Vision

I'm insulin resistant. Don't know what advice to follow.

42 posts in this topic

Dr. Neil Barnard|s advise.  He and the PCRM are specialized on tackling diabetes t2. Go check out their health section, maybe contact them.  Gotta get the fat out of the muscle cells to combat insulin resistance. Its possible to reverse t2 diabetes.

https://www.pcrm.org/health-topics/diabetes

Edited by ilja

18 hours ago, Vision said:

@Leo Gura

How can I tell if I have a gut bacteria problem? 

SIBO breath test kits, bloating, gas, digestion problems, etc.

18 hours ago, Vision said:

Leaky gut, however, very likely. Where does it say the book isn't for leaky gut? 

It doesn't say explicitly, but if you have leaky gut or SIBO, eating carbs will make things much worse -- and that book tells you to eat lots of carb sources.

Have you read Liver Rescue?

Yes

I have trouble trusting the author fully as I strongly disagree with some of their points. There are no cravings during ketosis so their claim that keto diet is just whipping yourself into restricting foods with sheer willpower is wrong.

That's right, you shouldn't just trust such books. You must test against your own direct experience.

There is definitely false information in those books. Which is not to say they are all bad.

16 hours ago, Twega said:

@Vision @Leo Gura 

None of this matters if you got SIBO or leaky gut. Carbs are worse in that case.

There is no simple one-size-fits-all answer for diet. Different people require different diets at different times depending on their conditions and situations.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura  The problem is you need a lot of fibre from different plant sources to help with leaky gut or sibo and that could mean carbs.

Edited by ilja

@Leo Gura

Do you think it’s best to just go with the diet I feel best on? For my case it would be keto, but with people saying it’s a disaster long term, I’m lost. Like do I go on a non-keto diet that I feel worse on relative to a keto diet, just to hopefully save my long term health?

2 hours ago, ilja said:

@Leo Gura  The problem is you need a lot of fibre from different plant sources to help with leaky gut or sibo and that could mean carbs.

This is false. Fiber must be avoided at all costs as it feeds the SIBO, and SIBO inflames the gut, making it more leaky.

1 hour ago, Vision said:

@Leo Gura

Do you think it’s best to just go with the diet I feel best on? For my case it would be keto, but with people saying it’s a disaster long term, I’m lost. Like do I go on a non-keto diet that I feel worse on relative to a keto diet, just to hopefully save my long term health?

Just because it feels good doesn't make it healthy long-term.

Do keto for now, fix your issues, then you can expand to healthier diets. You gotta find which plant foods you're sensitive too and avoid those while eating the good stuff you're not sensitive to.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

@Leo Gura yeah in the beginning, as long as the bad bacteria from meat is there it will make it worse. once that is gone the bacs from fibre shouldnt be an issue and actually stabilizers. these problems usually create from a lack of fibre in the first place.

Edited by ilja

14 hours ago, Bogdan said:

I have been researching nutrition non-stop for the past 5 years. I have heard everything, and i have tried almost everything. 

There is this youtube channel, Vegetable Police, and he has gone from vegan to carnivore to vegan again to carnivore again numerous times over the past few years. He even did 20 day fasts and stuff like that.

Then there is this other channel, called Gojiman. Gojiman is a nutritionist on his way to becoming a PhD in nutrition and from the very start, before Vegetable Police went carnivore for the first time, or do the long fasts. He offered to help him, get him tested, find out exactly what he has and then go on an appropriate treatment.

Veg Police refused.

He wanted to heal himself...

Then, Veg Police went on to make videos explaining what he was going to try, and based on that, Gojiman predicted what was going to happen to VG. Needless to say, Gojiman was right every single time.

On the other hand, Gojiman has numerous videos on his channel of case studies - people that took the tests Gojiman suggested, found out exactly what problem they had and then went on the treatment and successfully got rid of their issues.

I'm not saying that Gojiman is the only good nutritionist out there.  I'm saying that nutritionists or doctors like him are the ones you want. Because they are the only ones obtaining results! 

So my advice would be to research the shit out of his channel. He will answer most of your questions. 

I have similar issues as what you describe, or Leo describes. I am currently gathering money to take the tests. I will make posts about my results in the future. Until then, no advice can i give you, since i am not a trained professional. And besides, without tests no one can give you any meaningful advice.

I second this. OP, check out Gojiman he is legit and an expert in gut issues. Don't listen to science bros.

12 hours ago, Vision said:

@Bogdan

Would going keto solve gut issues? 

