Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SamC

Does logic and left brain thinking aid the self actualization journey?

10 posts in this topic

I am super right-brained and intuitive by nature and because of that my left-brained thinking is really poor ( Probably because I rarely use it). That said, I am currently in a face in my life where I am actively studying math and left-brained thinking almost every single day which of course got my systems thinking brain wondering." Huh; I wonder if this will aid my self-actualization work in any way?". Maybe I will gain something more from a larger perspective than just becoming not extremely terrible at math". 

There exists honestly a lot of doubts in my mind that developing my left-brained thinking more will be that useful, yet, it still feels reasonable that there could be some awesome benefits that I haven´t even considered that could emerge from becoming more logical and left brain oriented.

So what do you guys say? How does left-brain thinking aid on the self-actualization/self-transcendence journey? Are there even any benefits at all? If there are, what are the benefits of left-brained thinking?

@Leo Gura

Edited by SamC

"Sometimes when it's dark - we have to be the light in our own tunnel"

@SamC  reason without emotion is judgemental and emotion without reason is delusional. 

That's all I leave you with. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Doesn't matter if your brain is wired right or left, although perhaps more creative beings find it easier to channel their true nature as Consciousness, since all creativity arises from Consciousness.

Awakening is the realization that you are not your brain, regardless of its inclinations. It is the letting go of thinking, as a defining aspect of who you actually are. You are the spaciousness within which thoughts arise, but thoughts themselves are only products of the conditioned mind.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

33 minutes ago, Megan Alecia said:

You need logic to be able to get a job and a decently prized house, so :)

Do you though?  

@Moksha

What about being able to work hard and smart though? Will right-brain thinking training enhance my ability to do that you think?

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

@SamC  reason without emotion is judgemental and emotion without reason is delusional. 

That's all I leave you with. 

And reason without reason is called being crazzy:D

Yes.

A good place to start training it is the application Dual n back on Google Play, concentration practice every morning and reading intellectual books.

37 minutes ago, SamC said:

What about being able to work hard and smart though? Will right-brain thinking training enhance my ability to do that you think?

I was referring to spiritual growth. Survival in the relative world happens for right- or left-brained people, as long as they choose a profession that aligns with their abilities and passion.

Rather than pursuing "right-brain thinking", my advice is to increase the luminosity level of your Consciousness. The more present you are, the more clearly you can channel the infinite intelligence that is your ultimate nature. Artists seem to do this intuitively, but it is possible in any profession. Spiritual growth is universally empowering :)

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

@SamC Good questions. I'd say that for the purpose of self-transcendence, being dominantly left brained can add some difficulty to the proces. Mostly because this proces usually starts by thinking and using our mind. Our mind is our primary vehicle that we use to navigate reality, and thinking is a big part of that. Left-brain people are more likely to be identified to thought stories. Thinking reality can be explained using our mind. These prerational insights and understanding come more easily if you are intuive. But if you are naturally more right brained, developing your left brain capacities will not add extra difficulty. Developing your analytical capacities will not help with self-transcendence, but they can help conceptualising it.

For self-actualization, in my own experience, left-brain thinking is essential, and if you identify a weakness in this area, I think it can bring some struggling because one way or the other, our society and relative world is structured in a way that in order to navigate it efficiently, analysis and logic become important values. For example, when doing research, people with less developed left brain can face more difficulty in understanding the information presented. Many books and information sources are written by people that have above average vocabulary knowledge, and this tends to be more a left brain thing. People that aren't struggle with this often. Also the way the information is being processed is different for more analytical people. They tend to understand a logical and conceptual explanation more easily. Also because they are more orientated towards stimulating their analytical mind, they tend to have a wider vocabulary, and so it builds on itself. 

Working on these things can be beneficial, definitely. But I feel like ideally, you progress towards activities that allign with your personality and strengths. I feel that there is more joy and passion that flows if you do the things where you primarly use your own natural abilities. You'll have to find ways to express them in ways that fulfill you. 

