tatsumaru

I feel like the idea of commitment is bogus

35 posts in this topic

I've never understood the ideas of marriage and commitment. Trying to force static ideas onto a dynamic reality has always resulted in cognitive dissonance for me. In my mind the only reason people are getting married is because their parents got married or because girls get to wear some fancy dress that they don't have a permission to wear on other days. And eventually after the excitement of the fancy holiday dissipates the couple realizes that they are just the same two people like before, that they haven't become one any more than they were before the marriage, but now they have this embarrassing contract they made with the government which basically claims that they are not allowed to change their mind anymore or else they are failures. So essentially they traded a lifelong experience of suffering for an arguably nice party.

Why do you have to make promises such as "I want to spend the rest of my life with you" that you don't really know if you can keep or not. Considering that the future is uncertain, making promises like that is clearly a lie. Why would you want to marry someone who lies to you? The whole concept is a paradox designed to fail.

That's not to say that you can't or shouldn't spend your life with one person, but if you do, you should do it because you want to, not because you are forced to by a contract or because you don't want to break your promise. And if you really want to you don't need any contracts to keep you together. In fact I would argue that it's way more likely that a person who is with you without being bound by any contracts or promises but simply because they choose to every minute of every day, is actually in love with you and wants to be there.

I feel like people who desperately want to get married have some sort of borderline personality disorder where they don't know who they are if they are not married and they derive some sort of identity out of the abstraction of marriage.

I feel like making promises or asking for guarantees is a conspiracy for mediocrity which obscures and tries to suppress resonance and direct experience. Punchline: You only need to marry the wrong person.

Do you find sex bogus? 

I find sex without commitment bogus. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

Do you find sex bogus? 

I find sex without commitment bogus.

I don't find sex bogus. I think you might be confusing commitment for love.

2 minutes ago, tatsumaru said:

I don't find sex bogus. I think you might be confusing commitment for love.

Committment is inherent in love otherwise its a non committal casual relationship. 

Call a spade a spade! 

13 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Committment is inherent in love otherwise its a non committal casual relationship. 

Call a spade a spade! 

Commitment is a promise, a choice. Real love is not a choice and hence doesn't require making commitments or promises. It simply is. When it's gone no commitment can restore it.

6 minutes ago, tatsumaru said:

Commitment is a promise, a choice. Real love is not a choice and hence doesn't require making commitments or promises. It simply is. When it's gone no commitment can restore it.

Committment is not a choice. It's a representation of love. 

Love without committment is shallow at best and disingenuous at worst. 

19 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

Committment is not a choice. It's a representation of love. 

Love without committment is shallow at best and disingenuous at worst. 

You are contradicting yourself. According to your definition of commitment, it's an inherent part of love, but there's also love without commitment.

Edited by tatsumaru

3 minutes ago, tatsumaru said:

You are contradicting yourself. According to your definition of commitment, it's an inherent part of love, but there's also love without commitment.

I mean that which is "so called love" 

Real love isn't. 

@tatsumaru It’s like You collected the opinions in my head about this subject and wrote it here?

I make contracts with spirits, but I wouldn't with a person.  I think love should be free.  People can get married if that helps them, but for me it would stress me out.  You always need the element of the person being allowed to leave imo.

why dont you test it out?

Which one works better for you. Commitment or something else.

@Preety_India Perhaps you cannot imagine how you could love someone without committing your life to them, or feeling love without them committing their life to you, but that doesn't give you ground to say everyone else who disagrees with you is just mistaken and doesn't understand "real love" like you do.

Maybe open your mind to the fact that there's more than 1 type of love since you know, people are different in more ways you can imagine. 

Love is the fabric of the Universe after all, claiming you understand what  ACTUAL Love is, is basically saying you understand God. Do you fully comprehend God?

Edited by CultivateLove

3 minutes ago, CultivateLove said:

@Preety_India Perhaps you cannot imagine how you could love someone without committing your life to them, or feeling love without them committing their life to you, but that doesn't give you ground to say everyone else who disagrees with you is just mistaken, and doesn't understand "real love" like you do.

I don't mean to say that they are wrong.

But in my world or book, it's not right as per my rule book 

If it's their worldview, well, good for them. 

Was just stating my opinion and that I disagree 

1 hour ago, tatsumaru said:

9 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

I don't mean to say that they are wrong.

But in my world or book, it's not right as per my rule book 

If it's their worldview, well, good for them. 

Was just stating my opinion and that I disagree 

If that is what you are truly trying to articulate, do you think this is a good way of articulating that message?

"Commitment is inherent in love otherwise it's a non-committal casual relationship."

"Commitment is not a choice. It's a representation of love. 

Love without commitment is shallow at best and disingenuous at worst."

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:
1 hour ago, tatsumaru said:

I mean that which is "so called love" 

Real love isn't. 

To me this just sounds judgemental, nothing else.

Edited by CultivateLove

1 minute ago, CultivateLove said:

If that is what you are truly trying to articulate, do you think this is a good way of articulating that message?

"Commitment is inherent in love otherwise it's a non-committal casual relationship."

"Commitment is not a choice. It's a representation of love. 

Love without commitment is shallow at best and disingenuous at worst."

Yep I don't see any problem. That's my worldview. 

@tatsumaru You are reading too much into it.

Saying "I want to be with you forever" can be true if that is how a person feels like in the moment. Of course they might love someone else later, how should they know?

Also getting a divorce doesn't have to be embarassing. Not everyone thinks that the state/church is this almighty entity without failures. In fact, many people cheat in marriages or get a divorce.

Marriages, like religions are traditions that helped the survival of certain communities.

I'm neither for nor against marriages but there can definitely be logical or emotional points be made in favour of them.

Yeah, commitment sucks. I like my threesomes. 

...and browsing this forum instead of working on my life purpose.

Edited by anxious_turtle
is there a reason to anything?

@Preety_India I still love all my ex-girlfriends, how does that work? There is no commitment. 

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?