Mosess

Mental Ilnesses.

13 posts in this topic

Hello!

I wanted to ask your opinion on our current understanding of "mental illnesses" and how science think they work.

Lets take schizophrenia as an example.

People with schizophrenia claim that they hear "voices" and sometimes visual hallucinations of some sort.

I don't understand from my point of view how that is considered as a mental illness since for me hearing different "voices" is a pretty normal thing. If schizophrenics awoke, would they know that these "voices" are just their own thoughts that they are projecting onto themselves?  To be honest with you guys, i think we currently have an extremely limited understanding of how the psyche works when it comes to "science", And our current treatment methods are way fucking stupid for actually providing a "treatment" for people who are labeled as "mentally ill". 

What do you think?

I think that treatments in form of pills are not doing anything other than numb people and maybe offer some relief. Maybe better treatments will exist in the future. Usually as i understand it, people with mental illnesses suffered traumas that they are unable to recover from. Maybe their environment sucks. I don't really believe that people are born this way but of course i could be wrong. I also don't think that it is something easy to escape from. I know that it's possible though because i experienced it. Once i completely changed my environment everything started to heal. 

My opinion from what i learned so far  is that something in the life of the mentally ill person must change for healing to occur. Living healthier could also help. I don't believe that a seriously mental ill person can 'wake up' before his illness is somehow in check. Even if a schizophrenic understands what you are saying he'll still have strong emotional or even physical reactions to the voices or visions making it almost impossible to detach from them. 

Here's some education on 2 major mental health disorders from the National Institute of Mental Health. 

Bipolar-https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/bipolar-disorder/index.shtml

Schizophrenia-https://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/topics/schizophrenia/index.shtml

Edited by Ananta

“You don’t have problems; you are the problem.”

– Swami Chinmayananda

Namaste ? ?

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

@Zigzag Idiot Awesome short video :x

@Mosess

I got spend 20 years as an patient in various periods and degree in the mental health field(not called an client, which probably would be a little nicer to self-esteem). 

Everybody that not shut up about their various mental experience and struggles they have, are called to have an mental illness?

What is mental illness?

If first change the belief into have an mental issue instead of call it mental illness?

Then work on the belief of have an issue that are not the end of life, would it be easier?

Edited by DIDego

@DIDego I dont think changing the word will remove the stigma and understanding around "mental illnesses" scientifically or rationally. The problem stems from not only a lack of understanding of how the mind/body works, but a complete misunderstanding of how they both work together or separate from each other. Its really a meta problem of human psychology i think.

@BlackMaze What if that something that needs to be changed is a complete Recontextualization  of how the mind of a mentally ill body understood reality, rather than how it currently thinks it does. 

Do you think that could be possible for a "mentally ill" person? I mean, the word mentally ill is fucked up. The definition in google is "A condition which causes a serious disorder in behavior or thinking". So anyone who has a "different" thinking pattern than what is considered "normal" would be "mentally ill" and labeled eventually as insane by society or the "order".

@Mosess i don't say that it's impossible just very hard. Yes for someone to be labeled insane for sure doesn’t help or is even true in many cases. How i understand it the point that mental illness starts is where someone stops being functional in some way or lives everyday with constant fear. 

I've seen many people taking pills for depression or whatever else when in reality just working out or making other positive changes would help a lot more. However people can experience traumas so strong that to completely recover from seems impossible. Taking pills doesn’t cure the root issue. 

As i understand it mental issues are closely dependent on survival. Unless you go beyond your own survival, or something changes for the better or you find the root cause of the problem it is unlikely that you will heal. Maybe chemistry has something to do with it but i have no idea about that and i am no expert in any way. I felt mentally ill in my life, didn't take any medicine and by changing country it healed that's all i know. Another example is when i had extreme anxiety because a family member had cancer and had to do 2 risky operations. Meditation just helped me to get by and when this person healed i was well again. If this didn't happen i would lose my shit for life (i know this much) and i would be mentally ill and damaged for life unless i had a crazy awakening. 

It's really a tricky topic to talk about. Mental illness does exist and cripples people. Having 500 egos is considered insane. Having mild depression is easier to cure than that. People that are not really insane and can also be or become functional with proper treatment or lifestyle/environment changes shouldn't be stigmatized as insane i agree on that. 

2 hours ago, Mosess said:

@DIDego I dont think changing the word will remove the stigma and understanding around "mental illnesses" scientifically or rationally. The problem stems from not only a lack of understanding of how the mind/body works, but a complete misunderstanding of how they both work together or separate from each other. Its really a meta problem of human psychology i think.

Wrote some kind of questions.

Agree.

Change word can help who struggles, to get a little more positive view on the situation than the word labels.

This seem like synchronicity as I just studied this.

Let us go beyond the label Schizophrenia and see the person as he/she is without personal bias.

When I think of the human mind is that it has different abilities yet unknown to science.

Called the four claires: clauraudiance, clairvoyance, clairsentience and claircognizants. 

When we are in tune with spirit then these four claires work like described below.

It only becomes dysfunctional when the fearful and pain filled ego mind takes the drivers seat.

Paranoia is usually translated as "out of your mind". Note that hearing, seeing, feeling things that are not there is not considered as illness per se. You can be blissed out when you communicate with angels. Only when it makes your life fearful and dysfunctional is it considered an mental illness. The nature of psychosis is the presucotory and fearful delusions and hallucinations. Basically the ego has taken over the psychic abilities of its host and projects itself outward as presucotory hallucinations.  Usually the four claires experienced through spirit are empowering, white light filled and makes you stable. Like a enlightenment experience. Personally I had experience from both sides, negative and positive.

I did read an article of a shamans view of mental health facilities. He said that these people needed to be trained with medium ship skills in order to be stable and not suppress their abilities with drugs. Maybe one day when we get to a stage turquoise society things will be different on how we treat the "mentally ill". In fact the mentally ill are those who are spiritually dead or ignorant of anything that could exist beyond matter or a objective world.

"Hearing the voice of God and the angels is called clairaudience, which means “clear hearing.” … At first, you may believe that the voice is your imagination or wishful thinking…. We heal this kind of thinking through faith, trust, and practice. …

Your angels may speak to you in pictures and visual mental images. We call this clairvoyance, or “clear seeing.”…If you have trouble understanding your angelic visual guidance, be sure to ask [the angels] for assistance….

The third way we receive angelic guidance is through our emotions and physical sensations. We call this clairsentience, or “clear feeling.”…Clairsentients receive a lot of guidance through their intuition, gut feelings, and hunches….If a thought of doing something swells your chest with warm feelings of joy, this is a directive from God and the angels….

We call the fourth means of angelic communication claircognizance, or “clear knowing.” … Claircognizants know, without knowing how they know. Consequently, they may doubt the validity of their knowingness. This is a mistake, because when divine wisdom enters our mind, it is a gift we can use to improve our life and to serve the world."

Bipolar Disorder & Spiritual Enlightenment - The Accidental Buddha

Mental illness is just different modes of perception judged harshly due to their ineffectiveness at furthering the current culture’s collective survival agenda as well as the individual’s survival agenda. 

Homosexuality was seen as a mental illness. All of this is relative. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY