Husseinisdoingfine

What is exactly wrong with soy?

32 posts in this topic

On Leo's video, How to Shop for Healthy Food, one of the main categories he puts to avoid is soy, why? Why is soy harmful? Don't tell me to research it because I did and all I got was right wing conspiracy theories about how soy will turn me in a feminine ''SoyBoy'' who is fat and watches Rick and Morty.

I want to get into vegan body building, and use soy protein products, such as extra protein infused soy milk in order to build muscle.

What is exactly wrong with soy? No conspiracy theories please.

original-plant-based-protein-drink.png

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

@Michael569 Can clear this up :)

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

3 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Can clear this up :)

lemme try :D 

In USA, traditional soy is heavily sprayed with Glyphosate (no. 1 brand is Roundup) to protect from insects, disease and weed that compete for nutrition. While for agricultural prosperity glyphosate are great, for the human body they are highly toxic. 

The good thing is that traces of glyphosate were only found in nonorganic soy protein. You should never ever touch soy protein or soy concentrated powders or baby soy formulas. That stuff is toxic. In concentrated amounts, soy can be IGF-1 agonist so this is another reason why to stay away from that stuff. 

Now in terms of fermented soy products like tofu, tempeh, miso, natto or soy milk these are completely safe to consume. I would always go for organic sources though simply to remove other common herbicides and insecticides (that are btw used for everything even cattle & poultry feed, so this is not just related to soy). 

Generally, as long as you avoid soy concentrates and soy protein powders and shit like that, soy is beneficial for the body. Not only is it an excellent source of protein and calcium for the body, for females it is protective from breast cancer and in men protective from prostate cancer. There is conflicting evidence whether it is beneficial for postmenopausal women but it seems like it can be even after the ovarian reserves of oestrogens have been lost. It is helpful for vegans who struggle with a lack of calcium or protein and the soy phytoestrogens also have some beneficial effects for liver detoxification.  

Overall you should consume soy products organic and fermented for maximum benefit but as long as you avoid concentrates like soy proteins and soy formulas, there is no harm. 

The picture you posted looks like something enriched with soy protein, no natural soy milk has 20g of protein. This would be a big NO. 

btw if you think soy is harmful and dangerous, I encourage you to really look into what goes in dairy and factory-farmed chickens...

MY WEBSITE  I'm a certified nutritionist & health coach. I help men & women who struggle with chronic health problems, to remember what happy & healthy feels like. 

HEALTH E-BOOKS - learn how to boost your mental performance, energy and health (free download) 

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Ok, but will I turn into a fat soyboy?

soyboy for life homie :D I've been soyboy for at least 5 years but haven't grown manboobs yet haha 

MY WEBSITE  I'm a certified nutritionist & health coach. I help men & women who struggle with chronic health problems, to remember what happy & healthy feels like. 

HEALTH E-BOOKS - learn how to boost your mental performance, energy and health (free download) 

Soy has a negative effect on your thyroid gland and that's a major problem with it.  It supresses thyroid hormones.

23 hours ago, Eternity said:

Soy has a negative effect on your thyroid gland and that's a major problem with it.  It supresses thyroid hormones.

Not in normal amounts. The goitrogenic effects of soy have never really been proven on humans and you'd have to consume ungodly amounts of it. The same goes for cruciferous vegetables, millet & cassava alongside soy. Not to mention that once you cook or process the plan there is no goitrogenic effect anymore and most people do not consume a lot of raw soy or raw vegetables such as broccoli always :) Steaming it for 5 minutes makes it 100% safe. Nothing to worry about but as said before, don't consume soy concentrates or juiced cruciferous vegetables and you'll be fine. 

On 4/11/2021 at 3:24 PM, Michael569 said:

Not in normal amounts. The goitrogenic effects of soy have never really been proven on humans and you'd have to consume ungodly amounts of it. The same goes for cruciferous vegetables, millet & cassava alongside soy. Not to mention that once you cook or process the plan there is no goitrogenic effect anymore and most people do not consume a lot of raw soy or raw vegetables such as broccoli always :) Steaming it for 5 minutes makes it 100% safe. Nothing to worry about but as said before, don't consume soy concentrates or juiced cruciferous vegetables and you'll be fine. 

It's been a while since I read the article but someone tested the steaming/cooking method to reduce goitrogins and the % after 10-15 min only reduced it like 30-40%, but perhaps that's all that's necessary to be safe. I think more harmful is the unsaturated fats in soy which eventually causes low thyroid. 

I'd be careful with vegan though. The first few years is like a body detox and you feel invigorated and refreshed, but after 4-5 years you start getting weaker if you don't manage your protein correctly. Hair loss is an issue too. Vegan isn't something you just do, it's something you practice mindfully because it can go wrong.

11 hours ago, Ora said:

It's been a while since I read the article but someone tested the steaming/cooking method to reduce goitrogins and the % after 10-15 min only reduced it like 30-40%, but perhaps that's all that's necessary to be safe. I think more harmful is the unsaturated fats in soy which eventually causes low thyroid. 

if this was the case , most of Japanese would be walking around with goiters from all the soy they eat which clearly isn't the case. Goitrogens have never been proven to be an issue. This is just another of those circulating myths stemming from some in-vitro research that has never been reproduced on a large population data. Same with phytates, lectins and antinutrients generally. This just isn't a real thing. It is a myth propagated by the paleo communities. There is no large population data that shows antinutrients are harmful for humans. If anything these things have a lot of benefits for humans by being anti-inflammatory and protecting from tumour formation in the large colon 

11 hours ago, Ora said:

I think more harmful is the unsaturated fats in soy which eventually causes low thyroid. 

there is no such thing as "low thyroid", you can have low thyroid-stimulating hormone or low thyroid releasing hormone and soy has nothing to do with either. Hypothyroidism is a complex multifactorial condition that is in majority of cases caused by iodine deficiency. Countries who consume more soy (e.g. Japanese) tend to have better iodine intake as well which further negates this point. Also, there is very little fats in soy, the edamame bean is mainly made of amino acids profile and complex oligosaccharides. If fats in soy were a problem and causing hypothyroidism then the amount of fats found in any sort of animal product would kill you on spot. 

