Carl-Richard

MBTI Examples Mega-Thread

30 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2021 at 2:08 PM, Preety_India said:

Haha this is how I'm all the time, described in this video. He described me 100%.

The most beautiful part was when he said INTPs find themselves walking in circles. 

And I often do that and catch myself doing it and asking myself - why am I walking in circles? 

xDxDxD

Currently spending a Sunny day in walking in circles around my apartment and thinking 

A Call to Live Differently: https://angeloderosa.com

17:56-19:12 Destiny accidentally explains the difference between the introverted judging functions (Fi/Ti) and the extroverted judging functions (Fe/Te).

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

On 19/04/2021 at 1:54 PM, Carl-Richard said:

Good example of why ENFP and INFJ are considered a best match; the dance of divergent and convergent intuition (Ne and Ni).

Ne takes one topic and connects it with other topics in a movement of expansion, and Ni takes those topics and strings them all together into a narrative. Then Ne uses that as a springboard to other subjects and the cycle continues. This is the essence of the dialectical movement (constructive and complementary discourse): divergence and convergence, elaboration and condensation, analysis and synthesis, fragmentation and integration.

JBP is an INTP from my observations :)

But I'm guessing the dynamic you describe that comes about when these two get together is due to the Te-Ti balance. 

Edited by Soulife96
Correction

The Robocop example where they talk about "Fuck you tribe, I don't care if you hate it, it's the truth" example remind you of anyone...?  ... :P Maybe someone with a bald head that talks at us...?    Jokes... I felt bad about that cheap shot kinda.  But it's also kinda accurate :P 

Edited by Matt23

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

1 hour ago, Soulife96 said:

JBP is an INTP from my observations :)

Votes on the Personality Database website:

INFJ   (596)

ENTP   (356)

INTP   (166)

https://www.personality-database.com/profile/11071/jordan-peterson-psychology-neuroscience-mbti-personality-type

1 hour ago, Soulife96 said:

But I'm guessing the dynamic you describe that comes about when these two get together is due to the Te-Ti balance. 

It's about Ni and Ne like I was talking about :). JBP's whole archetype shtick is typical Ni.

He ranks every MBTI type on each Big 5 trait.

On 7/25/2021 at 11:34 AM, Carl-Richard said:

JBP's whole archetype shtick is typical Ni.

I disagree.  I'd say he's way more Ne than Ni.  When you listen to him speak, he uses so many concepts, theories, and examples.  He's "channel-changing" so much. All over the place and connecting dots like a web (which is more Ne to me from my understanding).  He even described his thougbt process as that: he said something like "I think like there's these separate concepts that fill part of the picture.  Then the more i learn and think the more the picture gets filled in."   

Rather than sticking to the same concepts and lines of thinking and delivery, he seems like he's looking at a tremendous amount of new ideas and is making connections (Ne) rather than refining a singular, more consistent idea or concept and telling that over and over again (Ni). 

Like compare him to how Leo talks about awakening.  Leo tends to generally sticks to the same ideas about awakening.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's just kind of more of the same.  You know pretyy well what you're gunna get: "you are god, everything is your imagination, brains are imaginary, etc..".  Ya, slight differences and angles, but pretty well the same stuff.  But take someone like JP, you don't know what the fuck he's gunna say.  He references so many ideas and makes so many connections to different things.  It's like a shotgun (Ne) vs. a sniper (Ni).   

31 minutes ago, Matt23 said:

All over the place and connecting dots like a web (which is more Ne to me from my understanding).

Ni also connects dots, but it does so while narrowing in on a single conclusion or narrative. Archetypes are abstract meta-narratives, and your job as a Ni user (a bit tongue in cheek) is to find these narratives and demonstrate them in concrete examples. The concrete examples are the dots that are being connected, but they're being united under a single narrative (or more).

This doesn't mean that Ne cannot spin narratives, but it simply means that it's more resonant with the functional nature of Ni, so naturally, they will be more inclined towards that activity or mental pattern. Keep in mind content vs. structure: cognitive functions dictate how information is structured in the mind. It doesn't necessarily predict the content that is being structured.

