self. Why was that so very difficult?" - Herse

"As soon as you trust yourself, you will know how to live.” - Goethe

"There are no bad parts" - Schwartz

@Thought Art Why? I think the biggest reason would be the degree (environmental studies) would be a safety net for a decent job. Might be good for saving money before I can garden/farm full time.

@okulele Good advice, will sit down and think for a while this summer. Long term it's hard to tell, is the degree or the young-person-time more valuable long term.

@SLuxy Looks like good stuff