freejoy

Psychedelics for Schizophrenia?

23 posts in this topic

I have a friend who has schizophrenia. She thinks psychedelics gives one the schizophrenia experience. : )

Would psychedelics help her with her schizophrenia?

have you ever tried psychedelics yourself?

10 minutes ago, ilja said:

have you ever tried psychedelics yourself?

No, never done any drugs except marijuana.

Edit: I'm planning on trying it. I've been doing research about it and so far it's been positive.

Edited by freejoy

ABSOLUTELY NO.

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

11 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

ABSOLUTELY NO.

How come you say that? Has it been tried?

Common sense. 

Psychedelics cause hallucinations. Why would anyone want that when hallucinations is what they are struggling with? 

I would say there's a higher risk of something going wrong with this combo.  Be careful.

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

Psychedelics can give you the schizophrenia experience.

I have read reports from people with schizophrenia who took lsd and they said before lsd, the voices in their head were angry and hateful, very negative but after they took lsd the voices became loving and positive.

If you do it take good care of set and setting and have a trip sitter for her. I think it's worth a try but she probably has to go off her meds to be able to trip.

Edited by acidgoofy

So you think people with schizophrenia can never get Enlightened?

Psychedelic and Schizophrenic experience may have overlap based on subjective descriptions and brain studies. 

Yet I wouldn’t assume that psychedelically inducing a schizophrenic-like state in some that has schizophrenia will help them. It’s not like the two cancel each other out. I suppose it has a chance of helping, yet I would say it also has a chance of making things worse. I imagine risks are higher. Perhaps using a low dose. 

There haven’t been any psychedelic clinical studies on this. People with schizophrenia get declined for the studies.

you're playing with fire. there is a reason most retreats don't take people with schizophrenia and the ones that do are cowboy operations. they already have a very light reference point and you're gonna leave them w/o one which makes life unlivable. 

Edited by Lyubov

If the person with schizophrenia is on antipsychotics, then those medications already fill the serotonin receptors that psychedelics need to fill to produce their hallucinating effects or that's how I understand it. Therefore, someone taking antipsychotics would have to stop or reduce their medications and/or take a much larger (perhaps not safe?) dosage of psychedelics.

I think it would be stupid, unless medically supervised.

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

17 hours ago, Preety_India said:

Common sense. 

Psychedelics cause hallucinations. Why would anyone want that when hallucinations is what they are struggling with? 

Psychedelics can play a part in actually healing schizophrenia. There is research of this done during the 60s.

14 hours ago, Forestluv said:

There haven’t been any psychedelic clinical studies on this. People with schizophrenia get declined for the studies.

Pretty sure there have been some studies done by Stanislav Grof.

If she need information on how it will interact with the meds there is a person specialized for this: https://www.spiritpharmacist.com/

According to Dr David Hawkins most if not all mental problems are ego problems. If I've understood him correctly. He was a psychiatrist and Enlightened.

I've also seen on YT a doctor who apparently was healing people with love by creating a loving accepting environment.

Personally I think it is about love. That's why I was thinking psychedelics might help one feel lovingness and maybe it might help.

Thank you for the replies.

2 hours ago, Javfly33 said:

Psychedelics can play a part in actually healing schizophrenia. There is research of this done during the 60s.

This means nothing. 

You're acting as though some current doctor has prescribed psychedelics as the cure for schizophrenia 

You know how dangerous that can be? 

@Preety_India 

Psychedelics can heal more than can they produce illness. You are basically spreading misinformation here and the typical bias anti-psychedelics of mainstream culture.

27 minutes ago, Javfly33 said:

@Preety_India 

Psychedelics can heal more than can they produce illness. You are basically spreading misinformation here and the typical bias anti-psychedelics of mainstream culture.

Oh come on. She's spreading misinformation? I could say the same of you! ..and can I remind you that psychedelics are illegal. So, the bias is warranted.

Do you have a medical study that "proves" psychedelics can cure severe mental illness, such as schizophrenia? Please site the source here. If not, then you are just speculating, which isn't evidence.

Edited by Ananta

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

just to add something, i have been told by someone who has bipolar psychosis (whatever that is) that he uses topo (5 meo dmt) to stop his outbreaks.

Edited by ilja

2 hours ago, ilja said:

just to add something, i have been told by someone who has bipolar psychosis (whatever that is) that he uses topo (5 meo dmt) to stop his outbreaks.

Hallucinogens can actually push someone with bipolar into having severe mania that could cause psychosis, not prevent it.

Psychedelics are very risky for someone with bipolar and the risks out way the benefits for most. Maybe your friend is an exception.

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?