Matt23

Vegetarian reintroducing chicken: safe? Thoughts? Protocols?

6 posts in this topic

(Skip down below to the next underlined part for the question.  This is just my reasons and a bit of history)

So I'm thinking about reintroducing chicken into my diet since I recently did an elimination diet testing my reactivity to high thiol foods.  I'm going to do another round to make sure, but I'm pretty damn sure I got some pretty shitty symptoms from high thiol foods (brain pressure/fog which was pretty bad, sickly feeling, depressed, and just a vague lowness I guess... hard to explain.  But the brain fog pressure thing is definitely the most pronounced symptom, which ive had in the past before to such a degree i was worried i wouldnt be able to do school well).  

Anyways, since beans are high thiols and the low thiol food list doesnt contain any nuts, just a few seeds, and though the low thiol list contains fish but I wamt to avoid fish for heavy metal reasons, I'm thinking of reintroducing chicken into my diet. 

Does anyone have any knowledge about the best ways to reintroduce meats (specifically chicken) back into one's diet after being vegetarian for about 4 years?

any tips, experiences, etc., or things that could go wrong if done incorrectly, etc.?

I'm gunna do it slowly to not jar my system too much, and probably eat more acidic things with it to help with digestion (probs some ginger).

Cheers.

"Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down"   --   Marry Poppins

On 3/27/2021 at 5:05 AM, datamonster said:

The only thing I would be asking myself is if this is really necessary and exactly what benefit do I expect to gain from eating dead birds (if that's what you can still call a modern farm chicken)?

Honestly, I feel like my biggest concern right now and what I'm caring about is getting to a state of wellbeing where I'm not fucking depressed, anxious, and nearly suicidal at times (not to mention the physical ailments).  So ya, I think a few chickens can die for this.  It might sound harsh, but if you knew how I've been feeling the past 10ish years, you'd be probably more sympathetic. 

@Matt23 If you like eating chicken you should go for it. It's really sustainable and efficient as a protein source, compared to beef, fish etc. I've raised chickens before for eggs, and it sucks when you have to slaughter them, but it can be done fairly swiftly and if you give them a good life leading up to that it's not so bad. Life feeds on life, there's no getting around it. Chicken is really sustainable, the best choice when it comes to standard available meats. Try to source your chicken from a farm that gives the birds a good life.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

3 hours ago, outlandish said:

Chicken is really sustainable

How is chicken more sustainable? 

@intotheblack in the environmental sense.

Chicken farming produces far less GHGs compared to all other farmed meats. https://ourworldindata.org/less-meat-or-sustainable-meat Chicken produces 1/5 the GHG of beef for example.

It also has one of the highest conversions of feed -> protein compared to other farming. So basically you can feed more people off of the same amount of feed going into the system. 

Beef contributes to deforestation. Chicken does not. 

Fish and farmed fish are ravaging the oceans (see Seaspiracy), chicken is much more auditable and contained.

I'm vegetarian personally so I don't eat chicken, but if you're going to eat meat, it's probably the greenest choice. I almost wish I liked eating chicken, I see it as a great choice as a protein source.

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

@outlandish Ya, I'm kinda feeling bottlenecked with the   [   diet <--> wellbeing <--> price  ] axis at the moment.  And chicken seems the best bet there.  I was also eating chicken during one of the periods of my adult life where I felt the best for the longest amount of time.  So hopefully I can get back to some sort of positivity that's sustained.  Obviously not putting all my chips into this basket, but you never know.  Never hurts to try.