Husseinisdoingfine

Is it true that with meditation, intelligence will increase?

25 posts in this topic

This is a pretty profound claim by OSHO, is it true that meditation will increase my mental capacity to do complex things?

 


''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consciousness is intelligent and creative. Your capacity to Self-realize releases you to tap into that depthless ocean. True intelligence is nothing more than seeing clearly, which resolves to simply being. It is not about getting a perfect score on the SAT. The more present you are, the more conductive your conditioned brain will be, and the luminosity of your infinitely abundant nature will shine through. That is the source of genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lets say there is a hundred tasks, each somewhat different to each other that your are to perform on a span of 3 hours, all of which is rather mechanical, logical etc. Will meditation alone increase focus and decrease creative and intuitive background noise? yes i believe so, and will this help you achieve better on this test? yes i believe so. If by "you" it is meant the generality of many people. 

I think the meditation makes you a better achiever at this test, i do not however think it makes you smarter for i define inteligence to be ACCIDENTAL to the will and the specifics of exterior objects and sequences.

I do consequently not believe meditation increases also that which is accidental to the specifics of sequences and objects, not in that meditation is itself such an object but in that inteligence is nothing without the generality or the apearence of any/every object for it to merge with.

Wisdom, consciousness, intelect, intuition are attributes neither of which seem emergent by themselves, they are all conjoined with mechanical forces (inteligence). The mistake is to be way to eager in believing they only ever bottleneck eachother, for that the totality is far to dynamic, genius, artistic and weird, almost devine.


“Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions.”
― David Hume

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends. Normally it is quite helpful. Problem happens when you get disconnected from reality so reality becomes foreign to you motivation dies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, no.  If you want to increase your IQ, you're better off with regular intense exercise, like playing a team sport such as soccer or basketball.  Back when I played varsity soccer, with practices every day I improved my SAT scores 150 pts. compared to when I took it the first time before the season began (and with little prep.)  And this was back when the SAT resembled an IQ test (scores from that time are accepted by High IQ societies.)  

We're talking as much as 1/2 S.D. difference (about 6 or 7 pts.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meditation + OneNote = Genious 

I probably raised my IQ for at least 40. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no scientifically proven technique to increase your IQ - this has been studied for 50+ years and so far, noone did it. In fact, if you would find a way,then there is literally a nobel prize and cult like status in the psychology-community waiting for you at the end. Now, some people will tell you they did, but they dont know what they are talking about. "Personal experience" doesnt count here, IQ is a well defined scientifc concept.  

Now please notice that IQ DOES NOT equal Intelligence. 
What meditation will give you is first of all a single focused mind, which will let you use your brain more efficiently. Second to that, there are some other kinds of intellgences that will proportionally increase with your level of conciousness. Meditation definitely sharpened my intuition, which sometimes has much greater influence in my life, than a higher IQ could ever deliver. Other people experience a greater amount of creativity...

IQ matters (in some way) - but there is an argument to be made about the general impact of this concept being way less clear than we think it is 
Nassim Taleb once wrote an interesting article about this topic: https://medium.com/incerto/iq-is-largely-a-pseudoscientific-swindle-f131c101ba39

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

This is a pretty profound claim by OSHO, is it true that meditation will increase my mental capacity to do complex things?

It’s not true, it’s Truth. That will be the experience, as experience is made of intelligence and the facade is the claiming of it, which is thoughts, which dissipate in meditation. 


MEDITATIONS TOOLS  ActualityOfBeing.com  GUIDANCE SESSIONS

NONDUALITY LOA  My Youtube Channel  THE TRUE NATURE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, EddieEddie1995 said:

@undeather What does IQ mean for you? 

a measure of someone's "intelligence" found from special tests 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Meditation increases your ability to focus your attention on one object for a long period of time.   This ability is extremely useful for understanding complex ideas and solving problems

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, undeather said:

There is no scientifically proven technique to increase your IQ - this has been studied for 50+ years and so far, noone did it

While IQ is largely irrelevant, the above quote is actually false. A game called "dual n-back" has been shown many times to reliably increase IQ, especially when "lure trials" are introduced. The mechanism for this seems to be a very prominent boost in working memory capacity -- apparently so fat is this boost, it actually reliably transfers to a measured-IQ increase of about 5 points.

Playing the game is HARD, but you can reliably progress in it, even though it's a task that seems almost impossible to get to level 6 in if you are just starting -- after just a couple days you'll probably be at least to level 5. Every time you play the game with decent effort, even for just 5-10 minutes, you dream VERY intensely that night (I've noticed this as have many others), indicating it's perhaps doing some kind of rewiring, or bolstering of existing connections.

I don't think they've used actually super-advanced meditation as an intervention though. My guess is it would have an even more prominent effect.

 

A far as the topic at hand is concerned, it is quite clear to me that meditation improves intelligence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, The0Self said:

While IQ is largely irrelevant, the above quote is actually false. A game called "dual n-back" has been shown many times to reliably increase IQ, especially when "lure trials" are introduced. The mechanism for this seems to be a very prominent boost in working memory capacity -- apparently so fat is this boost, it actually reliably transfers to a measured-IQ increase of about 5 points.

Playing the game is HARD, but you can reliably progress in it, even though it's a task that seems almost impossible to get to level 6 in if you are just starting -- after just a couple days you'll probably be at least to level 5. Every time you play the game with decent effort, even for just 5-10 minutes, you dream VERY intensely that night (I've noticed this as have many others), indicating it's perhaps doing some kind of rewiring, or bolstering of existing connections.

I don't think they've used actually super-advanced meditation as an intervention though. My guess is it would have an even more prominent effect.

 

A far as the topic at hand is concerned, it is quite clear to me that meditation improves intelligence.

