thinkingmonkey3

Is philosophy major toxic for artists?

6 posts in this topic

Hey, I am a philosophy major student. It is the only major that I find interesting but it is not real philosophy it just a joke. I love meditating, it feels like paradise when I meditate in nature. I also love reading and writing books. I feel that college is a distraction, I feel that I am wasting my time, talking about ideologies. My dream is to write books that can heal people. My parents told me that if a quit college they will stop giving me money. When I listen to the lectures in college I feel like a bored drop. When I am alone I feel like a happy drop vanished in the ocean. Is it possible for the ocean to be afraid of water?

Get your education. You might not enjoy the content, but the structure they will teach you if you apply it right will make all the difference.

But also, there is a lot to enjoy. You can work on all that stuff bit by bit now while staying in school. If you aren't in school what you gonna do? Work a fucking 9-5?

Edited by Thought Art

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

Complete what you started. If you can't be present while listening to a boring lecture you aren't that advanced when it comes to meditation.

If you were at least an intermediate meditator you would gladly listen to the lecture.

I'm also a philosophy major thinking about quitting. You need to have a plan though. Don't just drop out with no plan.

The idea of being constricted in a class by endless debates, dissecting ideologies, and discussing an ideal code of conduct with your fellow horny classmates is not exactly my cup of tea. It was, though — for the longest time.

But then comes your first mystical experience and suddenly, you'd rather explore consciousness on your own, free of (philosophical) university curriculum.

I'm sure you could leverage a philosophy major to your advantage if you really wanted. 

On 4/2/2021 at 1:15 AM, thinkingmonkey3 said:

My dream is to write books that can heal people.

Well, look at you. Doesn't that make two of us?

How's that going for you?

Maybe you are exploring the wrong field? 

Why not do a writing major or art major and then teach it while pursuing your life purpose.

I actually learned a lot of good content and skills in college. It was rough and demanding at times, at least for me, but helps with maturity. 

Edited by SgtPepper