retardedhorse1

I Have Derealisation 24/7.anyone Else?

16 posts in this topic

Hello people,

i just thought this might be interesting to mention in the context of the spiritual journey.

For those who dont know about derealisation, its a very weird feeling of being detatched from your surroundings, like your stuck in a dream.For me and most people, its also mostly a visual experience.

Ive had constant Derealisation as long as i can remember.Ive been in therapy for years but it didnt change a thing.Im not really suffering from it anymore, as i am soo used to it.(its a permanent state, literally every second).Shinzen Young refered to it as the "evil twin of enlightenment" and i think thats really fascinating.

Heres the vid for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIKQCwDXsA

My meditation is going well, maybe someday it will change in some way, who knows.

Anyone else whos experiencing this?

Well i have to disagree, its definitely not a thought pattern and for me it isnt coupled with anxiety either.

It has been there for at least 15 years no matter what.Its a constant way of perceiving the world.

well thats a bit vague dude.Its a perceptual phenomenon not an emotional issue.Im not depressed or anything, im fine^^

Could you explain what you mean by that?

@retardedhorse1 You have to understand that it is a form of interpretation of reality that you've adopted, nothing more. It's just a tought about reality. It's neurotic thinking. Trust me, I've been there. 

@Capethaz .. I have this too for one month now. And I am fucking anxious and afraid all day long, I perceive existence as creepy and out of my control, like that a giant can come and crash me right now. I am afraid of going mad almost every second, almost every thought or feeling make me think I am mad. Now I am consulting a psychotherapist. I do understand that's a neurotic problem but it seems it's becoming the normal state for me, from morning to evening. In the evening anxiety kicks up quite strong and I have no idea what to do, sometimes it's so strong that senses are overwhelming and I am afraid to loose control and kill someone if a similar impulse wants to and I have no control over myself anymore.
What can I do then? How did you get out?

Edited by Andrea Marchetti

I've had this for around 3-4 year after traumatic events and loss of many close relatives. It is closely linked to thought patterns and anxiety. Also trauma from the past. When you get these factors solved it will go away. You need to realise that it's a defense mechanism, and when the "threat" is gone it will subside. But it will be hard, and it wont go away immediately. Also, acceptance of your current state is key to overcoming it. Personally, i'm not there yet but im much better than i was 6 months ago.

FIghting it will only make it stronger.

Edited by AxelK

Hm ye, if its a thought pattern in my case, it must be really deep in my subconscious.I dont have anxiety, even tho i had some phases in the past.

Ye its probably a defense mechanism, maybe it developed as my parents split up when i was a toddler.

Im not fighting it anymore at all, ive accepted it a long time ago.Maybe continues meditation practice will eventually resolve some of the underlying issues but im not expecting anything :) 

All i can say is that this state doesnt have to influence your life at all, its just a weird perception thats all.

@Andrea Marchetti theres nothing you can do. Trying to find something to fix is the the thing that keeps the issue going on. Move on with your life. Find things to do that you like, meditation etc...

I'm no mental health professional, but here is my 2 c. In my experience, derealization has been more of a sensory issue, rather than thought related. There is no pattern of thinking I could've changed to help me FEEL more real and get me out of that dreamlike state. I have no memory of experiencing a traumatic event (or at least not what you'd normally define as trauma), and my episodes are not accompanied by anxiety either. What has helped me so far to re-ground, reconnect and get back to reality was using a weighted blanket (or dumbbells & kettlebells) while scanning through my body, finding points where I do feel connected and spreading that sensation. It helps a lot, but it's not perfect. I'm also trying to be careful with my meditation practice as some techniques may actually intensify that sense of derealization, as somebody mentioned above. Oh, and also, It's worth looking into c-ptsd as a potential cause for derealisation and into somatic therapy as a potential therapy approach. I'm still experimenting myself. 

On 10/22/2016 at 8:02 AM, retardedhorse1 said:

Hello people,

i just thought this might be interesting to mention in the context of the spiritual journey.

For those who dont know about derealisation, its a very weird feeling of being detatched from your surroundings, like your stuck in a dream.For me and most people, its also mostly a visual experience.

Ive had constant Derealisation as long as i can remember.Ive been in therapy for years but it didnt change a thing.Im not really suffering from it anymore, as i am soo used to it.(its a permanent state, literally every second).Shinzen Young refered to it as the "evil twin of enlightenment" and i think thats really fascinating.

Heres the vid for those interested: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zIKQCwDXsA

My meditation is going well, maybe someday it will change in some way, who knows.

Anyone else whos experiencing this?

So how come therapy didn't work?  I watched the video you provided.  It seems he's trying to say you can decrease your chances of this happening if you have and use guided meditation.

I'm sorry you're in this state. I didn't know there was such a thing.  Did you try consulting a meditation guide to reverse it?  Seems to point that as a solution in the video.

At the time the therapist didnt even know what was going on and never even mentioned the term derealization, even tho my description of my experience was pretty much the textbook definition of dr^^years later i found out that there even is such a thing and that im not alone with this weird perception issue.Its not as bad as you might think, dont confuse this with depression.It still sucks tho^^