CameronsExploring

How was your journey from Stage Orange to Green?

19 posts in this topic

I am currently learning about Spiral Dynamics. I think its a very interesting model and I'm trying to understand it better. I guess this post could be a good learning opportunity to do so. So, I'm curious about what made you move out of center Stage Orange, if you have.

What lessons did you learn from Orange?

What made you move up the spiral?

What new lessons did you learn as you moved towards more green?

What lessons from stage orange do you still use? 

in 2003 I first attended Burning Man. It was a huge culture clash for me, and shook all my stage Orange beliefs to their core. It was an abrupt and almost instantaneous shift into stage Green, that changed the course of my life. I went from a cubicle office drone (stage Orange), to a circus performer (stage Green) with a couple year span. The Green culture I amerced myself in then introduced me to the spiritual path, that propelled me into stage Yellow. 

Recently I've been listening to Imagine a lot. When I was at stage orange I was like "It's your fault if you are poor. You made a bunch of bad decisions and now you are paying the consequences.". Now I am feeling more and more of this all encompassing compassion and willingness to help anyone in any kind of situation as if they were my own children. Before at orange when I was eating meat I was like - "It's important to eat healthy meat.", now I treat the animals I eat like a Native American with respect and appreciation, often giving thanks for the flesh and being aware of the life being lost and the importance of transmuting it into a higher possibility.

29 minutes ago, Sempiternity said:

in 2003 I first attended Burning Man. It was a huge culture clash for me, and shook all my stage Orange beliefs to their core. It was an abrupt and almost instantaneous shift into stage Green, that changed the course of my life. I went from a cubicle office drone (stage Orange), to a circus performer (stage Green) with a couple year span. The Green culture I amerced myself in then introduced me to the spiritual path, that propelled me into stage Yellow. 

Wow that's very interesting! I've watched some videos about the Burning Man. I plan on traveling to place with a new culture next year for the first time, cant wait.

1 hour ago, CameronsExploring said:

What lessons did you learn from Orange?

What made you move up the spiral?

What new lessons did you learn as you moved towards more green?

What lessons from stage orange do you still use? 

I learned there’s more important things in life than your dominating social dynamics, having financial abundance and having more sexual partners than others. I learned to stop comparing myself as better/worse than others and rather to be more compassionate, loving and forgiving to those around me.

I say these things not in the cliche “there’s more to life than money maaaan” way but in the very visceral or experiential way. 

I moved up the spiral by embracing the feminine. (I’m naturally a very masculine and alpha type)

I learned how to cry and express my emotions. (I was very blocked here and actually didn’t cry for years)

I learned how to dance, sing, smile and enjoy the sensual aspects of life. I started caring about more than conquering the world and achieving all my goals. (Although these things are certainly still important to me)

I use all the same values that stage orange has but from a tier two perspective. After years of consciousness work I self identify as heavily yellow and have been able to revisit all the value system of the tier one stages but from a more conscious and wholistic perspective. 

Put simply, if you want to move from orange to green... you need to learn to open your heart and feel. 

The game of survival cannot be won. 

My father helped me...
He is a successful businessman, who has very little concern about ethics, ecology and things, that do not directly benefit him.
I learned from him, that emotional unavailability leads to trauma and tears families apart.
I learned from him, that chasing wealth and prestige doesn't guarantee happiness.
I learned from him, that a lack of empathy and self-indulgince make for a shallow and easily predictable person.
I learned from him the damage manipulative behaviors can cause.
I learned from him the significance of letting people go from one's life & the power of forgiveness.
Granted, he never talked about these topics... it was me, who did all the work uncovering this shit in him & me.

Using psychedelics for self-therapy, traveling the world, meeting hippie people, attending psychedelic conferences (educational, not festivals or parties), being interested in New Age and Eastern philosophies and practices like meditation were all the beginnings of my Green integration (in general these made me realize the world around me isn't really that "dumb" nor "just physical"; my materialism began deconstruction) :)

I had been highly competitive in high school (valedictorian) and undergraduate (3.9 GPA), which helped me get into a good grad school (UChicago). After a couple years there I still felt pretty competitive, even with my friends. But it was silly too since I knew I wasn't the most brilliant grad student or anything (I had experienced the classic journey of being big fish in a small pond to being a small fish in a big pond). And I started to feel like I was being a bit of a dick in how I related to the people I called my friends. So I decided to just ease up on "proving" myself. It helped that there were a lot of grad parties where I could go and get drunk on some wine and shoot the shit about things that were not related to my thesis research. So alcohol really helped pave the way for my transition into Green (even if it ended up causing problems later in my life).