11 hours ago, Ora said:

I'd be careful with vegan though. The first few years is like a body detox and you feel invigorated and refreshed, but after 4-5 years you start getting weaker if you don't manage your protein correctly. Hair loss is an issue too. Vegan isn't something you just do, it's something you practice mindfully because it can go wrong.

people who identify themselves as vegans usually do this from an ethical viewpoint of not wanting to consume or wear products that come from animals. A carefully planned vegan diet is completely sustainable over a long term period but I agree with you that if planned poorly, fatigue, hair loss and anaemia can follow within 2-3 years. 

Replace with almond and coconut milk blend.

There's really no good reason to be drinking soy milk because the above combo tastes better.

Soy sensitivities are also common. It might trip up your immune system if you have autoimmunity conditions.

You are God. You are Love. You are Infinity. You are Leo.

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

Replace with almond and coconut milk blend.

There's really no good reason to be drinking soy milk because the above combo tastes better.

These milks do taste better but they heavily lack in protein, compared to soy milk. 

I also love oat milk, hazelnut milk, rice milk, macadamia milk, but the protein amount is inconsolably low there too. So these drinks are not as useful for bodybuilders, athletes or very active people seeking to increase their protein intake.

The lack of protein is a major drawback in most plant-based milks (cow milk especially ultrafiltered has a lot). The only other plant-based milk I've seen that tastes decent and matches the soy milk protein is this "Unsweeted Silk Almond & Cashew" blend that has basically added-up pea protein in it.

@Leo Gura  Recently I discovered Coconut Aminos. It's basically a soy suace replacement made out of fermented coconut nectar and sea salt. Nothing else.

It's kinda pricey but the taste is top notch. If anyone here hasn't spent 10 bucks on a bottle of this you are missing out on some divine healthy mouthwatering stuff.

https://www.amazon.es/Planet-Plant-Based-Aminos-Orgánico-250ml/dp/B084GPBCK4/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_es_ES=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&dchild=1&keywords=coconut+amino&qid=1623192824&sr=8-3

Certified lazy skeptic and armchair philosopher

All protein powders are gonna be problematic, whether plant or animal or milk based. Because they concentrate toxins so much.

I would avoid protein powders as much as possible, even organic ones. Organic plant based powders have actually been found to contain MORE heavy metals than non-organic!

The thing is, bodybuilding isn't healthy. One day it will dawn on you.

Keep in mind, your caloric intake is directly proportional to your lifespan. The more calories you burn through in a day, the shorter you will live. Also, the more heartbeats you have in a day, the shorter you will live. There is a deep biological connection between heartbeats per minute and lifespan.

The lifespan of a humming bird is 3-5 years.

Heart rate: 1,260 BPM!

Just think about that number. 21 beats per second! Talk about living life at light speed. Beep beep :D

49 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

All protein powders are gonna be problematic, whether plant or animal or milk based. Because they concentrate toxins so much.

I would avoid protein powders as much as possible, even organic ones. Organic plant based powders have actually been found to contain MORE heavy metals than non-organic!

Where did you get this information from?

52 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Keep in mind, your caloric intake is directly proportional to your lifespan. The more calories you burn through in a day, the shorter you will live. Also, the more heartbeats you have in a day, the shorter you will live. There is a deep biological connection between heartbeats per minute and lifespan.

The research on calories consumed being proportional to life span is a little bit fuzzy and not certain.

53 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Just think about that number. 21 beats per second!

That is pretty crazy lol

58 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

Just think about that number. 21 beats per second! Talk about living life at light speed. Beep beep :D

Wow, in a circular roundabout way, this makes Trump's view of exercise right. xD

2 hours ago, caelanb said:

Where did you get this information from?

I linked sources in the past. Don't have them available off hand now.

This is not the first time this question arose.

1 hour ago, Danioover9000 said:

Wow, in a circular roundabout way, this makes Trump's view of exercise right. xD

Except that there are complicating factors. People who don't exercise at all will also have low lifespan. Usually much lower. Because lifespan has dozens of other factors.

I bet Trump would live longer if he exercised a bit. Just not overly much.

And he would certainly live longer if he ate less calories.

3 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Body builders seldom consume fresh fruits and vegetables, they consume copious amounts of protein instead.

لا إله إلا الله، وليو رسول الله

@Leo Gura

20 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

I linked sources in the past. Don't have them available off hand now.

This is not the first time this question arose.

Except that there are complicating factors. People who don't exercise at all will also have low lifespan. Usually much lower. Because lifespan has dozens of other factors.

I bet Trump would live longer if he exercised a bit. Just not overly much.

And he would certainly live longer if he ate less calories.

It was in reference to Trump saying how too much exercise could explode his heart and your hover bird example, that I made an implicit joke from that.

Of course, taken seriously, there's more wrong in his views as hearts literally don't explode from simple exercises. He could only be right if some people have underlying health problems with the heart during certain exercises that puts them at risk, or those that are over worked with stress. And yes, too much or too little to no exercise does have drawbacks that are not limited to health, so a middle way here is needed.