No. In my opinion you can't solve gut issues by winging it on your own. There are literally thousands of things that could be wrong with your gut, if not more. You need to do tests and work with a competent professional that knows what they're doing.

That being said, if you find keto to be more manageable until you get tested, do whatever. But don't delay solving your problems, as they will get worse with time.

On 22.3.2021 at 2:40 AM, Leo Gura said:

This is false. Fiber must be avoided at all costs as it feeds the SIBO, and SIBO inflames the gut, making it more leaky.

Just because it feels good doesn't make it healthy long-term.

Do keto for now, fix your issues, then you can expand to healthier diets. You gotta find which plant foods you're sensitive too and avoid those while eating the good stuff you're not sensitive to.

Beta-glucans (a type of fiber) found in oats seem to have a positive impact on intestinal health: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ernaehrungs-umschau.de/fileadmin/Ernaehrungs-Umschau/pdfs/pdf_2020/03_20/EU03_2020_PR_Glei_engl_Ansicht.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwimvPut_MbvAhWoxIsKHWBoAIsQFjAAegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw2tRYtA9p5jdglrY84mmk91&cshid=1616521645846

"Conclusion
β-glucans have a variety of effects that are relevant to health. 
The potential of this group of substances to reduce both choles-
terol and postprandial glucose concentrations has been proven in 
a large number of studies and has been confirmed by the EFSA 
with health claims in the context of authorizations. However, 
the current data is less clear-cut in terms of effects on intestinal 
health markers. Nevertheless, there is increasing scientific evi-
dence that β-glucans have positive effects on intestinal parame-
ters. For example, studies show that regular consumption of foods 
that contain β-glucan is associated with increased formation of 
health-promoting short-chain fatty acids, with a favorable effect 
on the intestinal microbiome, with activation of the intestinal im-
mune system and with a strengthened intestinal barrier, as well 
as with a reduction of inflammatory processes in the intestine. 
Therefore, consumption of at least 3 g of β-glucans per day ap-
pears to be advisable for intestinal health."

And: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/2/321/pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVv5Gm_cbvAhVFl4sKHWJJD4sQFjAMegQIDRAC&usg=AOvVaw06JlfJ-mZ-FGD-9UyFjTYS

"Conclusions: Dietary intake of βGl and βGh significantly
reduced colitis by time-dependent modification of autophagy and apoptosis, with βGI exhibiting a
stronger effect on apoptosis and βGh on autophagy. The mechanism of this action may be based on
the activation of TLRs and Dectin-1 receptor and depends on the period of exacerbation or remission
of CD."

Also some research that points to benefits for diabetic patients: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4728652/

Eat oatmeal everyday, I do?

Can you bite your own teeth?  --  “What a caterpillar calls the end of the world we call a butterfly.

@Vision  What about intermittent fasting?

I'm not an expert on this or anything, just my dad has diabetes type 2 and he's been on metformin for years.

Now that he's taken up intermittent fasting, his insulin sensitivity has gone up and the doctor says he can take less meds, almost quit them.

Being impressed with that, I started to take up intermittent fasting.

Here's how I eat: I drink only water until 12pm. That gets me in ketosis. Especially if I work out in the morning. Then my breakfast at 12 is either eggs fried in coconut oil, or a fatty steak. That prolongs the ketosis for another hour. After that, I slowly start eating fruit and the other carby stuff, until I do it all over again the next morning. I feel great on it. Perhaps you would like to try it.

Edited by flowboy

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@WaveInTheOcean

3 hours ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

Beta-glucans (a type of fiber) found in oats seem to have a positive impact on intestinal health: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ernaehrungs-umschau.de/fileadmin/Ernaehrungs-Umschau/pdfs/pdf_2020/03_20/EU03_2020_PR_Glei_engl_Ansicht.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwimvPut_MbvAhWoxIsKHWBoAIsQFjAAegQIARAC&usg=AOvVaw2tRYtA9p5jdglrY84mmk91&cshid=1616521645846

"Conclusion
β-glucans have a variety of effects that are relevant to health. 
The potential of this group of substances to reduce both choles-
terol and postprandial glucose concentrations has been proven in 
a large number of studies and has been confirmed by the EFSA 
with health claims in the context of authorizations. However, 
the current data is less clear-cut in terms of effects on intestinal 
health markers. Nevertheless, there is increasing scientific evi-
dence that β-glucans have positive effects on intestinal parame-
ters. For example, studies show that regular consumption of foods 
that contain β-glucan is associated with increased formation of 
health-promoting short-chain fatty acids, with a favorable effect 
on the intestinal microbiome, with activation of the intestinal im-
mune system and with a strengthened intestinal barrier, as well 
as with a reduction of inflammatory processes in the intestine. 
Therefore, consumption of at least 3 g of β-glucans per day ap-
pears to be advisable for intestinal health."

