Raphael

How To Move Someone From Stage Orange To Stage Green?

5 posts in this topic

Something just happened to me. I was having a conversation with a client and I told him that I worked much more than expected this month, he responded that it wasn't the case. What basically happened is miscommunication and I ended up doing much more than I was supposed to do. He told me that it wasn't his fault and that I was responsible for everything. I personally think that it was both of us as a miscommunication can only happen between at least two people.

So... he wants me to take full responsibility for this and pays for everything. I think that we should compensate a minimum for each other, and both of us take charge, so... I should get pay but not as much as normal.

He seems very stage orange.

What do you think?

P-S: I'm not sure if I'm trying to manipulate the situation here, maybe I'm trying?

Edited by Raphael

How To Move Someone From Stage Orange To Stage Green?

Are you trolling?

If serious: You can't

It's unlikely you are going to get this person to feel empathy toward you. Helping them evolve would be a waste of your time. I would be very careful with doing business dealings. If I had any knowledge on spiral dynamics earlier I would have saved myself a good bit of money. You want to asses someone's development that you plan to deal with ahead of time. That is not to say that you cannot deal well with others in other stages. However, Red and orange are going to be a lot more prone to tricking you out of your money. 

Also, depending on what you are doing a contract between both of you would make it a lot easier. Depends how much money is involved, but if you need to work with them again I would go to a lawyer first. Even then I would just avoid working with them. It sounds like you got taken for a ride. 

@Average Investor

There's not a huge amount of money involved, so I don't see a need for a lawyer. It was some work for 100$ and now I consider that I should charge at least 200$, but it's complicated because we had a miscommunication.

He himself told me that when he do a mistake doing his job, he takes responsibility for it and finish it no matter what even if it hurts him. He don't want to ask for more to the client, however I don't know how he would act if he had a miscommunication with a client that caused him to do more work than necessary.

He currently see me as being dishonest and trying to trick him in order to get paid more.

Edited by Raphael