Sunchild

Can we stop with the use of the term "girls" in this forum? Thank you.

17 posts in this topic

I mean, are there that many middle schoolers here?  Maybe you can get away with it describing females under 18 (if you of course are also), but if you are older than that the proper term is "women".

You're welcome.

I mostly agree. I usually use the term women, but "girl" seems perfectly fine in many situations, like when literally referring to "college girls." I mean, "college women?" Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue as nicely, lol! Though I still do generally refer to college girls as women.

Edited by The0Self

i agree.  why is it that people still refer to women as girls? but they don't refer to guys as boys? 

Bruh, let people use whatever terms they like. 

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

I think any term is fine. I often use the word boy for a man and girl for women. I don't see the problem. 

Gotta a problem? Don't read. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

"Girls" is used in the same context as when women use the word "guys".  Guys and girls.  I'd imagine men won't give a shit if you call us "guys" if we're over 18.  We're not going to flip out and demand you start calling us men.  Even "boys" doesn't really bother most guys lol. 

Whatever weirdo mainstream woke idea you got that from, maybe you need to pay attention to the things you consume online and realize you might be the middle schooler you're so judgmentally pointing to in this thread.

2 minutes ago, hoodrow trillson said:

"Girls" is used in the same context as when women use the word "guys".  Guys and girls.  I'd imagine men won't give a shit if you call us "guys" if we're over 18.  We're not going to flip out and demand you start calling us men.  Even "boys" doesn't really bother most guys lol. 

Whatever weirdo mainstream woke idea you got that from, maybe you need to pay attention to the things you consume online and realize you might be the middle schooler you're so judgmentally pointing to in this thread.

we should start saying Gals. guys and gals sounds better.  I never hear anyone using the term boy... actually I  remember I did one time and someone got offended by it.   guy is not offending but boy is apparently

Edited by intotheblack

2 minutes ago, intotheblack said:

we should start saying Gals. guys and gals sounds better.  I never hear anyone using the term boy... actually I  remember I did one time and someone got offended by it.   guy is not offending but boy is apparently

I think we should honestly realize the context in the word being used, than further fragment language to say the same damn thing in the end lol.  Some girls really like to be called girls, it's endearing to them.  I can see some women hating "gals" because it makes them sound old.  Like if I go up to a woman and start to call her "lady" or "ma'am"--it means the same thing but not in context.

Well, I've heard boy being used by women like as "I hope there are some cute boys out tonight" when they're going out.  Or describing to their friends that they "have a crush on this boy" or something like that.  But trust me, most men* don't care and won't kick in your door in for calling them boy.  Sometimes boy is used in a flirty manner too.

*some men do have a problem with their masculinity being threatened to take that as you will.

I actually more often use the word guy. Much more comfortable. It doesn't need much explanation and doesn't feel as forced as using the word man. 

I personally find the usage of the word man and woman a bit old and hyper or dramatic, I don't know, but it always makes it look biblical or something. 

I don't find the words man and woman modern enough. 

So i use the word guy. 

And for women in general (both girls and women) I can use gals. 

I don't want to constantly think about someone's age, that creates an additional layer of complexity and mental work, to keep differentiating between groups of people based on age. 

So i just use the general term guy. 

I want to be able to describe males and females using single terms no matter what age. 

So i can use guys and girls or guys and gals. 

That's better. 

13 minutes ago, hoodrow trillson said:

I can see some women hating "gals" because it makes them sound old.

haha i find it amusing, it has a nice ring to it 

13 minutes ago, hoodrow trillson said:

Well, I've heard boy being used by women like as "I hope there are some cute boys out tonight" when they're going out.  Or describing to their friends that they "have a crush on this boy" or something like that.  But trust me, most men* don't care and won't kick in your door in for calling them boy.  Sometimes boy is used in a flirty manner too.

*some men do have a problem with their masculinity being threatened to take that as you will.

hmm ya true i have heard that type of thing before lol 

2 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I personally find the usage of the word man and woman a bit old and hyper or dramatic, I don't know, but it always makes it look biblical or something. 

I don't find the words man and woman modern enough. 

yeah its a weird one..  i mean technically once a woman has her period she has entered "womanhood"  and in previous years girls would become a woman at age 16-18 by having children very young and then being married age 20.  they would be seen as a woman from then on.  whereas today that doesn't happen until late 20s - 30s so probably why people now think of a woman as being 30+ 

2 minutes ago, intotheblack said:

haha i find it amusing, it has a nice ring to it 

hmm ya true i have heard that type of thing before lol 

yeah its a weird one..  i mean technically once a woman has her period she has entered "womanhood"  and in previous years girls would become a woman at age 16-18 by having children very young and then being married age 20.  they would be seen as a woman from then on.  whereas today that doesn't happen until late 20s - 30s so probably why people now think of a woman as being 30+ 

True. That's why I find it weird. 

5 hours ago, intotheblack said:

but they don't refer to guys as boys? 

False. "Night out with the boys" etc.

Generally I just say woman though.

Edited by The0Self

8 hours ago, Sunchild said:

I mean, are there that many middle schoolers here?  Maybe you can get away with it describing females under 18 (if you of course are also), but if you are older than that the proper term is "women".

You're welcome.

MMMkay. Thnx. Bye.

Sounds like a pseudo problem.. Who’s offended? Why? ?

Is it the term, or the emotional reaction to the term that triggers you? Men can feel insecure being called a boy, for example when they look much younger than their age, have a baby face, high voice, are short & skinny and especially when they got teased for it in the past. They tend to compare themselves to other males and form an inferiority complex. Being called a boy confirms and reinforces that.

Same can happen with women. For example, I used to work in the catering industry some months and one time, I asked my female boss to hand over some things to me because it was busy at the bar and I had my hands full, and later she flipped at me because she wants to be respected like a real woman, and not some girl that's being ordered around and walked over. She was clearly frustrated about the fact that she feels not respected and treated like a little cute girly girl. No no, she wants to be a strong grown up independant woman and give the orders instead of take them. I empathised with her. It was clearly bothering her.