Flowerfaeiry

Muslim woman feels liberated wearing a niqab

39 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Emerald said:

Hijabs and Niqabs are pretty clothing garments. I always thought so, even as a kid. It's not surprising to me that someone would prefer to wear one. 

I always found it weird that, when Muslim women choose to wear them, everyone is quick to jump to oppression over her being able to make her own decision about what she wears... even if she says so.

Yet again, I've worn dresses, corsets, heals, and make-up before and had people swear up and down that I'm choosing that because women are oppressed and that I've been programmed to think I have to. But this viewpoint is so disempowering.

So, if a Muslim woman tells me that she's wearing a Hijab or Niqab because she likes to, I remember how I don't like people to insinuate that I'm making my clothing choices because of oppression, and I take her word for it. It's not the most outlandish thing to consider that someone might want to wear one. 

They call it a 'symbol of patriarchal oppression' because the point of it is to fully cover a woman and to not show her figure, her hair, basically to not have her sex-appeal show when she leaves the house. Especially the part about 'hiding your hair because it attracts male attention' is particularly egregious to this specific tradition. It's a religious garb, which is why it doesn't generally come in different colors and shapes and sizes. Generally, women of one community will wear a hijab of only one color, say black, or violet, or some really dull and dark and boring color with low-quality cloth. No embroidery, even. Full sleeves. Wtf is this shit?! That's what I used to think when I first learned about it.


"Do not pray for an easy life. Pray for the strength to endure a difficult one." - Bruce Lee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Emerald said:

Hijabs and Niqabs are pretty clothing garments. I always thought so, even as a kid. It's not surprising to me that someone would prefer to wear one. 

I always found it weird that, when Muslim women choose to wear them, everyone is quick to jump to oppression over her being able to make her own decision about what she wears... even if she says so.

Yet again, I've worn dresses, corsets, heals, and make-up before and had people swear up and down that I'm choosing that because women are oppressed and that I've been programmed to think I have to. But this viewpoint is so disempowering.

So, if a Muslim woman tells me that she's wearing a Hijab or Niqab because she likes to, I remember how I don't like people to insinuate that I'm making my clothing choices because of oppression, and I take her word for it. It's not the most outlandish thing to consider that someone might want to wear one. 

On 3/25/2021 at 2:00 PM, EmptyVase said:

That's actually what I wanted to praise. If she feels good in a hijab/niqab, then that's great. And it should be no one's business to assess anything - as it should be her choice only.

Really good points. Have you ever seen someone wearing niqab in public? The times I have, I was surprised and felt a bit of fear tbh. Got over it quickly but yea I didn't understand why someone would wear it until watching her videos. 


"You Create Magic" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Have you ever seen someone wearing niqab in public? The times I have, I was surprised and felt a bit of fear tbh

Yes. In Germany, it is not uncommon to see people with hijabs. I visit Turkey every few years, and there you also commonly see people with niqabs. As a child, I was terrified of burqas hahaha.

Fun story, when I was little, I held my breath when I walked past people with hijabs/niqabs/burqas because I didn't want to breathe in "their stinky air". At least that's how I thought as a small child. Yep, back then I was veeery avert towards religions. Children can be so mean. xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

All clothing is stupid unless to serve a purpose of comfort, and shame is not comfort. Good aesthetics and protection from temperature / the elements is comfort. So, niqabs fail when it comes to function.

Edited by AtheisticNonduality

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Have you ever seen someone wearing niqab in public? The times I have, I was surprised and felt a bit of fear tbh.

In my country they call them Bin Laden wives.

If they see them on the streets they will say: -''Look there goes a Bin Laden wife''

Making sure that the woman wearing the oppressive garment hears it.

 

 

Arc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EmptyVase said:

Yes. In Germany, it is not uncommon to see people with hijabs. I visit Turkey every few years, and there you also commonly see people with niqabs. 

Wow I would love to travel there, yea I bet you do. 

I'm from Seattle and there are lots of women wearing hijab there, and at school I saw a couple niquabis but that was I think the only time I've seen it. At the time I thought, how extreme... 

2 hours ago, EmptyVase said:

Fun story, when I was little, I held my breath when I walked past people with hijabs/niqabs/burqas because I didn't want to breathe in "their stinky air". At least that's how I thought as a small child. Yep, back then I was veeery avert towards religions. Children can be so mean. xD

Hahaha! So funny how we make stuff up like that. As children and as adults lol. 


"You Create Magic" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

At the time I thought, how extreme... 

That's why travelling the world is so amazing. The cultural shock humbles you, makes you reassess your worldview.

1 hour ago, Flowerfaeiry said:

Hahaha! So funny how we make stuff up like that. As children and as adults lol. 

