Tim R

How to avoid spiritual ego?

14 posts in this topic

How do I recognize it when action or thought stems from the spiritual ego? 

When for example I see a beggar on the street and give him some money, how do I ensure that this isn't motivated by selfishness masked as selflessness? 

Wait a minute... Why do I have the desire to avoid selfishness by avoiding a spiritual ego? I'm still being selfish then... 

It's impossible to do it, isn't it?

I can't get around being selfish, no matter what. 

What should I do? Act out the selfishness? Or pretend to be selfless? 

It's a perfect trap...

The spiritual ego is a thought by itself (more precisely 'identification with thinking'). Less thinking, more feeling, daily meditation practice helps to be more sensitive. Feelings is a guidance system. If it feels like "goodness, ease, peace, joy, happiness, abundance, passion, etc" then go for it.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

2 minutes ago, Tim R said:

When for example I see a beggar on the street and give him some money, how do I ensure that this isn't motivated by selfishness masked as selflessness? 

Wait a minute... Why do I have the desire to avoid selfishness by avoiding a spiritual ego? I'm still being selfish then... 

It's a perfect trap...

I was homeless for many many years on my spirit "quest" hehehe

Now that I'm a regular guy : ) I mostly pass them by and wish them luck.

Not long ago a homeless lady asked me for a ride and said she would get me some gas.

She pulled out a sock stuffed full of money, $20s, $50s must have been over a thousand dollars. Then she wanted me to take her somewhere else she pulled out another money stuffed sock.

Pan handling was her "job".

Where you find people begging for money you'll most likely find a package store very near by.

Not that there is anything "wrong" with it.

I just see it as there job, standing with their signs, mostly trying to play off the guilt of people.

Sometimes I will give but not out of guilt but if I feel like giving in my heart. But hardly ever.

Do I want to pay them to stand in the street?

I wouldn't judge myself for giving/not giving. 

I don't see it as spiritual ego. I like to error on the side of love.

26 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Your first belief is that there's such thing as an ego. Then, you added on top of that a thing called a spiritual ego (ego 2.0, lol?)

Both must be (and will be) seriously questioned, eventually.

32 minutes ago, Tim R said:

Again, it's okay if you're not ready to seriously question your sense of self at this time (I'm also in this situation, hehe).

After all, consciousness allows infinite forms of expression, so no need to be so hard on yourself!

30 minutes ago, Tim R said:

It's a perfect trap...

Yep, the ego loves getting itself into trouble xD

1 hour ago, Tim R said:

It's a perfect trap...

This is an issue and trap as long as a "me" is believed...as long as the illusion of duality is believed.

When there is no "me"...no gain or loss...nor superior or inferior...no "others"...there is no ego motivating anything.

Edited by eputkonen

Eric Putkonen - stopped blogging and now do videos on YouTube - http://bit.ly/AdvaitaChannel

There is no body?

I see bodies everywhere I go.

There is ego until there isn't.

One can't live as if there is no ego if they are still aware of ego. That wouldn't be congruent.

One has to be integritious to where they are.

As a self, your identity will align with your spiritual discovers this way or another. 

However, if you adopt some words in a book or hearsay as the truth, this is no different from being a religious person and it is the sure way for developing a spiritual ego.

Briefly, learn to distinct belief from consciousness, work to become directly conscious of the nature of ego\mind\self, and be honest with yourself and others.

Be genuinely motivated by what you love, not what you fear.

Intrinsic joy is revealed in the marriage of meaning and being.

trying to avoid it is already the first mistake

Self Love. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Just by being aware of it. This forum is a good place to catch it in the act... or perhaps after the fact... but better late than never

7 hours ago, freejoy said:

There is ego until there isn't.

One can't live as if there is no ego if they are still aware of ego. That wouldn't be congruent.

One has to be integritious to where they are.

Here comes the million dollar question, what difference does it make if someone without ego spews dogmatic ..., or on with ego? 

Sure one is free of ego , but does it change the story? 

I don't know much but just bei kind to yourself :). Don't punish yourself for anything. 

You are loved, no matter what.

25 minutes ago, PureRogueQ said:

Here comes the million dollar question, what difference does it make if someone without ego spews dogmatic ..., or on with ego? 

Sure one is free of ego , but does it change the story? 

Intention mostly.

Someone can be wrong even Enlightened One(s) : )

I don't like the word "spews" in this context. Seems to imply judgement.

If one is worried about a spiritualized ego they probably don't have one. The ego just thinks it's "spiritual person" thinks it's special. It's not that big of a deal. It's much better to have a spiritual ego than an mean ego.

Dogma isn't all "bad" anything that points toward God will lower disorder in my view.

Yeah