Someone here

What is insanity?

40 posts in this topic

@Someone here

Did you know that all "what is?" questions are simply a desire to hear a story?

So, you want to hear stories about insanity? Maybe try the psych ward, or political debates.

Or, you know, just normal conversations with normal people xD

Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

29 minutes ago, Tim R said:

@Someone here I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate you always asking all sorts of questions on the forumxD Really keeps things alive and thriving in here

Anytime bro xD

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

the distinction between sane and insane I would say is how functional and healthy your life is. you can be pretty eccentric and kooky but if your life is healthy and stable I would not call that insanity. insanity is the homeless person yelling at themselves walking down the street. 

1 hour ago, Nahm said:

@Tim R

There isn’t a my definition. 

@Someone here

There aren’t individuals. 

That's a very sane thing to say :D

-Osho

2 hours ago, Gesundheit said:

@Someone here

Did you know that all "what is?" questions are simply a desire to hear a story?

So, you want to hear stories about insanity? Maybe try the psych ward, or political debates.

Or, you know, just normal conversations with normal people xD

I think this forum is filled with insane people.. What do you think of that? 

Jk lol 

Edited by Someone here

-Osho

The inverse of sociocultural conformity (willingness), compatibility (natural inclination) and functionality (ability). In other words, are you unwilling, not inclined, or unable to conform? Then, from the perspective of the sociocultural environment, you are considered insane.

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

4 hours ago, Inliytened1 said:

This shatters and radically recontextualizes everything and can definitely make the ego feel like its going insane because its sense of identity is wrapped up in the sense of self vs others.

In the long-term, I'm sure that this realization will help you a great deal in the embodiment of being a super functional and loving human being.

My biggest fear is, that after such realizations, I will not be able to function as a human for some time, as I might completely forget what it even is to be a human being.

I'm fully aware that this is a fear, more precisely the fear of the unknown (+the fear of its consequences).

What has been your experience like? Does this fear hold any ground, at least in the sense of being cautious? Fear really loves to seek justification.

Insanity is more complexity and contrast typically. Sanity is less complexity and contrast. 

What serves society’s collective ego is deemed sane. What goes against society’s collective ego is deemed insane. Insanity vs. sanity changes throughout the ages as new beliefs are adopted by the masses. The marginalized builds are always closer to insane while the typical, cookie-cutter builds are sane. It’s always a process in which the conclusion is swayed pretty much entirely by the “popular vote.” Gays used to be insane in many people's considerations. Now hardly anyone holds that belief. Believing Jesus is God was absolute heresy and insanity when this first showed up. Now it seems to be the only sane conclusion 2000 years later by 2 billion people, and everything else is heresy to these people. 

Here is an example of me “insane”

4:34 For Frank Yang the Father of Enlightenment

Here is an example of me “sane”

Simple Method Builds Credit Quickly

Edited by BipolarGrowth

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

Insanity I think has a lot to do with a temporary abeyance of the critical faculties. You think of something, like going for a walk in the park naked, and don’t feel any caution or ideas that this might be a bad idea, and just go and do it. 

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

1 hour ago, Bodhitree said:

You think of something, like going for a walk in the park naked, and don’t feel any caution or ideas that this might be a bad idea, and just go and do it. 

What's wrong about it?

42 minutes ago, Breakingthewall said:

insanity is mostly schizophrenia and it is something quite mysterious.

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

57 minutes ago, wesyasz said:

What's wrong about it?

It’s against the desires and values of our current society. There’s absolutely nothing absolute to this being a problem. 

Everybody wanna be a mystic, but nobody wanna dissolve themselves to the point of a psych ward visit. 
https://youtu.be/5i5jGU9wn2M?si=-rXSAiT1MMZrdBtY

On 4/7/2021 at 7:09 PM, Carl-Richard said:

The inverse of sociocultural conformity (willingness), compatibility (natural inclination) and functionality (ability).

And that's according to whom? 

-Osho

On 4/7/2021 at 8:33 PM, BipolarGrowth said:

Insanity is more complexity and contrast typically. Sanity is less complexity and contrast. 

What serves society’s collective ego is deemed sane. What goes against society’s collective ego is deemed insane. Insanity vs. sanity changes throughout the ages as new beliefs are adopted by the masses. The marginalized builds are always closer to insane while the typical, cookie-cutter builds are sane. It’s always a process in which the conclusion is swayed pretty much entirely by the “popular vote.” Gays used to be insane in many people's considerations. Now hardly anyone holds that belief. Believing Jesus is God was absolute heresy and insanity when this first showed up. Now it seems to be the only sane conclusion 2000 years later by 2 billion people, and everything else is heresy to these people. 

Here is an example of me “insane”

4:34 For Frank Yang the Father of Enlightenment

Here is an example of me “sane”

Simple Method Builds Credit Quickly

A person in a coma is not conscious (per se) and a being that is psychotic is not fully psychotic as they are making sense within their reality that is partially influenced by a truer reality. So.. to be completely insane seems impossible while complete sanity seems impossible as well.

A completely sane person would have to be completely objective about reality.. know its complete and true nature.. and yet remain conscious and such. Maybe only a supreme being or entity or the universe itself can actually be considered "sane" in and of itself.

So.. sanity is a spectrum whereby you are willingly or unwillingly ascribed to varying degrees of it through the careful calculations of your interactions with the world through both nurture and nature and the reliance upon whether any or some or most or all of your actions of will are truly free or determinate to one degree or another.

-Osho

On 4/7/2021 at 11:28 PM, Breakingthewall said:

How do you know? 

-Osho

On 2021-04-07 at 11:28 PM, Breakingthewall said:

I honestly think that the polar opposite that is called psychopathy is more insane

19 hours ago, Someone here said:

And that's according to whom? 

Society. My definition explains for example why Leo gets lumped in with schizophrenics even though he is not that (willingness vs. ability).

Also, don't forget that I'm generalizing (it's a spectrum). Schizophrenia is a spectrum as well. I'm saying that the tendency is that it makes you less able (as well as inclined/willing) to conform.

Edited by Carl-Richard