Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Edward mahairi

Spiral dynamics book!

7 posts in this topic

Has anyone bought and read the spiral dynamics book by Christopher Cowan and Don Beck?

What do you think about the book?

Thanks!

Very insightful. Leo's video's build a really good foundation for that, but there is a lot of good stuff packed into it. I'll be interested to study integral theory to see how it compares. 

There is some fairly insightful stuff to help you move up stages. However, I found ego development theory better at pinpointing more things to work on in-between stages for personal application. I find the SD book to give a lot of good frame work on moving society through them. 

I would say it is an essential read for this kind of work. It is one that I plan to re-read in the future again. Probably the best book to get started on having a better understanding of how these models would work. 

Posted (edited)

hey, I also want to read this book as I have also heard about it a lot. This book is really cool and gives you ideas about contemporary business practices.

Edited by bracknelson123

On 23/03/2021 at 9:49 PM, Edward mahairi said:

Has anyone bought and read the spiral dynamics book by Christopher Cowan and Don Beck?

What do you think about the book?

Thanks!

It's pretty basic imo. They cover the same key points that you'll find in the Actualized series but in less detail. They also didn't address non-linear spiral progress problem, the illusion of "predicting the future" and how relativity breaks the spiral model both in micro and macro view. (I've yet to see someone talking about those issues in depth...)

It's a good summary if you're into the SD and need a refresher from someone other than Leo.

However I'd recommend you moving on to Cook-Greuter Ego Development model instead

- you'll get more out of it and you won't risk the trap of becoming one of the Six Crayons Gang members here that will dwarf your development.

On 3/24/2021 at 1:08 AM, Average Investor said:

I'll be interested to study integral theory to see how it compares.

Integral eats SD. It's easily more comprehensive, and one of the most important things that Integral integrates is shadow dysfunctions, which help us understand unhealthy manifestations of each level. But @Edward mahairi , you definitely want to read SD first. It's a great start to understanding developmental psychology. 

27 minutes ago, k0ver said:

You'll get more out of it and you won't risk the trap of becoming one of the Six Crayons Gang members here that will dwarf your development.

Accurate. 

I read it and found it very dense. I got much more practically out of Leo's videos, though reading the book did help me. I want to re-read it after I start my own business and see if I can grasp the concepts better.

"Yes is the answer... And you know that! Fasho!

Yes is surrender! You gotta let it... you gotta let it GO!" - John Lennon, Mind Games