But yet, other times, sometimes you find yourself in a position where you just gotta struggle and accept that there are some things that are harder to do and maybe not completely natural. But with effort, you can achieve a lot. Maybe you won't become a mathematical genius, but you are able to develop these abilities to the extend that are neccessary to achieve a realistic goal. And if someone who's primarly intuitive wants to become a math genius, they should ask themselves if there are no other persuits that are maybe more authentic and fulfilling. 

Lastly, developing your analytical mind is also incredibly useful when you are working towards a goal that involves understanding complex topics that are very detailed, broad and conceptually in nature. When you are trying to figure something out, sometimes seeing the big picture in a very complex system is important. Grasping concepts more easily is something that will help you understand and figure out a system more easily and make conclusions that are valued highly by that person for some personal purpose. Going out of your way to specifically train analytical skills could be inefficient as every concept is different. I don't know to what extend conceptual thinking can be trained to the degree that it will be useful and cross-transferable to other areas/concepts. I just know that if your analytical skills are more weak, you gotta really put more effort into detail and focus on linear understanding. Also, then if you understand some complex system conceptually, your intuition becomes a beautiful gift to complement this understanding and sometimes get personal gain out of it.

Edited by JonasVE12

7 hours ago, JonasVE12 said:

@SamC Good questions. I'd say that for the purpose of self-transcendence, being dominantly left brained can add some difficulty to the proces. Mostly because this proces usually starts by thinking and using our mind. Our mind is our primary vehicle that we use to navigate reality, and thinking is a big part of that. Left-brain people are more likely to be identified to thought stories. Thinking reality can be explained using our mind. These prerational insights and understanding come more easily if you are intuive. But if you are naturally more right brained, developing your left brain capacities will not add extra difficulty. Developing your analytical capacities will not help with self-transcendence, but they can help conceptualising it.

For self-actualization, in my own experience, left-brain thinking is essential, and if you identify a weakness in this area, I think it can bring some struggling because one way or the other, our society and relative world is structured in a way that in order to navigate it efficiently, analysis and logic become important values. For example, when doing research, people with less developed left brain can face more difficulty in understanding the information presented. Many books and information sources are written by people that have above average vocabulary knowledge, and this tends to be more a left brain thing. People that aren't struggle with this often. Also the way the information is being processed is different for more analytical people. They tend to understand a logical and conceptual explanation more easily. Also because they are more orientated towards stimulating their analytical mind, they tend to have a wider vocabulary, and so it builds on itself. 

Working on these things can be beneficial, definitely. But I feel like ideally, you progress towards activities that allign with your personality and strengths. I feel that there is more joy and passion that flows if you do the things where you primarly use your own natural abilities. You'll have to find ways to express them in ways that fulfill you. 

But yet, other times, sometimes you find yourself in a position where you just gotta struggle and accept that there are some things that are harder to do and maybe not completely natural. But with effort, you can achieve a lot. Maybe you won't become a mathematical genius, but you are able to develop these abilities to the extend that are neccessary to achieve a realistic goal. And if someone who's primarly intuitive wants to become a math genius, they should ask themselves if there are no other persuits that are maybe more authentic and fulfilling. 

Lastly, developing your analytical mind is also incredibly useful when you are working towards a goal that involves understanding complex topics that are very detailed, broad and conceptually in nature. When you are trying to figure something out, sometimes seeing the big picture in a very complex system is important. Grasping concepts more easily is something that will help you understand and figure out a system more easily and make conclusions that are valued highly by that person for some personal purpose. Going out of your way to specifically train analytical skills could be inefficient as every concept is different. I don't know to what extend conceptual thinking can be trained to the degree that it will be useful and cross-transferable to other areas/concepts. I just know that if your analytical skills are more weak, you gotta really put more effort into detail and focus on linear understanding. Also, then if you understand some complex system conceptually, your intuition becomes a beautiful gift to complement this understanding and sometimes get personal gain out of it.

Amazing reply. Thanks