Thats not true
 it doesn't.

So far, scientists can unanimously agree that doing n-back tasks improves your performance on one thing... n-back tasks. Not particularly useful right?

Along come Jaeggi et al. in 2008, claiming that practicing the n-back can also improve measures of working memory and fluid intelligence. Awesome! A whole industry of "cognitive neuroscience approved" brain training is born.

Unfortunately, when other labs gathered round to replicate these results, nothing would stick. Participants got better at the n-back over time, but this training never transferred to any other domains - in other words, no one got any smarter.

For every failed replication of the original results actually published, there were ten that sat moldering in an academic's file-drawer. Eventually most serious scientists had moved on to more interesting problems, but unfortunately the internet did not. To this day all those brain training companies are still around, wasting peoples' time and money.

I have studied this topics pretty deep - its also involved with my day to day business. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

37 minutes ago, undeather said:

Thats not true
 it doesn't.

So far, scientists can unanimously agree that doing n-back tasks improves your performance on one thing... n-back tasks. Not particularly useful right?

Along come Jaeggi et al. in 2008, claiming that practicing the n-back can also improve measures of working memory and fluid intelligence. Awesome! A whole industry of "cognitive neuroscience approved" brain training is born.

Unfortunately, when other labs gathered round to replicate these results, nothing would stick. Participants got better at the n-back over time, but this training never transferred to any other domains - in other words, no one got any smarter.

For every failed replication of the original results actually published, there were ten that sat moldering in an academic's file-drawer. Eventually most serious scientists had moved on to more interesting problems, but unfortunately the internet did not. To this day all those brain training companies are still around, wasting peoples' time and money.

I have studied this topics pretty deep - its also involved with my day to day business. 

Hmm. I'm willing to accept I may have been mistaken. It was a long time ago that I did some research on it. But from what I remember, every time lure trials were used in a particular way, it did result in a statistically significant measured-IQ boost. Could have been a retest effect, but that doesn't explain why the lure trials gained more than the non-lure group and why the non-lure group gained a nonsignificant amount more than the control. IDK.

Nonetheless, advanced meditation almost certainly increases intelligence, in my experience. It's only anecdotal, but I have great confidence in that. And that hasn't been tested -- it takes thousands of hours of meditating in a way that is fairly unknown to most researchers. I know technically it has been tested, but really what I'm talking about specifically has not been tested.

 

Edit: oh and yeah of course n-back tasks generally do not work, but it really does look like dual n-back + lure trials improves IQ slightly but significantly... What am I missing?

And there seems to be some theoretical basis for triple (maybe even 4+) modality n-back + lure trials perhaps producing an effect as well.

Considering lure trials are absent from basically all of these brain training apps that actually even use dual n-back, I don't think companies are really banking on the direct research, just speculative superficial sensationalistic glances at the data by the masses of nootropic enthusiasts.

Dual (or higher modality) n-back with lure trials included seems like it could have a strong propensity to induce a placebo effect, which in this case could be considered an actual effect if it were to work.

 

It seems to me like progressive intense exercise, diet, socialization, standard meditation, and psychedelics could potentially increase it, but I don't know.

Edited by The0Self

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The0Self said:

It seems to me like progressive intense exercise, diet, socialization, standard meditation, and psychedelics could potentially increase it, but I don't know.

You don't need a test to know that! It is how it is! 

Meditation and other practices gives you space, clarity, focus, wisdom, knowledge (which is not separated from "IQ", holons) so you could see things from different perspectives, which means that when you do IQ test you will perform way better then you would before doing that.  It also depends on your stress, fear, anxiety levels when you are doing it. Guess what! Meditation helps you reduce that! 

IQ tests are bullshit for "smart" people so they could feel better, they create an identity around it which makes them suffer, which makes them stupid, which stops them from seeing the bigger picture. IQ is stage orange. 

If you think that food, meditation and alians fart in space  doesn't impact your IQ (which is totally relative), then you are doing something wrong 🤪

 

Im being defensive about my meditation and OneNote practise here :P

Also, I haven't researched all those things which rules out the idea of me being yellow. But what I know is that I will always pick happines instead of being stage orange guy who thinks that he is smart and gets defensive about it when I say that brain and IQ is just an idea in hes head, and it is how he think it is, like I do. No head also. Hello! 

Huehueheuehej

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, undeather said:

There is no scientifically proven technique to increase your IQ

Well, it depends what you mean by "increase."

Exercising will increase your IQ test scores compared to not exercising, but in essence, it's your "ceiling."

In other words, you have a certain physical limit that you can maximize -- but you can also fall short of it through neglect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Great to be mensa member that doesn't have to  use huehuehue and celebrate his own.... 

You are still talking with made up people. 

🤫

Beleiving in "others"  "you" are "better" somehow. 

Love my nation where 60% of those who beleive they are people vote for.... also love my fellow "enlightened" ones. 

Edited by Zeroguy

I am a God. I am Infinite Love. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can help you think better. Since meditation trains you to focus and clears your mind, you can increase your contemplation and problem-solving capacity. When you meditate for many years, you will reach a point where you can control your thoughts and turn them on or off. This is really powerful since the level of concentration you have in the state of no-mind/flow is something most people can't reach as easily. You will find that you are more creative, intelligent, logical, yet intuitive as you reach this point in your practice. This doesn't mean your IQ increased; rather you simply learn to use your mind at full compacity, whereas before, you were too easily distracted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

obviously yes. meditation trains you to empty your mind. How will the processor work better, in a state of peace, spaciousness and empty serenity, or full of anxiety, 3 levels of thought at the same time, noise, anticipation, memories? In addition to this obviousness, there is a great increase in emotional intelligence, the ego patterns are revealed in oneself and in others

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now