And: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.mdpi.com/2072-6643/13/2/321/pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjVv5Gm_cbvAhVFl4sKHWJJD4sQFjAMegQIDRAC&usg=AOvVaw06JlfJ-mZ-FGD-9UyFjTYS

"Conclusions: Dietary intake of βGl and βGh significantly
reduced colitis by time-dependent modification of autophagy and apoptosis, with βGI exhibiting a
stronger effect on apoptosis and βGh on autophagy. The mechanism of this action may be based on
the activation of TLRs and Dectin-1 receptor and depends on the period of exacerbation or remission
of CD."

Also some research that points to benefits for diabetic patients: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4728652/

Hell yes! Eat oatmeal for breakfast, stick to it, and most likely any digestive problems gradually go away, as some of mine went away in time. Also makes weight loss much easier, and depending on how you make it, helps with gaining some muscle mass too.

8 hours ago, flowboy said:

What about intermittent fasting?

Yes, I do intermittent fasting. Mostly 16:8 but sometimes 18:6

I'm not an expert on this or anything, just my dad has diabetes type 2 and he's been on metformin for years.

Yeah, my family also has a history of diabetes which makes me even more concerned. My family has a history of type 1 diabetes including my dad, aunty and grandparents. 

Here's how I eat: I drink only water until 12pm. That gets me in ketosis. Especially if I work out in the morning. Then my breakfast at 12 is either eggs fried in coconut oil, or a fatty steak. That prolongs the ketosis for another hour. After that, I slowly start eating fruit and the other carby stuff, until I do it all over again the next morning. I feel great on it. Perhaps you would like to try it.

Are you sure you're in ketosis? It usually takes 2-4 days to fully get into ketosis, eating fruit and carbs immediately kicks you out of it. Have you tried experimenting with less than 20g carbs for at least a week or two? If it works for you and you like it more then that's great. 

My current diet is meat organs, chicken, and a lot of vegetables. 10 cups of vegetables and per meal. 

9 hours ago, WaveInTheOcean said:

Oats contain lots of lectins, most people with gut issues are sensitive to that from what I've read. 

What are your thoughts on lectins @WaveInTheOcean @Danioover9000

Edited by Vision

On 3/21/2021 at 8:40 PM, Leo Gura said:

5 hours ago, Vision said:

Yes, I do intermittent fasting. Mostly 16:8 but sometimes 18:6

Yeah, my family also has a history of diabetes which makes me even more concerned. My family has a history of type 1 diabetes including my dad, aunty and grandparents. 

Are you sure you're in ketosis? It usually takes 2-4 days to fully get into ketosis, eating fruit and carbs immediately kicks you out of it. Have you tried experimenting with less than 20g carbs for at least a week or two? If it works for you and you like it more then that's great. 

My current diet is meat organs, chicken, and a lot of vegetables. 10 cups of vegetables and per meal. 

Oats contain lots of lectins, most people with gut issues are sensitive to that from what I've read. 

What are your thoughts on lectins @WaveInTheOcean @Danioover9000

Lectins?

Cooking removes lectins. Longest living people eat beans almost daily. 

9 hours ago, Vision said:

Are you sure you're in ketosis? It usually takes 2-4 days to fully get into ketosis

It feels similar to when I was doing keto for a few months. But I'm not sure. I thought that ketosis only takes 3 days the first time you do it, and you slip back into it faster as your body gets used to it, but again, not an expert.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

Insulin resistance is the last stage before becoming full-blown type 2 diabetic, this is not something to take lightly. A poorly managed diabetes or insulin resistance can result in irreversible damage to your optic nerve, your nerves in the extremities, kidneys and progressive arterial narrowing. 

Step 1 : Go and get tested by your doctor. Ask them to test for blood glucose and HbA1C 

It is possible that these symptoms are linked to your gut not to you being insulin resistant. In fact, I am pretty sure this is the case 

No time to play around, book an appointment with your doc and get tested. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@ilja I'm very aware of what PCRM do, have read some of Dr Barnard's studies as well. I think this is one of the best (if not THE best) protocols for reversing diabates type 2. My message was based on the fact that we should not guess but we need to test. IR is not something to joke with and if it is diagnosed, it needs to be treated asap. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus