Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tatsumaru

Best books on how to think?

8 posts in this topic

I am interested in improving the quality of my thinking process. Learning how to ask better questions, be more aware of fallacies, be aware of more effective and productive paradigms and of more radical/novel ideas that might not be particularly popular. List some of your favorite books on thinking. Thanks.

Edited by tatsumaru

Read the Kalama Sutra, spoken by the Buddha some 2500 years ago. 

“Nowhere is it writ that anthropoid apes should understand reality.” - Terence McKenna

The path of least resistance by Robert Fritz

It introduced me to some very unpopular systemic thinking approaches. It really improved the way I see and manage my daily problems and decisions

"When Everything Changes" by Neale Donald Walsch (2009)

Same author who wrote Conversations with God.

The first half of the book deals with, what he calls, The Mechanics of the Mind. He explains how, basically, the mind operates, what the mind is and some techniques on how to use the mind to the benefit of self.

The second half of the book is more esoteric in nature and talks about the inner workings of the soul and the connection to divinity.

Highly recommended, all in all.

Enjoy!

Greg.

"I believe you are more afraid of condemning me to the stake than for me to receive your cruel and disproportionate punishment."

- Giordano Bruno, Campo de' Fiori, Rome, Italy. February 17th, 1600.

Cosmic pluralist, mathematician and poet.

I think he meant more books on analytical thinking rather than anything spiritual. Probably books that will lead to a Leo-like level of deep thinking. 

I too am looking for similar books, so I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread!

19 minutes ago, Setzer901 said:

I think he meant more books on analytical thinking rather than anything spiritual. Probably books that will lead to a Leo-like level of deep thinking. 

I too am looking for similar books, so I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread!

Well, I am interested in anything that could improve the quality of my thought. I don't care if it comes from Zen or Socrates. In my opinion systems thinking has one foot in spirituality and one foot in rationality so I don't mind being inclusive of alternative paradigms.

Hey tatsumaru,

Learning how to think is a very individual process - if you just want some books, than thats okay - its a necessary partm but be aware that this alone wont make you a good thinker. Its takes practice and a lot of feedback in my opinion - we are very easy to trick, especially by ourselves! 

First thing to know, bad thinking is a pandemic.
There are not many good thinkers - Its rare. Extremely rare. 
By far the best meta-thinker I have encountered in the last coupple of years is a guy called "Daniel Schmachtenberger". I will link some relevant videos below - its relevant, because "sensemaking" and "how to think" are one of his biggest topics. It will give you a great starting point!

MD. Internal medicine/gastroenterology - Evidence based integral health approaches

"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us act, just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that wants our love."
- Rainer Maria Rilke