Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DIVINATOR

Caught between two passions.

14 posts in this topic

Hi. I've been trying to find my life purpose now, by trying to complete the Life-Purpose Course (I haven't completed it fully, and am actually planning on redoing it completely). But am having trouble navigating between my two passions to turn into a career.

I'll tell you what they are. They are; Animation & languages.

I understand that the impact my work has on other people is an important factor in deciding one's life purpose. And I can see the equal impact of both these career choices. (if I find a way to make a career out of something with languages at least...)

So I'm having an immense difficulty deciding and really "feeling" what is THE right choice is for me. Can you help me shed some light on my issue?

What are your life circumstances? Are you still in high-school? 

Language-related careers could include translating (what I hear, doesn't usually pay so well on its own), simultaneous translation (a very different discipline, because you need to be very flexible), linguistics (with all the perils of trying to succeed in academia), diplomacy, international business relations, or simply using your language skills to work abroad or work for a foreign company.

I don't know about animation. You could off course try to pursue a career in movie-making. 

Or, you could go on studying languages, and keep animation as a hobby on the side. Who knows, maybe you'll create a second phd comics and get famous. Here's a locally successful linguistic comics too https://www.knihydobrovsky.cz/kniha/opraski-sceski-historje-596035 . 

Watch the video about making small bets. What's the next small project you'd like to take up? Draw something? Or something language related? 

Follow what option contains most excitement/joy/passion. Perhaps you are also assuming that you have to pick one or the other while you don't. If at the moment they don't combine well, or the combination doesn't elicit more excitement than picking one over the other, I would pick the one that contains most joy and follow that. If you find that that way is 'blocked', take the other.

Oh this video, I like it very much and is very much a reply to your question 

Could you explain what in animation and languages resonated with you?

With saying to make a career out of this, do you mean making it something personalized? (something where you choose what to studie rather to go to college)

I'am figuring out what resonates with me too. 

Edited by Human Mint

11 hours ago, Danioover9000 said:

@Danioover9000 Could you explain what in animation and languages resonated with you?

Well I'd say that with languages it is the notion of understanding the etymological and historical implications of the different loan words and linguistical developments of languages. (I am particualarly interested in latin, ancient greek and sanskrit)

With animation it is the fact that you can bring life to a drawing and character and tell a moving story, that perhaps could teach people a little something about life ;)

15 hours ago, Waken said:

@Waken Oh this video, I like it very much and is very much a reply to your question 

Thank you so much for showing me that video! It REALLY cleared up a lot of things for me! :D

16 hours ago, Elisabeth said:

@Elisabeth  What are your life circumstances? Are you still in high-school? 

Well... I actually quit a high school I went to because I have some issues with concentration - I live in a Scandinavian country so I can still be somewhat supported by my government whilst being home and figuring things out for me. :)

2 hours ago, DIVINATOR said:

Thank you so much for showing me that video! It REALLY cleared up a lot of things for me! :D

Thank you for your feedback, and you're very welcome:-)

2 hours ago, DIVINATOR said:

Well... I actually quit a high school I went to because I have some issues with concentration

Couldn't resist sneaking in a comment on this reply. How I see it, is that I doubt you have a problem with concentration, because how is your concentration when you're doing your passion? I suspect you just didn't give a damn about what they tried to teach you, which I think is very fine.

15 hours ago, DIVINATOR said:

Well... I actually quit a high school I went to because I have some issues with concentration - I live in a Scandinavian country so I can still be somewhat supported by my government whilst being home and figuring things out for me. :)

O.oo.O:/ Do you intend to finish your high school later? 

Whilst I can understand a university degree being optional, closing the door on that... when you have no idea... seems too soon. 

Go sort out your concentration issues, choose a high school and finish that!

I say that, because unless it's some kind of sudden mental-health emergency (and even if it is), I don't believe quitting school is gonna help you improve concentration. It's actually sitting through your lectures and doing your best to be attentive, that helps you, providing the necessary practice. Being idle, sitting at home with your computer and wasting your time will make you sink deeper and deeper into your hole, whatever it is. 

Sorry for seeming a bit judgy, take it as an opinion from someone who's had 'concetration issues' throughout all of her university and phd studies... My concentration was always best in periods when I had the most schoolwork to do (measured by go-boardgame tournaments success ;) ). And trust me, it was a hell of a lot easier when my time was structured by lectures. My phd required more self-motivation, and now I have to give up science, cause I was to unconcentrated/lazy to hit the bar. 

But whatever. If you can sit through 5 hours of practice in annimation and drawing techniques a day, or learn a language with similar intensity, go for that. If you can't? Please do yourself a favor, stop fooling yourself and go back to school. 

Edited by Elisabeth

On 18.3.2021 at 0:48 AM, Elisabeth said:

I don't believe quitting school is gonna help you improve concentration.

Hmm... I see what you mean. But what is the meaning sitting through boring lectures, that I don't personally care about?

Then I'd honestly rather find my own path. Plus everything I need to know I feel like I can basically learn through the internet and on my own pace which I personally like a lot more. I respect the school system, but it's not for me at the moment.

I also generally trust that I will find some way in life. :)

@DIVINATOR  So trying to pick any pre-defined language related career that many others are doing too, you're severely limiting your impact.

Even with a passion for animation, you're not going to be fulfilled just 'animating' stuff for other people, as a freelancer or in a job.

If you carve out a creative niche where you can be unique, you can provide massive value. Use language and animation to achieve...something. Some greater impact. 

You know a couple of your interests, don't confuse those for purpose.

What impact do you want to have?

Focus on that.

Your language and animation skills will come in handy at some point naturally. Don't worry about that for now.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

@DIVINATOR It's counter intuitive. Don't expect life to just be you always learning what you want. Be disciplined. 

"Unburdened and Becoming" - Bon Iver

◭"89"

1 hour ago, Bestia said:

Is it possible to combine two these activities?

No, both are different fields. One can't do both at the same time.

19 hours ago, flowboy said:

@flowboy What impact do you want to have?

How am I supposed to find that?

50 minutes ago, DIVINATOR said:

How am I supposed to find that?

Dig deep.

Go on a vision quest by yourself and fast for 3 days.

Do more of what inspires you.

Do a mescaline ceremony, or ayahuasca.

A meditation retreat.

Finish the life purpose course.

Contemplate.

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/