Husseinisdoingfine

My philosophy class is useless

46 posts in this topic

@ajai Thanks!

Kind of a shame that people get turned off from philosophy because of the dumbed down way it gets Introduced to them in Intro level courses, or because of the excessive focus that dry, analytic philosophy receives in more advanced courses.

I would argue that both have more to do with the structure of Academic Institutions, rather than it does with philosophy as a subject.

Because philosophy is a rich and interesting field of study with thousands of years of history, and one that overlaps with both Science and Spirituality.

Having a decent understanding of philosophy will let you see how the DNA of Hegel's Dialectic is inherent in models like Spiral Dynamics.

Some of the best refutations of Materialist Reductionism come from the field of Philosophy, and from people like Thomas Nagel.

Moral Philosophers like Peter Singer have reframed the way that many, many people think of things like Altruism and Animal Welfare.

"The mind is inherently embodied.
Thought is mostly unconscious.
Abstract concepts are largely metaphorical." - George Lakoff

Seeing how shit most philosophy is a "My disappointment is immeasurable, my day is ruined" moment, for real.

I took a look online at people discussing philosophy, it's just autistically talking about details which don't matter. And they introduce concepts and words which you can vaguely comprehend, but why? 1) It obfuscates your aim 2) People spend all their brain power and time on defining and arguing some useless word instead of actually using it for something ! 

Literally drives me crazy if I have to read or talk in that gibberish. I just want to slap them all awake. But it is what it is I guess. Guess there are a million different ways to do this "philosophy" as with just about anything. 

Hark ye yet again — the little lower layer. All visible objects, man, are but as pasteboard masks. But in each event — in the living act, the undoubted deed — there, some unknown but still reasoning thing puts forth the mouldings of its features from behind the unreasoning mask. If man will strike, strike through the mask! How can the prisoner reach outside except by thrusting through the wall? To me, the white whale is that wall, shoved near to me. Sometimes I think there's naught beyond. But 'tis enough

On 18/03/2021 at 5:52 PM, DocWatts said:

Having a decent understanding of philosophy will let you see how the DNA of Hegel's Dialectic is inherent in models like Spiral Dynamics.

Yepp indeed.

On 18/03/2021 at 5:52 PM, DocWatts said:

because of the excessive focus that dry, analytic philosophy receives in more advanced courses.

More so, many beginners mistaken this as some discipline that deals with just theory, literature or just some other worldly mumbo-jumbo let alone something too similar to the History where you are just reading works of previous thinkers or philosophers of antiquity.

Rather, Philosophy is a way of life, a life-style, a discipline that if you practice enouff and refine it, can give you a lot of clarity in variety of subject-matters and all facets of life, it helps and removes the veil from the many boxes (illusory) that are merely possessed by the spells of ignorance, it's like the counter spell a wizard/witch might carry to everything that leads to vagueness, illusion and foggy object of thought.

Posted (edited)

On 18.3.2021 at 7:01 PM, lmfao said:

And they introduce concepts and words which you can vaguely comprehend

Jargony abstractions can be useful if used in a purposeful manner. It increases information flow; makes thoughts and conversations more efficient.

Edited by Carl-Richard

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.

On 18.3.2021 at 1:22 PM, DocWatts said:

I just read a bit of Hegel, and now SD to me looks like a combination of the historical philosophy of Hegel and the developmental psychology of Piaget ?

To balance beauty and complexity so perfectly is a divine mystery.