This paralleled my movement away from libertarianism (I hated how people like Ron Paul wanted to see the '60s civil rights actions repealed) toward more moderate liberalism, an increased interest in social justice and issues of privilege, a desire for the US to be more of a "community" than merely an arena for competitive capitalism, an exploration of the gay male community where I finally felt free to be my whole self, and a tentative openness toward spirituality (the sort of spirituality found in movies like The Tree of Life & The Fountain).

It's strange to me to think that a great many people never make the transition from Orange to Green, though I do expect that a significant portion of us from the Millennial/Zoomer generations do in fact make that transition. What I've described is what it looked like for me about 13 years ago when I was in my earlylish 20's.

@CameronsExploring Being stage orange came natural to me due to a heavy interest in maths innately. Before becoming pure orange, I had some blue strengthened through spirituality with Islam. Eventually Islam fell apart for me. 

So with pure orange, I was atheistic with scientific determinism metaphysics. Sam Harris advocates for meditation, so that eventually led me to discovering spirituality again. Which led to mystical experiences of ego death, which lead to questioning stage orange metaphysics.

Maybe I bypassed some green and just went to yellow directly. But that's how it is. SD wouldn't be tidy and simple, its just a mish mash of different energies and memes. Holding it with a hierarchical/linear and judging mind creates a lot of fragmentation. 

Edited by lmfao

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough.

I grew up in Scandinavia in the 90s so I have always had some Green in me, I dont think there was any particular transition.

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Someone deconstructed my libertarian/anarcho-capitalist ideals so well I reevaluated all my worldview. Then found act.org and started reading more spiritual books, caring more about people and relationships... Weed... You know the rest

Edited by Espaim

Well, i was a regulair scientist working for the governemnt. My skin complexion was failry orange as i enjoyed the sunlight fairly often. One day i lost my glasses at the test site so i went to pick them back up and then radiation started hitting me on the spot. Then i got green and i just got so angry  ALL THE TIME! HULK ALWAYS... ALWAYS ANGRY. HULK SMASH!

7 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Well, i was a regulair scientist working for the governemnt. My skin complexion was failry orange as i enjoyed the sunlight fairly often. One day i lost my glasses at the test site so i went to pick them back up and then radiation started hitting me on the spot. Then i got green and i just got so angry  ALL THE TIME! HULK ALWAYS... ALWAYS ANGRY. HULK SMASH!

https://images.app.goo.gl/rLAXs91xGG8rWzTX7

So you became an alt-right bashing, fascist-mashing feminist SJW Hulk?

Edited by Rilles

When i noticed how my actions where effecting the people around me and began taking responsibility for it. I began feeling good when i supported someone into achieving there goals, even if i didn't. "We are a team working together". Age 15-20 or so, but i was born in a orange/green family. These transitions where free didn't have to work for it.

My mother would read turquoise books like "I am that" to me as a bed time story. Exposure to turquoise as a child.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

1 minute ago, integral said:

My mother would read the book "I am that" to me as a bed time story. Exposure to turquoise as a child.

Wow, your mom is awesome.

4 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I shared my whole Blue to Green story here if you're interested.

Wow very cool! Thanks for sharing your story. Where would you say you're at now?

16 hours ago, integral said:

My mother would read turquoise books like "I am that" to me as a bed time story. Exposure to turquoise as a child.

That's amazing. My mother taught me how to shoplift. No joke, haha

Edited by GreenLight

@GreenLight haha man... my condolences.  

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

4 hours ago, integral said:

@GreenLight haha man... my condolences.  

It's fine actually. My upbringing made my life so painful that it forced me into awakening. I guess all roads lead to God in the end.

Edited by GreenLight