Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Khr

How bad is zopiclone?

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Hi All,

A few years ago, when I was studying for an exam and couldn't sleep, my doctor prescribed me zopiclone (a sedative) so that I could at least sleep the night before the exam. Eventually, I started taking zopiclone a bit more frequently, about once a month when I can't fall asleep or to re-set my schedule. Based on some online research that I did, zopiclone has a lot of side of effects, such as addiction. Is it really that dangerous, should I throw them out completely? Or is it ok to use it once a month to re-set my sleeping schedule? Is it what has been screwing up my sleeping schedule and causing me more anxieties to begin with? 

Edited by Khr

Z drugs are very benzo-like and thus come with the risk of dependence. And they don't promote natural, restful sleep. It can produce rebound anxiety during the next day. I wouldn't take it. Melatonin can help you to transition to sleeping without them, but even that probably shouldn't be taken chronically.

8 hours ago, Khr said:

Is it what has been screwing up my sleeping schedule and causing me more anxieties to begin with? 

might be, it works on the level of a neurotransmitter called GABA which basically induces a relaxed and grounded feeling. It docks into GABA receptors and manipulates the cell to think that the actual neurotransmitter has docked in. The downside is that this can affect your own natural balance (e..g the body thinks " I seem to have too much GABA being used, let me downregulate it" and so once you come of that stuff all of a sudden you don't have sufficient amount of your own GABA being produced and the nervous system gets easily hypersensitive without having the "hand brake" available -> anxiety comes up at the first occurrence of the stressful event, this is very common in people who have been on benzodiazepines for years the body literally shuts down its own production of these chemicals and at the first occurrence of stressful even they literally have no coping mechanisms left)

Probably best to resolve the root cause of insomnia/anxiety rather than manipulation the brain chemistry with pharmaceuticals. That being said, getting sedated is still preferable to not sleeping at all as a consequence of that can be pretty bad.

Try some natural herbal remedies, stay away from caffeinated drinks and stimulants, careful with sugar consumption before sleep. If stress is the cause experiment with some relaxation techniques or consider finding an expert on mindfulness based cognitive behavioural therapy if you believe this is being driven from a deeper subconscious level. 

have a read through here https://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/product/5894/smpc#UNDESIRABLE_EFFECTS

MY WEBSITE  I help young ambitious men who struggle with chronic health problems to awaken their mind & body, to get well and to get aligned with their passion. DM me if you'd like to chat about how I can help you. 

MEN'S HEALTH GROUPCome join us to learn cool new things about health, nutrition and wellbeing.

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Michael569 said:

this is very common in people who have been on benzodiazepines for years the body literally shuts down its own production of these chemicals and at the first occurrence of stressful even they literally have no coping mechanisms left

Thanks so much for this response!

I think it was first prescribed to me about 4 years ago, since then, I probably went through (I hope) at most 50 pills. Is there a way to reverse this damage? 

Edited by Khr

From personal experience, it just ain't worth it. It really isn't. Made me very depressed. Sensoril ashwagandha is what you want for a good night's sleep. I take mine from Nootropics Depot, and whilst obviously not as effective at knocking you out, the quality of sleep will be far superior. 

7 hours ago, Khr said:

I think it was first prescribed to me about 4 years ago, since then, I probably went through (I hope) at most 50 pills. Is there a way to reverse this damage? 

Try to work on the underlying root cause so you won't need them again. Guess that's the best advice I really have for you. 

MY WEBSITE  I help young ambitious men who struggle with chronic health problems to awaken their mind & body, to get well and to get aligned with their passion. DM me if you'd like to chat about how I can help you. 

MEN'S HEALTH GROUPCome join us to learn cool new things about health, nutrition and wellbeing.

11 hours ago, Ry4n said:

From personal experience, it just ain't worth it. It really isn't. Made me very depressed. Sensoril ashwagandha is what you want for a good night's sleep. I take mine from Nootropics Depot, and whilst obviously not as effective at knocking you out, the quality of sleep will be far superior. 

Hey, how long did you take it for/how many pills approximately before it made you depressed? 

Yes, I bought ashwagandha a few days ago, still haven’t tried it though. I usually take valerian or lemon balm drops if I can’t sleep, but I think my body is used to them already...

13 hours ago, Khr said:

Hey, how long did you take it for/how many pills approximately before it made you depressed? 

Yes, I bought ashwagandha a few days ago, still haven’t tried it though. I usually take valerian or lemon balm drops if I can’t sleep, but I think my body is used to them already...

yea valerian wasn't noticeable for me at all and I took heaps. I wasn't taking Zopiclone for long and granted I was heading that direction anyway a few years back but that drug just catapulted me into it so fast and it can also cause a ton of amnesia and rebound insomnia above all else. It's somewhat of a cruel joke that a lot of drugs have where whatever it treats is ultimately going to make the issue even worse, and sleeping pills are one of the worst culprits for this. Even weed is a much better choice but ultimately not a long term solution either. 

I have to stress the type of ashwagandha does make a real difference. For example KSM 66 will give you energy in most cases whilst Sensoril does the opposite, and outside that I've tried other brands and it was total shit. https://nootropicsdepot.com/sensoril-optimized-ashwagandha-extract-125mg-capsules-withania-somnifera-root-and-leaf-extract-10-withanolides/  Is what I take. 

Outside that there's basic sleep hygiene you can look into, getting out of bed it you aren't tired instead of tossing and turning, having a regular sleep schedule, wearing blue light blocking glasses, avoiding stimulants and doing a FUCK ton of working out and meditation to boot, and possibly addressing some anxiety issues that may be causing this (even if one is not willing to admit this like myself a few years back). And expanding on the meditation part I mentioned it really makes a difference when you get genuinely good at letting go of control and radically accepting everything; trying to go to sleep is only gonna make things worse. You cannot put effort into going to sleep since effort is only gonna cause more stress, your body decides when it sleeps, not you. 

Hope this helps.