kag101

Does anybody here play chess?

34 posts in this topic

Beautiful and fun game, I'm not totally convinced of all the wide-reaching benefits though. The only major effect I notice outside the playing is that my mind starts contantly imagining chess moves when trying to sleep, meditate or concentrate. If I play a lot of chess, my monkey mind goes crazy obsessively trying to somehow solve these chess patterns that appear in my mind. 

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

Anybody else simply playing it for fun? xD

I would tend to agree with @EnlightenmentBlog regarding the type of strategic thinking you're developing. Even if it was highly generalizable, I think most people already have enough step-by-step linear logic anyway.

Working on your intuition will supercharge your strategic thinking, which will be the kind of strategic thinking that takes you into Tier 2 territory: solid left-brain base with intuitive augmentations. There is nothing more strategic than letting God do the thinking for you :P

Edited by Carl-Richard

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

@EnlightenmentBlog Completely agree with you. 

I wanted to learn how to play Chess just for developing strategic thinking, but actually is just for the game itself. Just like gamers who suck at life but ace their games. 

Being strategic with people and situations is a whole nother Lvl cuz it requires courage, managing emotions, real time, etc. 

Chess doesnt threatens your survival unless it pays your bills. 

Edited by Kalki Avatar

Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know. - Jeremiah 33:3

https://open.spotify.com/track/4V0rRwRqhFPxSJb40XmKA1?si=lNN5hNRPTxi6zNzzi9gFqw&utm_source=copy-link

4 hours ago, TheAlchemist said:

The only major effect I notice outside the playing is that my mind starts contantly imagining chess moves when trying to sleep, meditate or concentrate.

@TheAlchemist Oh god I have that too... I hate it, especially when I'm trying to sleep. But I think it's correlated to how much stress you have. 

14 hours ago, OceanRiver said:

(he's basically a grandmaster). 

Whats his name, Maybe I know him.

For me Chess is the ultimate model for representing Life without God/mercy/miracles.

I´m about 2000 on lichess, it is hard to improve because you need to study chess in order to get better rating. 

The way I learned chess was while tripping, sth clicked and suddenly I started to understand the moves. it is all about evaluation. you get better by improving your ability to evaluate the position.

49 minutes ago, Fadl said:

I´m about 2000 on lichess

@Fadl For real? Damn. 

@Tim R I have the same user name there, add me, maybe we can play some rapid one day.

Master level, stopped progressing because to improve required memorizing games and openings. Didn't see any benefits in doing that, so changed hobbies into software. 

Would love to go back to the game and see if i could incorporate god mind intuition as discribed by @Carl-Richard.

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

8 hours ago, Carl-Richard said:

I would tend to agree with @EnlightenmentBlog regarding the type of strategic thinking you're developing. Even if it was highly generalizable, I think most people already have enough step-by-step linear logic anyway.

Its about learning how to navigate the chaos more then it is linear thinking. There are many plateaus on the road to mastery, each requires a kind of differentiation and integration to overcome. But it seems it has very little to do with vertical growth unfortunately. The top players are solid orange or maybe its just the only stage that gets to the top, winning and losing is a top value.  

https://christopherming.com/notes/the-art-of-learning-josh-waitzkin/

If anyones interested in mixing chess with spirituality, Josh Waitzkin is the way to go. Not super advanced, but its a good way to learn the art of learning through chess. 

Edited by integral

How is this post just me acting out my ego in the usual ways? Is this post just me venting and justifying my selfishness? Are the things you are posting in alignment with principles of higher consciousness and higher stages of ego development? Are you acting in a mature or immature way? Are you being selfish or selfless in your communication? Are you acting like a monkey or like a God-like being?

@Fadl Lol you're going to absolutely crush me, I'm at around 1000xD I have never learned any tactics or openings or whatever, so...

Example of navigating the chaos. 

Edited by integral

I enjoy to play. Preferably I play in person using a beautiful wooden board together with a good beer.

Nowadays, my friends and I only play Chess960(Fischer-Random) where the pieces in the back are randomized.

I think it's more fun and there is less advantage to gain from studying, so no one really bothers about studying openings.

We just play.

Anyone playing Chess960?

I love to play chess but I'm not very good at it,  but that doesn't stop me from playing,  I don't mind losing as long as I enjoy the game