ivankiss

Things I wish my father would've told me

13 posts in this topic

Feeling quite creative today. So I just thought of this fun way to share a few 'life advices' that I wish my dad (that I never really had) would've told me.

Maybe you have a few of your own advices/pointers that you'd like to add. I would appreciate that a lot.

So here's what's coming to my mind right now:

1. Son. You feeling good about yourself and being happy will most likely piss off a lot of people that do not feel good about themselves and are not happy.

2. Son. Do not seek love in another. Find love within your own heart and then share it and celebrate with someone who has found love within themselves.

3. Son. Sometimes you will have to do things that you do not like or enjoy. It's just how growth and transformation is. Sometimes you will have to push yourself a little bit. Sometimes you will have to endure tension in order to break through to that next level. And I trust you will. I know you can do, achieve and accomplish anything you put your mind and heart to. The power is within you.

4. Son. Remember these words: Finance before romance. Trust me on this one. Do not risk your financial security for a romantic relationship. It's just not going to work out fine. Do not prioritize a partner over the money that's supposed to put food on your table and keep a roof over your head. First take care of your own safety and then search for a partner.

5. Son. Not everyone has your best interest in their minds. Truth is; most people you will encounter will not give a damn about you and your well-being. They are too busy serving their own agendas. Their own needs. No need to feel sad about that. It's just how life is. Everyone has free will and some use it to run over others. Be careful not to be ran over. Careful who you trust.

⬆️⬆️⬆️ So that's what came through for now... Might add more later.

Peace.

Good stuff! I enjoyed all of them. I wish i heard this advice as a kid rather than learning through pain. 

1. Clean your room.

2. Do your homework.

3. Stop making noise.

@Meditationdude @BlackMaze

6 hours ago, wwhy said:

1. Clean your room.

2. Do your homework.

3. Stop making noise.

That's pretty much how my mom used to communicate with me ?

What a lovely thread?

Sailing on the ceiling 

Amazing thread! 

Son. Don’t be afraid to look a person in the eyes when you speak. What you have to say matters, what you have to share with another is valid, don’t let anyone convince you otherwise. Don’t ever be afraid to express what you authentically feel to another both through language, but also through presence. 

Son. Listen more than you speak. Observe more than you express. The world is full of mystery and wonder for those who have the awareness to watch. The world is full of lessons and opportunity for those humble enough to learn and consider. 

My son turned 21 last week. I am so proud of him.

Son, know that you are loved, which has always been my priority as a dad. I do lots of lecturing, but honestly, it's all about helping you realize that you are loved. I'm lucky that my son not only knows this, but is patient.

When I die, I will feel that I did well as a father, as long as my children know that I love them.

Sappy, I know, but true.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Well my dad use to beat the shit out of my mom and guess who was next in line after he was done with her.
Anyways, some decent wisdom I think most of us can relate, especially to Nr. 1.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate your inputs.

@meow_meow Sorry to hear that. I'm familiar with all kinds of abuse, too. It sucks. But it made me stronger and wiser - in a sense.

Still got some 'work' left to do - for sure. I'm focusing on basic self-parenting a lot these days. Hence this thread.

Hope you're doing good.

Peace.