kray

Daunte Wright

29 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Hardkill said:

Do you think that our government and legal system will find ways to reduce the occurrence of these kinds of mistakes over time?

Naturally. Everything is always improving in the long-term.

2 hours ago, kray said:

I understand that, and I personally think that he should not have resisted. But what you need to understand that him resisting was a result of a natural reaction people have to situations like this, fight or flight. Its been proven. In this situation, he knew he was going to die either way....which he did.

Sorry, I don't buy this logic.

Running from/fighting with cops is a very bad idea no matter what color you are, but especially if you black. It's dangerous all around. And even if you are black the statistical chances of you being killed by a cop while arrested is like 1 per million if you don't try to flee. So fleeing is just the dumbest possible idea. It shouldn't get you killed, but that is legit a risk.

That's the problem. And also her using a gun instead of a taser is not her simply being "sloppy", its her not doing her job correctly. The whole point of police training is to be able to handle situations like this, and if you can't be work under situational pressure, then you should not even be a cop. If a firetruck driver accidentally ran over a civilian, him being "sloppy" isn't an excuse.  

Being sloppy is not an excuse, it is what happened. People make mistakes. I'm sure she feels like shit about it. And she will still be tried for manslaughter. It is manslaughter but I would not hold her morally guilty for murder because she obviously made a simple mistake, which all of us are capable of on the job.

She worked under pressure for years. And today she made 1 simple mistake, which will be the worst mistake of her life. I'm sure she will regret it for the rest of her life. It's tragic on both sides. But that's life. If she gets a sentence I prose it should be very light.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, kray said:

he knew he was going to die either way

What do you mean with that?

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

She worked under pressure for years. And today she made 1 simple mistake, which will be the worst mistake of her life. I'm sure she will regret it for the rest of her life. It's tragic on both sides. But that's life. If she gets a sentence I prose it should be very light.

It was not a ''simple mistake'', it was a fatal mistake. 

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Running from/fighting with cops is a very bad idea no matter what color you are, but especially if you black. It's dangerous all around. And even if you are black the statistical chances of you being killed by a cop while arrested is like 1 per million if you don't try to flee. So fleeing is just the dumbest possible idea. It shouldn't get you killed, but that is legit a risk.

In theory, yes. Yet not always easy to do.

I've been in parts of Central and South American in which a white tourist could not fully trust corrupted police. A police encounter had a significant chance of me getting abused. Intellectually, I knew I had better odds complying, yet there were a couple situations in which fleeing was on the table. It was extremely difficult to keep my composure and interact with the officer. 

Also, it's not just abuse at the point of arrest. It is the whole legal process of the justice and prison system. There were places in which complying with an arrest had a risk of being screwed over at the police station, courts and jail. My desire to flee was most strongly fueled by what could happen after complying with the arrest. 

Being black in some areas means that there is a risk of getting screwed over after the arrest. If the justice system was fair to black people, there would be far less people resisting arrest. As a middle-income, educated white person, I have very low risk complying with police since I know I will be treated fairly through the process. 

I think it's very hard for people that lack the experience to imagine what it's like. 

2 hours ago, Harlen Kelly said:

It was not a ''simple mistake'', it was a fatal mistake. 

Simple and fatal are not mutually exclusive.

1 hour ago, Forestluv said:

In theory, yes. Yet not always easy to do.

I've been in parts of Central and South American in which a white tourist could not fully trust corrupted police. A police encounter had a significant chance of me getting abused. Intellectually, I knew I had better odds complying, yet there were a couple situations in which fleeing was on the table. It was extremely difficult to keep my composure and interact with the officer. 

Also, it's not just abuse at the point of arrest. It is the whole legal process of the justice and prison system. There were places in which complying with an arrest had a risk of being screwed over at the police station, courts and jail. My desire to flee was most strongly fueled by what could happen after complying with the arrest. 

Being black in some areas means that there is a risk of getting screwed over after the arrest. If the justice system was fair to black people, there would be far less people resisting arrest. As a middle-income, educated white person, I have very low risk complying with police since I know I will be treated fairly through the process. 

I think it's very hard for people that lack the experience to imagine what it's like. 

You make some valid points.

But still, resisting arrest is dangerous and will always be.

If I resist arrest in a rich white neighborhood in the manner this guy did, I still expect to get tasered and roughed up at the least.

Yes, there is systemic racism and police abuse. But there is also stupid action by lawbreakers. Again, these are not mutually exclusive. Criminals tend to behave in irrational and stupid ways which makes them difficult to handle.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

24 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

@Leo Gura I lack sympathy for people who resist arrest, but I can also understand the difference between a White man resisting arrest & a Black man.

Edited by Yali

29 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

You make some valid points.

If I resist arrest in a rich white neighborhood in the manner this guy did, I still expect to get tasered and roughed up at the least.

Yes, there is systemic racism and police abuse. But there is also stupid action by lawbreakers. Again, these are not mutually exclusive. Criminals tend to behave in irrational and stupid ways which makes them difficult to handle.

I agree they are not mutually exclusive. This confounds the problem because the majority of Americans want to see the issue as binary. One side posting videos of police abuse and the other side posting videos of irrational criminals acting stupid. And there in mixtures. Sometimes there is irrational stupidity that justifies use of force, yet too much force is used ala George Floyd. 

It's got to be difficult for a police officer to judge threat and risk. Yet I think appearance can factor into their judgement. I've had police encounters in which I have no doubt my appearance factored into my benefit. I've always gotten benefit of the doubt. Perhaps sometimes it's fair to factor in  appearance, other times it's unfair. 

Screenshot_20210415_113254.jpg

Fuck me now I feel bad because of this. 

On 13/04/2021 at 8:51 AM, Opo said:

The real question here is did that happen because the cop was a woman? ??‍♀️?

Stupid conservatives running comedy. Can't even make a sexist joke now without being associated with them. 

3 minutes ago, Opo said:

Screenshot_20210415_113254.jpg

Fuck me now I feel bad because of this. 

Stupid conservatives running comedy. Can't even make a sexist joke now without being associated with them. 

Great minds speak alike :D