Hansu

Productive activities while walking or driving

8 posts in this topic

So, being on a job search I have lots of free time. I have taken up walking couple hours a day as a hobby to get out of the house (There is no covid curfew where I live whatsoever) and I like to listen to audio books while taking a walk. It also helps me focus, because it can be difficult to sit down and read a book due to my ADHD.

Im reading information regarding entrepreneurship, career, and listening skills. My problem is that due to lack of social situations and unemployment, I am lacking opportunity to practice what I read. I am getting too much theory and not enough practice, and I have too much time to effectively use it all for obtaining theory. I fear that the things I am reading of are going to waste, even though some might retain subliminally.

But I cant be the only one with this problem, and surely there are other people who have had this problem and found solutions to it. I would love to hear your idea for increased productivity while walking. Could visualization while walking be practical, or does it require certain brain wave frequency to be effective? Maybe I could contemplate on something and write what I learned down after I get back home, or is there something even more effective ways to permanently learn what you read about?

Edited by Hansu

I used to be a walker and would walk many hours per day. Sometimes I listened to music or listened to audi books in Spanish to help me learn a new language. 

But, I really like walking in silence. Use the time to contemplate, like you mention. 

Also, use the time to walk mindfully. Breath while you walk, stop and smell the roses so to speak. Walking in New and different directions will keep things interesting and spark new ideas. 

"You Create Magic" 

Listening to the wisdom of others through podcasts and books doesn't directly impact your development. The way these people became 'experts' in their field, and why you're hearing them in the first place, is because they sacrificed so much of time, energy, and life to becoming experienced in that domain. It's great to expand your base of knowledge in multiple domains, but it's just a part of personal development that doesn't require hours daily.

If you have the feeling you're taking in too much theory and not enough practice, try practicing the things you want to get good at (or have a career in). If you do it enough, hopefully one day we'll hear you on a podcast talking about your expertise :) 

And I wouldn't necessarily recommend contemplating while walking. High-quality contemplation requires calmness and intense focus, which is difficult to maintain while walking. For me, imagining future scenarios I'll be in and creating a plan of action for them, as well as calling and speaking with friends or family, usually feel like really productive things to do while walking!

11 hours ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

I used to be a walker and would walk many hours per day. Sometimes I listened to music or listened to audi books in Spanish to help me learn a new language. 

But, I really like walking in silence. Use the time to contemplate, like you mention. 

Also, use the time to walk mindfully. Breath while you walk, stop and smell the roses so to speak. Walking in New and different directions will keep things interesting and spark new ideas. 

https://www.gaiam.com/blogs/discover/how-to-be-more-mindful-just-by-breathing-and-walking

Mindfulness walking could be nice! No need to grow 24/7. I'll try that

@Wyatt

Yeah maybe walking is poor time to learn anything. Planning for the future sounds is a good idea tho!

I don't see the problem, just go out listen to some audiobook and when you get home implement them and take action.

You can even take notes on it while you walk.

When I drive at night I play Leo and put my phone under the windshield up side down so it ceeates reflaction on the glass, like a hologram hehehe So I watch him and drive at the same time hue hue 

Be careful though xD

On 05/04/2021 at 7:14 PM, Hansu said:

Im reading information regarding entrepreneurship, career, and listening skills. My problem is that due to lack of social situations and unemployment, I am lacking opportunity to practice what I read.

Don't need a job to practice entrepreneurship. And talking to potential customers (on facebook for example), will enable you to practice your listening skills.

Become aware of the balance of consumption vs production. How much time in the day are you consuming content, and how much time are you producing? (meaning, being creative)

Where do you want this balance to be?

Too much consumption is going to give you an overstimulated brain and sleeping problems. Your brain needs moments of no input, like a walk, to put the subconscious to work, process what you have learnt, and generate ideas for your creative work later. I have ADD and had to learn this too. It's important to keep some hours of silence.

In the long-term, you basically only retain knowledge that you use actively at the same time that you learn it, so reading tons of books on some skill or field while not working in it or combining it with practice, is almost pointless.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

23 hours ago, flowboy said:

Don't need a job to practice entrepreneurship. And talking to potential customers (on facebook for example), will enable you to practice your listening skills.

Become aware of the balance of consumption vs production. How much time in the day are you consuming content, and how much time are you producing? (meaning, being creative)

Where do you want this balance to be?

Too much consumption is going to give you an overstimulated brain and sleeping problems. Your brain needs moments of no input, like a walk, to put the subconscious to work, process what you have learnt, and generate ideas for your creative work later. I have ADD and had to learn this too. It's important to keep some hours of silence.

In the long-term, you basically only retain knowledge that you use actively at the same time that you learn it, so reading tons of books on some skill or field while not working in it or combining it with practice, is almost pointless.

Really good points. Its probably better use of my time to workout, meditate or think of opportunities than overdo reading on daily basis if I cant put that knowledge to use in a short timespan

I'll have to rethink how I spend my days while unemployed