Revolutionary Think

Tony Robbins got a lot of problems

52 posts in this topic

Wow, thanks for sharing.

These interventions are pathetic. He assumes that he knows everything. Huge ego.

one day this will all be memories

On 3/13/2021 at 5:30 PM, Preety_India said:

But my question, which self help guru is perfect? 

I think this is exactly right.  By being a public guru, it's because you want acknowledgement or you want to use a platform to do something, and that involves some kind of ego craving so they can't be pure.

I was following Sadhguru on Twitter for a bit because people seems to speak so highly of him and I wanted to better understand what he was about.  Even he has sexist beliefs about how men/women should be and he's emotionally attached to his temples and leadership position.  These 'flaws' drive him to place himself in the limelight but he still may have some useful things to offer.

I want to find a pure mystic, saint, sage etc at some point in my upcoming travels.  I'll have to do some research (if that's even possible) to see where I can find these people that aren't public figures.

On 3/16/2021 at 8:51 AM, Preety_India said:

This is the video where he consoles a suicidal man and literally drags him out of his misery  right in front of the public. This takes massive courage. 

All I can say he got the balls to do what motivational 

His eye contact alone can cure you. 

I am not terribly familiar with him and I haven't seen his criticisms but this reminds me of like a southern megachurch pastor.  If you see him in that way and less of a guru it makes much me less uncomfortable with this video.  I'm not sure if he temporarily revived this guy or it had long lasting effects.  Perhaps it gave him a little bit of hope, which is what Trump offers to many people.

My feeling is that he helps a bunch of people but then there are people like this guy that prob temporarily snap out of it and go back to being depressed.  IDK though.

On 3/13/2021 at 4:30 PM, Preety_India said:

I'm aware he got some questionable views and some narcissistic tendencies as well

On 3/13/2021 at 4:32 PM, Revolutionary Think said:

Ya but, we're talking about blatant sexual assault and gas lighting. It's one thing to not clean your room or forget to tip your waiter and a whole other thing to gas light people and use power imbalances against them. 

On 3/14/2021 at 3:18 PM, Rilles said:

Wow! Second half of video... Hes so abusive! Yuck! I will never look at Tony Robbins the same again. 

On 3/16/2021 at 3:38 AM, Rilles said:

He literally gaslights women and calls them wh*res and b*tches, stop excusing his behaviour, jeez. 

On 3/16/2021 at 7:27 AM, Leo Gura said:

To be fair, he also does it to men.

On 3/16/2021 at 7:51 AM, Preety_India said:

Tony Robbins is extremely manipulative but he uses his manipulative skills for good reasons. This is seen in this video where he uses insults

On 3/16/2021 at 7:57 AM, Rilles said:

Look, Im glad youre not suicidal anymore, and Im sure he can be helpful sometimes but if you cant see how toxic it is I cant help you. He literally told a woman to go back to her serial cheater because "Italian men sleep around, deep inside he loves you!" Thats gaslighting 101 and its sad. 

On 3/16/2021 at 8:04 AM, Preety_India said:

He is an old guy with an old mindset just like some racists have. 

But that's okay. Nobody should have to lose their career unless they committed a horrible crime. 

On 3/16/2021 at 10:52 AM, Rilles said:

Yes, and we should hold them accountable where they go astray, we want people to be as conscious as they can be am I right? ;)

On 3/16/2021 at 10:59 AM, Revolutionary Think said:

Exactly this is what disgusts me so much about a culture that's all based on views, subscribers, and clout. Accountability flies out the window. 

On 3/13/2021 at 4:36 PM, Preety_India said:

He is not perfect. That's all.. He got flaws. 

Even narcissists aren't 100% evil (though some are pretty close ;) ) But I would never say about a man accused of sexual assault, "He got flaws," or that it's "okay" his sexism is a bad as some racism or other excuses for inexcusable behavior. Rape is a crime and should be treated as such. Sexism and insults are not "okay" even though he might have good intentions behind his words.

I'm not saying we should cancel Tony Robbins, but let's not give him a free pass, either.  

42 minutes ago, Preety_India said:

@Nobody_Here allegations against aren't proved. 

But were they properly investigated? I'm not being rhetorical, I really want to know. From what I saw online, they were just denied and swept under the rug. 

19 hours ago, Nobody_Here said:

Even narcissists aren't 100% evil (though some are pretty close ;) ) But I would never say about a man accused of sexual assault, "He got flaws," or that it's "okay" his sexism is a bad as some racism or other excuses for inexcusable behavior. Rape is a crime and should be treated as such. Sexism and insults are not "okay" even though he might have good intentions behind his words.

I'm not saying we should cancel Tony Robbins, but let's not give him a free pass, either.  

I don't know if this is weird, but I don't want to judge him as it takes too much emotional energy.  There are people who do good things in this world and there are people who do bad things.  I don't want to judge anybody unless I absolutely have to.  I don't have to lionize him as a person, to appreciate some of the work that he's done (if it's any good) or take sides on an issue I'm not interested in researching.  From a practical/political standpoint, it's prob smart to keep quiet about a controversial person until the controversy is somehow resolved.

Does this sound weird?  I've very recently been aggressively shedding my desire to want to judge people and hold political or social opinions, unless it directly impacts me.  It's not that I want people to harm others or be toxic, I just want to stay out of it for my own well being.

I just watched the video again and I feel that he's not being authentic which makes him feel a bit creepy to me.  I guess I care abt finding authentic ppl now.

Edited by Topspin715

12 hours ago, Topspin715 said:

I don't know if this is weird, but I don't want to judge him as it takes too much emotional energy.  There are people who do good things in this world and there are people who do bad things.  I don't want to judge anybody unless I absolutely have to.  I don't have to lionize him as a person, to appreciate some of the work that he's done (if it's any good) or take sides on an issue I'm not interested in researching.  From a practical/political standpoint, it's prob smart to keep quiet about a controversial person until the controversy is somehow resolved.

Does this sound weird?  I've very recently been aggressively shedding my desire to want to judge people and hold political or social opinions, unless it directly impacts me.  It's not that I want people to harm others or be toxic, I just want to stay out of it for my own well being.

I just watched the video again and I feel that he's not being authentic which makes him feel a bit creepy to me.  I guess I care abt finding authentic ppl now.

I didn't say he was guilty or making a judgment, only that the sexual assault accusations should be investigated. I would say that about anyone. If it turns out they were unsubstantiated, that's one thing. If it turns out they're true, he should be punished accordingly. 

What I am doing is the opposite of judging. I am keeping an open mind about whether he is guilty or not. People who say he is innocent only because they got a personal benefit from his work are being closed-minded. 

Tony Robbins is basically the Old Testament God.  There's no such thing as a perfect guru - only different kinds who cater to different people, with different needs.  If many people respond positively to simply being told to buck up by a man with a giant skull and a deep voice, then the universe necessitates the existence of a popular guru who exhibits such qualities - that's Tony Robbins.  Of course, the existence of such a guru also necessitates the existence of people calling out his unjust methods.  It's all just part of a perfect unified system.

"Be happy and make something of yourself... or I'll find you and kick your ass.  Got it?  Good."

8d7fs7fs8.jpg

Edited by kinesin