Snader

Shopping for a Frying Pan

77 posts in this topic

Greenpan seemed to have put a lot of effort into making their products non-toxic and they have now fixed their super sticky pans they once used to make. Might be worth checking out. 

Link

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

I have a glass frying pan I got that's from the 70's. "Visions" glassware or something like that. You can often find them at Goodwill, Salvation army or eBay. They used to make them out of the real pyrex glass, now most all the baking dishes you get are run of the mill glass and break a lot easier. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

4 minutes ago, Michael569 said:

Greenpan seemed to have put a lot of effort into making their products non-toxic and they have now fixed their super sticky pans they once used to make. Might be worth checking out. 

Link

Good to know. It's really hard to cook eggs everyday in anything but a nonstick pan. 

My Youtube Channel- Light on Earth “We dance round in a ring and suppose, but the Secret sits in the middle and knows.”― Robert Frost

Just now, mandyjw said:

It's really hard to cook eggs everyday in anything but a nonstick pan. 

you gotta boil em Mandy :D 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

Just now, Michael569 said:

you gotta boil em Mandy :D 

xD I'm imaging the reactions I'd get if I served my kids egg and cheese sandwiches with boiled eggs instead of fried. Might be kinda fun to do on April Fools day though... 

4 minutes ago, mandyjw said:

I'm imaging the reactions I'd get if I served my kids egg and cheese sandwiches with boiled eggs instead of fried

fair enough, let's not push it too far :)

2 hours ago, Michael569 said:

Link

Ceramic coated pans are garbage. They all chip into your food. You should not buy any pan which is coated in anything because all the coating soon flake off.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

2 hours ago, mandyjw said:

Good to know. It's really hard to cook eggs everyday in anything but a nonstick pan. 

It's easy if you heat the pan well:

I always use steel milk pans for making tea every morning. Hehe. 

I bought a super expensive steel stock pot. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Also steel pots and pans tend to yellow over time. Not sure what that implies.

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Ceramic coated pans are garbage. They all chip into your food. You should not buy any pan which is coated in anything because all the coating soon flake off.

Maybe..... I'd love to see someone look into this. Follow a cohort of 100 people who use different pans and see their urinary and tissue levels (confirmed by biopsy) of different heavy metals change after a year. Otherwise, we're all just fearmongering and many of these arguments are based on thin air. I also like to believe that certain companies do adhere to certain corporate social responsibility and not all arguments and claims are BS.....but maybe I'm kidding myself 

2 hours ago, Preety_India said:

I always use steel milk pans for making tea every morning. Hehe. 

I bought a super expensive steel stock pot. 

@Preety_India Lol! Do you brew tea in a pan? 

I was checking stainless pans today. Meh, so hard to spot the one with 100% steel. Most of them have some kind of a mix of steel + stuff like aliminium/nickel/etc

Edited by Hello from Russia

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

@Preety_India Lol! Do you brew tea in a pan? 

A saucepan

1 hour ago, Hello from Russia said:

I was checking stainless pans today. Meh, so hard to spot the one with 100% steel. Most of them have some kind of a mix of steel + stuff like aliminium/nickel/etc

You sure it's the surface? Most of them have aluminium layers below to make the heat spread evenly, but I've kinda assumed that there is no reason to mix the steel with other metals, especially if the pan is even slightly more pricey.

The problem with stainless steel plate is that you have to use much more very high calorie-dense oil which is also going to affect your health long term

Tradeoffs 

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

1 hour ago, Snader said:

You sure it's the surface? Most of them have aluminium layers below to make the heat spread evenly, but I've kinda assumed that there is no reason to mix the steel with other metals, especially if the pan is even slightly more pricey.

@Snader yeah, this is exactly what I was seeing. Do you have any idea if this is dangerous or not? 

What about the utensils use for cooking?

I'm glad someone posted this today. I was with my parents for 3 months and my mom has mostly stainless steel cooking ware. Now that I am back at my apartment, my cooking wares are plastic utensils and a scratch-off non stick pan.. That explains the weird feeling that I have over the past few days. I may need to shop a new wares asap.

@Recress Change all your plastic for steel/wood.