twoosees

Free Education and Impact on the collective(South Africa)

8 posts in this topic

Hey there. So I felt agitated for the past day about what is happening in my country. We are having another one of the protests on free education because of the historical debt students have accumulated from the covid epidemic. but it is really not something knew that we have been fighting for some time now. 

I have been somewhat affected by it as I could not get myself to pay the thousands of our currency to go back and get my academic record. it is now my 2nd year out of varsity. I had felt somewhat guilty for the cost of schooling and how much time I wasted on the opportunity in some instances. I was enrolled for commerce then got into fine arts..

My agitation is with the school system be a saving grace, the way we see it in our country now is like such a scarce resource, especially for the research universities. I fell into the trap of wanting to go to these uni's , having been against it for sometime in my teens. I lost some of independent thinking and joined the herd. (didn't now better at the time)

Questions in my mind arose as i thought about free education and its impact

on how lecturers would get paid? is it alright to be reliable on the government to secure everything

is it even right to be entitled to a free education regardless of your circumstance in life?

we are in somewhat of a system that is quite orange, blue and green on the spiral dynamics level, being heavily influenced by western culture. historically and currently still

the pyramid scheme-like system of higher education is such that a minority of the minority that got accepted into that system survive? To me on the surface level that seems futile... But then again. I guess you need the cream of the crop to prevail

How is possible that other countries are able to make it work if it's been done before? what has been the impact of it? I would imagine it being somewhat economical but have to research further.

I like to get to read the experiences and viewpoints on the matter from forum members

To be honest, I learned way more on Youtube than I ever did at university. I have a feeling universities could be a dying breed. And a big waste of money. Of course there are exceptions. 

1 hour ago, Wilhelm44 said:

To be honest, I learned way more on Youtube than I ever did at university. I have a feeling universities could be a dying breed. And a big waste of money. Of course there are exceptions. 

I have had that inclination/ feeling too. although at times it has more responsibility to hold accountable for critical thinking more than uni would. What i run into is my own sense of understanding and its not always that accurate as I'd like to imagine it would be. so I have to work hard to teach myself

Yes, it's a process, and I feel that what one learns at Actualized.org is way more valuable in terms of critical thinking etc.  What exactly is bothering you about universities ?

@Wilhelm44 The cost and its culture have negatively affected me because it is not for everyone, especially the ivy league type. I was not focused that much, and the guilt of eating up my parents money on some informations and skills i can learn for myself finally reached a tipping point.

They are too glorified, especially here in SA. When only a number of the people get what they want out of it. 

@twoosees Looks like we aren't that far away mate. It's nice to see actualizers from this continent.

@Raphael Glad to know that haha. its a little bit different on the bottom end of the world. Fortunate that we get to tap into forums nowadays. wouldnt have been possible some 30 years ago

Yes twoosees, people, including myself, were very much brainwashed into believing that one needed a degree to live a good life. So it's very much a process of unlearning, and seeing that all we really need is to be ourselves fully, without any reference to what others believe is possible in life.