Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wyatt

Understanding Calmness and Peace

2 posts in this topic

I'm in the midst of contemplating and observing emotions this month, especially anger, anxiety, and calmness.

I realize that emotions' purpose, often, is to protect one's attachment to one's expectations. While perceiving a threat that negatively impacts expectations to an attachment, anger can arise. When imagining the future, if the imagined scenario doesn't match or exceed one's expectations, anxiety can arise.

Can you help me understand: how do calmness and peace relate to attachment and expectations of life? Must we completely eradicate all expectations and our attachments to outcomes to truly be at peace? Or does lowering expectations to be 'realistic' with less attachment seem more healthy?

I think calmness and peace is your natural state of mind. It is what you are fundamentally underneath all attachments and emotions and thoughts etc. So it's not about eradicating anything, but just becoming more conscious of what's beneath, becoming more conscious of who you really are, and from there expectations and attachments will not matter anymore