InterruptReQuest

Reimplementing aggression

3 posts in this topic

First off, I want to say that I'm not 100% sure if 'aggression' is the right word here, because there is a lot of contradicting descriptions for what it is. The description is more important than what word I use here. I found a page about aggression on a mental health website (not available in English) that explained why aggression is needed (a rough translation):

Aggression is the power to make change. Often aggression is viewed as bad. However, without aggression one would be powerless to actualize their will. Aggression makes one strong and independent and gives energy to act and work towards things that one, or one's community values. It makes one believe him/herself, courage to stand ones ground and defend one's values without using destructive or undoable methods. For example, aggression is needed when one wants to make change to something that feels bad or wrong. This way aggression is power or energy to make change.

I heard something similar also in some shadow work related content. A lot of the benefits described in the quote are either partially or fully lacking in my life, so I was wondering how should I start to reimplement this in my life again? I guess you could view reimplementing aggression as taking one's power back. I know that the problem in my case is repression, but I'm not sure about the effective methods for for "undoing" the repression. I do have a faint memory of what could be the source of the repression (or at least one of the cases that eventually lead to it), which I guess is a good start.

I actually have a very similar issue. I lack personal power and lack aggression, mostly because (i think) being completely trained out of it / my mother basically installing a fear and victim mentality in me that I don't seem to be able to shake. 

Maybe Parts Work (see for example Teal Swan) might help.

If you got any good solutions, feel free to tell me. You can also pm me if you want and we can maybe try to help each other with that.

@InterruptReQuest aggression has qualities of anger, analogously just practice it like you would sadness. You want to focus that kind of energy in the sense of moving towards self empowerment. It’s super duper simple, start giving it a whirl and you’ll get the hang of it before you know it. Regulate it with calm breathing and focusing the energy towards your goals and strengthening the focus of your ambition.