True dat. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

On 26.3.2021. at 8:04 PM, Emerald said:

Hijabs and Niqabs are pretty clothing garments. I always thought so, even as a kid. It's not surprising to me that someone would prefer to wear one. 

I always found it weird that, when Muslim women choose to wear them, everyone is quick to jump to oppression over her being able to make her own decision about what she wears... even if she says so.

Yet again, I've worn dresses, corsets, heals, and make-up before and had people swear up and down that I'm choosing that because women are oppressed and that I've been programmed to think I have to. But this viewpoint is so disempowering.

So, if a Muslim woman tells me that she's wearing a Hijab or Niqab because she likes to, I remember how I don't like people to insinuate that I'm making my clothing choices because of oppression, and I take her word for it. It's not the most outlandish thing to consider that someone might want to wear one. 

Why disempowering, I would have nothing against to see it. 

14 hours ago, Arcangelo said:

In my country they call them Bin Laden wives.

If they see them on the streets they will say: -''Look there goes a Bin Laden wife''

Making sure that the woman wearing the oppressive garment hears it.

 

 

Arc

Man you seriously lack wisdom and open mindedness. 

You know people on average are not that great and you shouldn't follow that, take that as standard or aspire to be like that. Be greater. 

Kud svi vuci tu i mali Mujo. 

Edited by zeroISinfinity

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Man you seriously lack wisdom and open mindedness.

Dude! I said in my country, I said they not we.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am (very) open minded. But I'm not stupid.

I can recognize oppression when I see it.

And I am wise, merely because I am kinda getting old.

 

Arc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, zeroISinfinity said:

Kud svi vuci tu i mali Mujo. 

Are you casting some magical spell on us my friend?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GreenLight said:

Are you casting some magical spell on us my friend?

Had notion that Arc is croat maybe mixed him with someone else. 

Literal teanslation is "Where all wolfs go that's where little Mujo(bosniak name) goes". 

It's just saying. Pretty much slap in face thing. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2021 at 8:04 PM, Emerald said:

Hijabs and Niqabs are pretty clothing garments. I always thought so, even as a kid. It's not surprising to me that someone would prefer to wear one.

Is that a goth thing :P


O.o Ooo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Btw, when thinking about it from a spiritual perspective, its kind of hot.

When you think about it. The female biological wiring is designed around seeking and buffing attention so it can attract a potential mate. The more mates one attracts, the more choice one has on with whom should one share its genes. This ways females are doing the evolutionary selection, unconsciously/consciously choosing the best genes.

Its mostly an unconscious "bios" level game we are playing, there is also the female dominance hierarchy, which is not pretty, just like the male, not to mention all the inner struggles and schism that happen because of it. Right now in our culture this has gotten out of hand, especially with the tools we have noways such as instagram that hack into this biological wiring and bizarrely overblow it in the process.

I a way, the niqab is an override of all of this. Getting beyond your biological wiring. I can certainly understand how it must feel liberating. Ofc I am aware of the oppressive part and its usage as "males, keeping males in control, by covering and oppressing the females"

Edited by Yog

O.o Ooo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really can say goodbye to all this human stuff it really is all so funny. Humaning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Yog said:

Btw, when thinking about it from a spiritual perspective, its kind of hot.

When you think about it. The female biological wiring is designed around seeking and buffing attention so it can attract a potential mate. The more mates one attracts, the more choice one has on with whom should one share its genes. This ways females are doing the evolutionary selection, unconsciously/consciously choosing the best genes.

Its mostly an unconscious "bios" level game we are playing, there is also the female dominance hierarchy, which is not pretty, just like the male, not to mention all the inner struggles and schism that happen because of it. Right now in our culture this has gotten out of hand, especially with the tools we have noways such as instagram that hack into this biological wiring and bizarrely overblow it in the process.

I a way, the niqab is an override of all of this. Getting beyond your biological wiring. I can certainly understand how it must feel liberating. Ofc I am aware of the oppressive part and its usage as "males, keeping males in control, by covering and oppressing the females"

Yea for sure! I totally see it like this as well. In fact watching her has made me think about how I have put my beauty on display because I wanted attention. And It's almost like the more I was sort of careless around my beauty, the less beautiful I actually felt. Keeping a mystery about it actually amps up the beauty. In fact watching this woman I'm like damn, she's hot as f lol. 


"You Create Magic" 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Many women who had their genitals removed think it is a good idea and do it to their daughters again. At least that is my impression. So how much is what a person from a extremist cult says truthful?

If somebody from scientology came with his weird stuff you might not be so hesitant. Because scientologyphobe is not a thing yet.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now