preventingdiabetes

Raising Consciousness = Shedding Ego?

7 posts in this topic

Is raising our consciousness basically the process of shedding our ego?

So when we are developing ourselves up the Spiral Dynamics stages for example, we are basically shedding our ego. Because the higher the spiral stage, the less ego there is, making it easier to awaken? 

This is unbelievably complex. But I like the fact that Vedic philosophy, Kant's ideas and Vaknin's current philosophy called 'nothingness' all coincide together in terms of their core concepts. 

Of course, Leo has his own philosophy and it would be nice to see his answer on this. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

Raising consciousness = increasing effortless gratitude. The effortlessness, strength, steadiness, and scope of the gratitude we feel, alone, is the collection of factors most highly correlated to what we call high consciousness.

Edited by The0Self

Awakening is not about moving through stages; it is so much simpler than that. It is the direct realization that You are not your conditioned mind. You are not your habits, your compulsions, your eccentricities, your addictions, or your attachments. You are the endless screen, upon which these things project. Everything else is transient images. These images comprise the ego, and they continue trying to tell the story of You. In the moment of clarity, like intermission, the screen is clear. The ego scurries into the dark corners, waiting patiently for you to fall back asleep. And eventually, most likely, you will.

The secret is to learn to stay awake. It's like turning the light on in a dark theater. But why did we want to go to the theater in the first place? Maybe movies aren't so bad, as long as you realize they are only movies.

Just because God loves you doesn't mean it is going to shape the cosmos to suit you. God loves you so much that it will shape you to suit the cosmos.

Some say for reaching higher levels of being, for essence to grow it must feed on false personality/ego. This is done through witness consciousness or being the dispassionate observer and in a sense essence will feed and metabolize ego.. As this happens there is a gain in continuity of consciousness and a reduction in the swing of the emotional pendulum. A higher level of consciousness means a higher level or degree of being.

Applicable Maurice Nicoll excerpts from his psychological Commentaries-

DIFFERENT LEVELS OF BEING
“The Work is to make us live on a higher level of ourselves. For example, suppose you begin to internally consider. You start mak-
ing accounts, making out that others owe you, thinking that you are badly treated, worrying about what others think of you, and so on. This is an activity of a lower level in yourself...Now suppose you begin to dislike the inner taste of considering. Then when internal con- sidering starts in you and you notice it you will feel uncomfortable. Why? Because you have already begun to feel what a higher level
is like. You feel uncomfortable by reason of the contrast. You have seen something better. You are now in a position to make an inner choice...Better states belong to higher levels of yourself. They are in you, as different levels...But you have to see all this for yourself and get to know where you are in yourself. Ask yourself: ‘Where am I?’ With what thoughts and emotions are you going, with what moods, with what ‘I’s?” V. 1, p. 162

APPLYING THE WORK II
“If you want to change your level of Being you have got to see what your level of Being is—that is, what kind of a person you are over a period—or, more strictly, what kind of ‘I’s you allow to take charge of you at different moments, over a period, and remember what you ob- served. If any ‘I’ in you can jump up and speak through your mouth then your state of Being is mechanical and cannot change.”
V. 1, p. 168

Edited by Zigzag Idiot

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

Alignment with truth has three layers as far as my experience goes:

1. Realization: Increases by contemplation, open-mindedness, mystical experiences, etc...
  2. Awareness in the present moment/baseline levels of consciousness: Increases by meditation, minimalism, fasting, etc...
  3. Embodiment: Overall progress on the path.
Edited by Gesundheit

If you have no confidence in yourself, you are twice defeated in the race of life. But with confidence you have won, even before you start.” -- Marcus Garvey

Not exactly.

Sometimes, your ego can grow together with your so called 'consciousness' because you are not always aware.

No one can be aware all the time (unless you are supposedly enlightened?). 

Watching TV, playing games and even brushing your teeth or being on this forum can be an egoic behavior.

And if you say things like 'I already read this book: The Power of Now' or 'I already know this', that is an egoic behavior as well. So you may think you have raised your consciousness after reading the book, the fact is that you may be sinking deeper and becoming more egoic.

Edited by hyruga