Zion

What is The Ego?

8 posts in this topic

Can the ego be transcended? What is the value of the ego in the limited human form it comes in? Once adequate levels of enlightenment have occurred, does the ego still continue to coincide human existence? What value does the ego hold within existence? Does it hold any practicality aside from the survival needs it places onto human form? Is the concept of ego unfathomable to one who is not adequately enlightened or egocentric? I'm finding that I'm having a hard time grasping what the ego is exactly. What is the best possible explanation of the ego that can be explained through language?

@Zion the ego is nothing more than the notion that there is a 'you' separate from 'that which is not you'.  A 'thinker' in addition to 'the thoughts'.  An 'experiencer' in addition to 'experience'. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

It's God pretending not to be God :D

I don't know if it can be transcended, since I (an ego) have never done so.

What does "adequate" levels of enlightenment mean? Can you quantify it?

The ego's value is to help you survive in the world. But maybe you're asking what value does it hold in existence/god-consciousness itself. In that case - it holds all the value. Without it there cannot be any experience of "you" experiencing something interesting that is other than you.

It holds no other practicality other than its own survival (as far as I am aware). It does, however, hold a spiritual value of making you able to become enlightened. Without an ego you wouldn't be able to attain enlightenment - appreciate that.

The concept of ego an transcending the ego cannit be understood by somebody that is too deep into (or hypnotized by) their own ego.

The best possible explanation for ego? Look back at your own life! 

Edited by anxious_turtle

@Mason Riggle Very Helpful analogy, thank you. 

@joke Why do you see the ego as having no means other than survival needs?

It depends on what definition of ego you want to have. I prefer Ramana Maharshi's definition of the ego/I-thought because that part of our psychology can dissapear and without any negative side-effects. His definition allows us to see and understand that part of our psychology, with a different definition and teachings we may miss these important clues that would help us evolve.

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

kanitza.gif

Almost impossible not to see a triangle.

So convincing :3

God is love

Whoever lives in love lives in God

And God in them