It's true that Ne seems more exploratory, because it visits tangentially related narratives at a rapid rate. This is why Ne users get easily stuck in mental masturbation about whatever-the-fuck (very apparent in the example I gave on a typical ENTP conversation) and why Ni can become overly invested in an ambitious or unrealistic idea (which sometimes works out, like when INTJ Elon Musk sends cars into space). My sense is that JBP's "overly ambitious/unrealistic idea" is his religious narratives.

So to reiterate, both Ne and Ni like to entertain a wide range of abstract topics, but Ne likes to expand endlessly (divergence) while Ni likes to keep it focused and dialed in (convergence). Now, just because this is what these functions usually engage in doesn't mean that for exampe a Ne user cannot engage in, understand or appreciate what a Ni user usually engages in and vice versa.

Like I pointed out in earlier posts, Ne and Ni can work together synergistically, because they're essentially the same thing, only that they're in a sense inverted, mirror-images of eachother: the hyper-exploratory structure of Ne can feed the narrative-spinning structure of Ni and vice versa. Ni has to explore ideas just as much as Ne has to explore narratives.

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

Like compare him to how Leo talks about awakening.  Leo tends to generally sticks to the same ideas about awakening.  Nothing wrong with that.  It's just kind of more of the same.  You know pretyy well what you're gunna get: "you are god, everything is your imagination, brains are imaginary, etc..".  Ya, slight differences and angles, but pretty well the same stuff.

...and 1000 more topics on self-help. including classics such as "how to make a girl squirt" ;) 

1 hour ago, Matt23 said:

But take someone like JP, you don't know what the fuck he's gunna say.  He references so many ideas and makes so many connections to different things.

Nothing about Ni is predictable. Intuition is magic.

Rock musicians/bands/styles that reflect MBTI types (at least aesthetically). I picked the examples based on how I experience the music, but it might be slightly biased as I'm also familiar with the musicians in question and their "official" MBTI type (taken from personality database).

ENTP ("too many intellectual ideas"):

Jethro Tull

Gentle Giant

Frank Zappa

What is so great about this style of music is that it's unpredictable and at times unconventional. This combination means that the unconventional parts tend to get quickly saved by some contrasting section before it gets too weird, which is a testament to the fast-paced and apologetic nature of the ENTP cognitive style.

ISFP ("feels"): 

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd solo guitarist, songwriter)

Known for his beautiful bends and silky smooth voice. Very embodied guitar player and singer. The perfect encapsulation of classic, soulful playing.

INTJ ("deliberate and elaborate design"): 

Roger Waters (Pink Floyd bassist and songwriter mastermind).

Arguably the most ambitious concept album in history.

Steven Wilson (solo artist and Porcupine Tree frontman).

SW just has a god-given ability to create immersive soundscapes and intricate, deliberate compositions with an eye for the tiniest of details. Great songwriter and audio engineer. Fun fact: David Gilmour is a huge SW fan.

Tool

A song constructed around the Fibonacci sequence (compositionally and lyrically). Do I need to say more?

INTP ("abstract, well-polished, and quirky ideas"):

King Crimson

This song is built around the clever use of dual guitars and odd meters. You'll know exactly what I mean when you hear it. An absolutely groundbreaking technical innovation for the prog scene. For instance, Tool is heavily inspired by this aspect of KC.

INFJ ("soul-touching"):

Opeth 

This song in particular is the perfect representation of melancholy. It seemlessly paints the picture of a lonely, rainy day. The INFJ telling you exactly what you need to hear.

Fun fact: SW is best buddies with frontman Mikael Akerfeldt. They've released one collaboration album, and SW has worked as producer/mixer for Opeth. Akerfeldt has contributed with guitar riffs to some Porcupine Tree songs and has also been featured as a solo player on a song.

Cynic

Fun fact: this song features a soundbite of Alan Watts.

ENFP ("too many interesting ideas"):

Yes

Yes has a similar vibe to the ENTP songs, but it's less "computationally dense" (as Frank Zappa would've put it) and a bit more emotionally well-rounded.

INFP ("authenticity"):

Camel

An emotional exploration of creativity and self-expression. The solo guitar is similar to the ISFP embodied soulfulness, but here it's less jammy and more integrated into the larger composition.

Edited by Carl-Richard