Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Husseinisdoingfine

Vaush gives a brilliant segment on guns ūüĒę

4 posts in this topic

He acknowledges the many problems of gun usage in the United States and at the same time recognizes the naivety of idealistic gun banishment solutions.

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Posted (edited)

While Vaush's explanation more or less matches my own thinking on the subject, in my mind my own inclination is to look at the problem from an Effort In to Results Gained viewpoint.

In that Progressives/Lefties aren't going to win on everything, and it would make more sense for us to pick our battles, so to speak.

And tackling America's gun problem is going to be among the most uphill and device political issues around. As a matter of pragmatism, it makes more sense to use that time, energy, and political capital to address the economic issues that are at the heart of most forms of gun violence.

Providing more economic opportunity to poor neighborhoods, curbing corporate lobbying by gun manufacturers, creating a Universal Healthcare System (which includes Mental Health support structures), and ending the War on Drugs would do far more to reduce gun violence than feeble attempts to limit the manufacturer of certain types of weapons in a country where guns are more numerous than people.

**Disagree with him hard on the necessity of Revolutionary action, but that's a different discussion. And yes, I'm outing myself as one of the reformist socdem cucks that he bitches about from time to time :D. **

Edited by DocWatts

The problem is one of opposition between subjective and objective points of view. 

So either the objective conception of the world is incomplete, or the subjective involves illusions that should be rejected.  - Thomas Nagel

There are so many guns in circulation, it's impossible to remove all the semi automatic ones. Personally I actually do intend to buy myself an assault weapon, so I would be a hypocrite to condemn their usage.

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

Honestly, between knowing the history of guns in the US, what seems to be happening on a weekly bases now with mass shootings, the ever growing police/civilian schism, and the madness and hysteria surrounding any conversation about them - I'm extremely pessimistic that there will EVER be opportunities for solutions that are effective enough to improve the situation. I think the collective American psyche is simply too damaged and fragmented, and gun culture is too deeply and perversely ingrained for us to see a shift to health and sanity anytime soon.

I pray to God that I'm wrong, because it's so disheartening to see such widespread, needless, unconscious suffering. It just feels completely hopeless, and at this point on this particular issue the US just serves as a sad, pathetic example for other nations and societies to learn from.

"If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him."