Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Quicksilver

Sam Harris on Free Will

12 posts in this topic

Very good explanation on a topic - I like how Sam articulates things.

@Quicksilver On spiral dynamics Sam Harris is just stage dumb.

Free will is just correlated to awareness. I've written about it. We have it, it would be scaled in the same way as IQ with various things outside of intelligence influencing it from trauma to emotional intelligence to diet and exercise, to even height. Yes your height contributes, that's why chicks are biased towards them, they got those free will cookies.

This feels like a contemporary version of the millennia old question about whether or not God knows what we are going to do before we do it (I'm thinking here, in particular, of his reference to "some guy, some evil genius, in another room typing in my instructions to my completely determined and coerced brain").

4 hours ago, Origins said:

@Quicksilver On spiral dynamics Sam Harris is just stage dumb.

Free will is just correlated to awareness. I've written about it. We have it, it would be scaled in the same way as IQ with various things outside of intelligence influencing it from trauma to emotional intelligence to diet and exercise, to even height. Yes your height contributes, that's why chicks are biased towards them, they got those free will cookies.

Awareness is correlated to illusion like everything else. Whatever you are aware of is delusion. There is no 'you' in a philosophical sense.

@Epikur why would I listen to you? There’s no you to listen to anyway right. I mean, these are your words not mine not trying to be rude outside of shooting you in the head with your own factoid bullets. Obviously not enough awareness to be like, hey bro from another mother in hoodlum of crack and hoes selling to little kids with braces and Tourette’s, what’s that writing you did I’m open minded about that.

Agree with Sam Harris, but only within the limited context of relative reality. "You" as a human being, couldn't possibly be free. Every "choice" you make is determined by your genetics and your environment. Except for the essence of YOU that is Consciousness, and is actually calling the shots.

YOU, as Consciousness, are infinitely free. YOU are the puppeteer, pulling the strings.

This question comes up constantly. It was my first post, actually. Free will is the difference between "you" and YOU.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

16 hours ago, Moksha said:

YOU, as Consciousness, are infinitely free. YOU are the puppeteer, pulling the strings.

This question comes up constantly. It was my first post, actually. Free will is the difference between "you" and YOU.

Pulling what strings?  Doing what? 

What am 'i' doing that "I" am not doing? 

I don't see a difference. 

Isn't 'the puppeteer' pulling it's own strings?  Who else is? 

This notion of a 'doer' that 'does things' (a puppeteer pulling strings) doesn't seem accurate. 

When I pay attention to experience, I recognize that it's all 'happening' without anyone 'doing it'.. and even this 'paying attention' and 'recognizing' are just more 'what is happening'. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."

It's all just happening man, I didn't even choose write this sentence if I'm honest about my direct experience.

It just happened. That's all there seems to be, is happening.

hrhrhtewgfegege

@Roy yep.  No 'doer'.. no 'doing'.. just 'being'. 

It's so simple. 

"I could be the walrus. I'd still have to bum rides off people."