tatsumaru

Which Spiral Dynamics stage corresponds to Self-Actualization?

6 posts in this topic

Hey,
I know that Maslow's Hierarchy and the Spiral Dynamics models aren't identical but from what I've seen there can be some pretty strong parallels. Hence I would like to know which SD stage corresponds to being self-actualized, to having found authentic inspiration and purpose in life? Thanks.

1 hour ago, louhad said:

yellow 

I feel like one can be a systems thinker without having realized one's own purpose though. Maybe one is at least aware of the importance of uncovering one's own inspiration though.

Green probably. Orange is still a bit too focused on the material. 

Dont look at me! Look inside!

Think of the stages of the Spiral as a map of reality that explains how to navigate a society at a certain level of complexity as measured by technology, population, etc. For example, Stage Purple is the map of reality that helps one navigate through Tribal life and the technology and population size that comes with it. Obviously Stage Purple can no longer properly explain the current reality because we live in a world of nearly 8 billion people and have God-like levels of technology relative to Purple society. 

So with that being said, self-actualization can occur at any stage as long as that stage sufficiently explains a person's reality. Our current society is predominantly Stage Orange and Stage Green, with Stage Yellow emerging at the forefront. You can become self-actualized at any stage, but the person who is operating with a Stage Yellow map of reality will be better equipped to navigate the world than someone at a lower stage.