Striving for more

Best plant based protein sources?

19 posts in this topic

What are the best plant based protein sources for overall health, energy, mental sharpness & nutrients / vitamins

Also, has anyone quit eating eggs? I had some "organic" eggs today, & they taste like shit, make me feel weird.

I do not trust eggs anymore, fish is polluted, meat is rarely high quality, it's all trash. 

Food is rarely fresh in the UK, because we import it from other countries, then we buy a week or 2 later. 

Where is the best place to order fresh organic food online?

I mainly get my protein from pea protein plant milk, peanut butter, and tofu.

Other micronutrients from fruits and veggies :)

Edited by RendHeaven

It's Love.

Sprouted beans, legumes, nuts, seeds, vegetables ect.. are the highest bio-available form of nutrients and protein for the human body. Living food has an entirely different level of utilization and fusion compared to cooked and processed foods.

Edited by Quantum Toad

Quinoa is something people would call a “complete protein”. All whole plant foods carry all 9 essential amino acids, some just have lower amounts than others. 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

order some legumes, lentils & nuts in bulk such as here https://www.buywholefoodsonline.co.uk/  or here https://www.realfoods.co.uk/wholefoods or. Things like red lentils are literally 40-50% protein dry weight and for the cost of Pret coffee you can get 2 kilos. 

This is all the protein you'll need and the only one you can get if you are avoiding meat & soy. 

In terms of other produce: able & cole is good but imo large supermarkets like Asda are enough and they have good organic selection 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

On 23/03/2021 at 1:15 PM, Michael569 said:

This is all the protein you'll need and the only one you can get if you are avoiding meat & soy. 

What about all the 12 essential amino acids from animal meat?

I didn't think lentils contained all them

Edited by Striving for more

On 17/03/2021 at 4:22 PM, datamonster said:

From the top of my head: Beans, chick peas, peas, lentils, green beans, whole grains, tofu, seitan, tempeh, edamame, oats, nuts, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes, potatoes.

I don't think it's necessary to worry about protein though. You'll probably get enough if you just eat enough calories and eat reasonably well.

Make sure to get enough of these though: B12, Vitamin D, DHA, iodine, Zinc, EPA and selenium as they are important and potentially a bit harder to get on a vegan diet compared to a mixed diet.

To be honest I can't eat most of those foods. 

My priority right now is not going vegan, it's just eating a low thiol/sulfur diet - based on reccomendations of Andy Cutler. 

No Cocao, coffee, beens, lentils, peas. These all make me feel like shit anyway. 

I currently can eat nuts, lettice, cucumber & rice. I will have to add some more stuf perhpaps. I just want my body & brain to feel normal. I really don't care what category of  food, just no fish, minimal meat & possibly none. & No thiols. 

If nothing works, I'll even try an organic carnivore diet. I have to find something that makes me functional

Edited by Striving for more

On 23/03/2021 at 6:35 AM, bracknelson123 said:

Quinoa is something people would call a “complete protein”. All whole plant foods carry all 9 essential amino acids, some just have lower amounts than others. 

I was eating this but realised it is "high thiol" so no quinoa. It doesn't make me feel good either. 

On 25/03/2021 at 6:38 PM, Striving for more said:

What about all the 12 essential amino acids from animal meat?

I didn't think lentils contained all them

I wouldn't worry about that. It is true that not all plant foods contain all 9 EAAs but I assume you won't eat ONLY legumes. If you combined them with tofu, vegetables, grains, nuts et you're getting the whole cocktail of all AA + your body can transaminate most amino acids (except the EAAs ofcourse) so protein combining is nothing to worry about as long as you get your caloric requirements met. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Wheat is a dirty word these days, but people need to realize it's a decent source of vegan protein. Whole wheat bread has nearly 3x the amount of protein vs. peas per weight and is much easier to digest - for people without wheat issues. 

I realize there are celiacs who can't eat any wheat, and others who seem to have inflammatory conditions triggered by wheat, but for the rest of us, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater - wheat is an extremely nutritious food source.

Some quick numbers for comparison, protein per 100g:

• Whole wheat bread: 13g
  • Rice (brown or white): 2.7g
  • Corn tortillas: 6g
  • Potatoes: 3g
  • Cooked black beans: 9g
  • Tofu: 8g
  • Lentils: 9g
  • Green Peas: 5g

Some other foods that are high in protein, but harder to eat a lot of:

• Hemp seeds: 33g
  • Peanut butter: 25g
  • Almonds: 21g
  • Chia: 17g
  • Tempeh: 19g

PB sandwiches FTW!

How to get to infinity? Divide by zero.

No rice is not wheat, rice is rice. Both wheat and rice are grains, and bread is usually made from wheat (sometimes with a bit of other grains). @Striving for more

@outlandish this! I eat a decent amount of wheat bread with 12% sourdough (I'm not sure if this is very little but the bread seems just more healthy than others) and I love it!

I for example can't eat much pasta or rice and I will get sick. Good quality Bread however I can eat a lot more and feel just fine.

On 4/1/2021 at 6:19 PM, Javfly33 said:

@outlandish this! I eat a decent amount of wheat bread with 12% sourdough (I'm not sure if this is very little but the bread seems just more healthy than others) and I love it!

I for example can't eat much pasta or rice and I will get sick. Good quality Bread however I can eat a lot more and feel just fine.

I think there's a big difference between factory bread that uses really fast yeasts to pump out the loaves, vs the ones that use slower fermentation, like sourdough. I feel a lot better when I eat those good quality breads too. We just eat homemade sourdough here. I don't know too much about why those breads are so much better, but I've noticed the same thing.

I think a lot of the bad rap that wheat gets might actually be the processes that industrialized food production uses, rather than the grain itself.