Husseinisdoingfine

What is exactly wrong with soy?

8 posts in this topic

On Leo's video, How to Shop for Healthy Food, one of the main categories he puts to avoid is soy, why? Why is soy harmful? Don't tell me to research it because I did and all I got was right wing conspiracy theories about how soy will turn me in a feminine ''SoyBoy'' who is fat and watches Rick and Morty.

I want to get into vegan body building, and use soy protein products, such as extra protein infused soy milk in order to build muscle.

What is exactly wrong with soy? No conspiracy theories please.

original-plant-based-protein-drink.png

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

@Michael569 Can clear this up :)

'One is always in the absolute state, knowingly or unknowingly for that is all there is.' Francis Lucille. 

'Peace and Happiness are inherent in Consciousness.' Rupert Spira 

“Your own Self-Realization is the greatest service you can render the world.” Ramana Maharshi

3 hours ago, LfcCharlie4 said:

Can clear this up :)

lemme try :D 

In USA, traditional soy is heavily sprayed with Glyphosate (no. 1 brand is Roundup) to protect from insects, disease and weed that compete for nutrition. While for agricultural prosperity glyphosate are great, for the human body they are highly toxic. 

The good thing is that traces of glyphosate were only found in nonorganic soy protein. You should never ever touch soy protein or soy concentrated powders or baby soy formulas. That stuff is toxic. In concentrated amounts, soy can be IGF-1 agonist so this is another reason why to stay away from that stuff. 

Now in terms of fermented soy products like tofu, tempeh, miso, natto or soy milk these are completely safe to consume. I would always go for organic sources though simply to remove other common herbicides and insecticides (that are btw used for everything even cattle & poultry feed, so this is not just related to soy). 

Generally, as long as you avoid soy concentrates and soy protein powders and shit like that, soy is beneficial for the body. Not only is it an excellent source of protein and calcium for the body, for females it is protective from breast cancer and in men protective from prostate cancer. There is conflicting evidence whether it is beneficial for postmenopausal women but it seems like it can be even after the ovarian reserves of oestrogens have been lost. It is helpful for vegans who struggle with a lack of calcium or protein and the soy phytoestrogens also have some beneficial effects for liver detoxification.  

Overall you should consume soy products organic and fermented for maximum benefit but as long as you avoid concentrates like soy proteins and soy formulas, there is no harm. 

The picture you posted looks like something enriched with soy protein, no natural soy milk has 20g of protein. This would be a big NO. 

btw if you think soy is harmful and dangerous, I encourage you to really look into what goes in dairy and factory-farmed chickens...

MY WEBSITE  I help young ambitious men who struggle with chronic health problems to awaken their mind & body, to get well and to get aligned with their passion. DM me if you'd like to chat about how I can help you. 

MEN'S HEALTH GROUPCome join us to learn cool new things about health, nutrition and wellbeing.

@Michael569 Ok, but will I turn into a fat soyboy?

jk lol

''To be happy we must not be too concerned with others''.

Albert Camus

1 hour ago, Husseinisdoingfine said:

Ok, but will I turn into a fat soyboy?

soyboy for life homie :D I've been soyboy for at least 5 years but haven't grown manboobs yet haha 

MY WEBSITE  I help young ambitious men who struggle with chronic health problems to awaken their mind & body, to get well and to get aligned with their passion. DM me if you'd like to chat about how I can help you. 

MEN'S HEALTH GROUPCome join us to learn cool new things about health, nutrition and wellbeing.

Soy has a negative effect on your thyroid gland and that's a major problem with it.  It supresses thyroid hormones.

23 hours ago, Eternity said:

Soy has a negative effect on your thyroid gland and that's a major problem with it.  It supresses thyroid hormones.

Not in normal amounts. The goitrogenic effects of soy have never really been proven on humans and you'd have to consume ungodly amounts of it. The same goes for cruciferous vegetables, millet & cassava alongside soy. Not to mention that once you cook or process the plan there is no goitrogenic effect anymore and most people do not consume a lot of raw soy or raw vegetables such as broccoli always :) Steaming it for 5 minutes makes it 100% safe. Nothing to worry about but as said before, don't consume soy concentrates or juiced cruciferous vegetables and you'll be fine.