Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dflores321

Why do conservatives always think society is doomed?

45 posts in this topic

I noticed that conservatives always catastrophize every societal change and it always leads to the thought that everything will go to shit. 

I got into a debate with my mother (she's conservative) earlier because she said that theres gonna be another civil war in america. I pretty much laughed it off and told her that while we may have a cultural revolution, it doesnt mean we're gonna be at war shooting each other. 

This inspired my contemplation on this topic. 

What are your thoughts?


" ..." 

-The Buddha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've noticed this as well, so many Conservatives are hopped up on the idea that we need to stock up guns and that there is going to be a civil war in the future.

It's all the toxic right wing propaganda media they consume.


''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@Husseinisdoingfine one insight I've had is that conservatives fundamentally think that the old traditions we had are what will save us now if we bring them back, but they fail to realize that our current society is a direct result of our old traditions. 

So to put it simply in an example:

-culturally enforced monogamy is directly linked to and simultaneous creates increased sexuality (LGBTQ, sex with multiple partners over a lifetime, etc.) and hook up culture in the long run. But conservatives think the solution is to go back to culturally enforced monogamy without seeing that this inevitably creates the highly sexualized society we have now.

^just a lil insight I wanted to share, it may be an obvious thing. 

And yes, they also have downwards thinking, you know that whole "everything's going to shit, the kids are on their iPhones, everyone's becoming dumber, the frogs are turning gay!"

Edited by dflores321

" ..." 

-The Buddha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conservative ideology is rooted in fear and survival, so obviously they're going to be paranoid.

The survival oriented mind is always paranoid.


''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

 

They are paranoid, hyper vigilant fear mongering type of people. 

Of course there is nuance and there are good conservatives as well. 

But a majority of these people are drenched in fear, xenophobia, lack of openness, judgement, skepticism bordering on paranoia. 

 

Here comes the twist though. 

The real question is - is their fear legit? 

 

Edited by Preety_India

INTP loner..... Live a Roman.  Die a Roman...... Nothing else but to enjoy  the rest of my dream. Love it. (I'm more Roman than you'll ever be ) only guys with zero ego and zero passive aggressive can talk to me, rest need not bother 

Preety preety

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple of hours ago Vaush was doing the same shit on his stream. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Opo I'm totally open to leftists doing this as well, but you cant say it's anywhere as bad and stupid quite frankly as conservatives. 

A bill was proposed in florida that would make it legal to drive through protestors. A strong reaction to this is understandable lol. 

Gay marriage becoming legal, a strong reaction to this is ridiculous coming from our point of view here, although it's obviously understandable as its spiral stage blue. 


" ..." 

-The Buddha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know if this unique to conservatism. Pretty much every side believes the word is fucked in some way and seeks to change it. The question is if you’re doing it in healthy or unhealthy ways. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

@Opo I'm totally open to leftists doing this as well, but you cant say it's anywhere as bad and stupid quite frankly as conservatives. 

A good example would be the recent election.

A lot of people on the left feared that Trump would make an authoritarian attempt to overthrow an election result. And if successful, would degrade democracy and co vert the U.S. into an authoritarian state. 

A lot of people on the right believed the election was being stolen by communists, including election fraud mediated by Hugo Chavez, Venezuelan communists, a deep state and a Kraken. As well, there was fear that democrats are satan-worshipping pedophiles that eat children. 

Of the different forms of fear mongering, I would say the right was more exaggerated and irrational.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

24 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

A lot of people on the right believed the election was being stolen by communists, including election fraud mediated by Hugo Chavez, Venezuelan communists, a deep state and a Kraken. As well, there was fear that democrats are satan-worshipping pedophiles that eat children. 

@Forestluv jesus christ 😂. So much worse than the left.

Edited by dflores321

" ..." 

-The Buddha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conservatives need a good dose of the Aztecs. That will straighten out all the fears instantly.

 


INTP loner..... Live a Roman.  Die a Roman...... Nothing else but to enjoy  the rest of my dream. Love it. (I'm more Roman than you'll ever be ) only guys with zero ego and zero passive aggressive can talk to me, rest need not bother 

Preety preety

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Preety_India hehe. 

What do you guys think will be the way that conservatives disappear? 

My guess Is that within the next 20-30 years, the intense conservatives will naturally pass away and allow the "Neo Marxists" to have more influence. 


" ..." 

-The Buddha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, dflores321 said:

@Preety_India hehe. 

What do you guys think will be the way that conservatives disappear? 

My guess Is that within the next 20-30 years, the intense conservatives will naturally pass away and allow the "Neo Marxists" to have more influence. 

Today's conservatives will die off, yet today's youth will be conservatives in the future. 

Nearly all my undergraduate students support same-sex marriage. If I say "But marriage is between a man and a woman", they see me as a conservative boomer. Yet when I ask them about human - A.I. marriage, they get uncomfortable and exclaim "No! Marriage is between two human beings!". In 50 years, that will be the conservative position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Forestluv said:

Today's conservatives will die off, yet today's youth will be conservatives in the future. 

Nearly all my undergraduate students support same-sex marriage. If I say "But marriage is between a man and a woman", they see me as a conservative boomer. Yet when I ask them about human - A.I. marriage, they get uncomfortable and exclaim "No! Marriage is between two human beings!". In 50 years, that will be the conservative position. 

Why won't a lot of conservative republicans be more liberal to moderate Republicans? Actually, why aren't there a lot of centrist Republicans?

Edited by Hardkill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conservatives seem to be less afraid of Covid than liberals.  Everyone is afraid of something.  So, there could be some other explanation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hardkill said:

Why won't a lot of conservative republicans be more liberal to moderate Republicans? Actually, why aren't there a lot of centrist Republicans?

Polarization is profitable in many areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, Forestluv said:

Polarization is highly profitable.

If that's true, then why are most Democrats are centrists, but most Republicans are not centrists?

 

 

Edited by Hardkill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hardkill said:

If that's true, then why are most Democrats are centrists, but most Republicans are not centrists

Ds and Rs do not work together. Nearly all votes are along party lines. As well, during elections, they characterized their opponent as an extremist. And polarization is great business flor media - cable news and social media. Trump was awesome for ratings and clicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forestluv said:

Ds and Rs do not work together. Nearly all votes are along party lines. As well, during elections, they characterized their opponent as an extremist. And polarization is great business flor media - cable news and social media. Trump was awesome for ratings and clicks.

Yeah, but again most Democrats are moderates like the third way Clintonian democrats, whereas most republicans are far-right conservatives. 

Also, Ds and Rs used to worked together a lot more before the 1980s. Joe Manchin, Kyrsten Sinema, and Joe Biden wish to bring it back to those better old days of politics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hardkill Some recent polling suggests polarization is decreasing a bit. Biden has nearly 60% of approval. And even though most Rs disapprove of Biden, about half of Rs approve of Biden’s demeanor - which is a good sign.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0