Snader

Shopping for a Frying Pan

77 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, blankisomeone said:

Omg really??? holy shit

I heard it from a parrot owner/breeder. Not sure if it's true. His point was to never roast nuts for birds using Teflon pans. When I heard that, I realized I should stop using Teflon for myself too.

1 hour ago, Droo_ said:

That’s a good point, maybe it is poisonous. But if you give a dog chocolate they can die to so I’ve heard. Most humans can eat chocolate just fine, just as long as it’s dark chocolate. With other types of chocolate I suppose it is “poison”.

Yeah, but Teflon is not some natural food product like sugar or chocolate. It is a chemical and if you research that specific chemical you will find that it is not some harmless thing to living organisms. Research that whole class of chemicals. It ain't good for ya.

That Teflon also always scratches off over time and those flakes end up in your food. That can't be healthy. You are literally eating Teflon flakes like lead paint chips.

Do you feel any different after not using Teflon pans or are you just playing it safe?

Impossible to say because there are so many other variables at play with my health.

It's not going to be something you feel immediately. Rather it might mean that 20 years from now you don't get cancer which you otherwise would have if you kept eating Teflon.

It's just an unnecessary risk to take. You can easily use stainless steel pans for 95% of your cooking needs. The biggest problem with steel pans is that they suck for pancakes, crepes, and that sort of thing. But I don't eat those anyway. There may be ways to make those in the oven instead on parchment paper or silicone. There are many healthier methods of cooking than a frying pan which you should research, invest in, learn, and master.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

I am gonna say it again if anyone has sticking issues with stainless-steel, cast-iron it is because of the coating. It should definitely not be necessary to soak it in water for multiple hours to clean it.

1. Take steel wool and dish cleaner and remove all of the current coating and let it dry.

2. Take a paper towel and add a light film of sunflower or similar oil to the whole pan. 

3. Put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.

4. Take it out & let it cool.

5. Repeat step 2-4 at least 3 times.

The coating is literally baked into the iron that way, the pan will only get better from this point on.

Edited by Phyllis Wagner

3 hours ago, Phyllis Wagner said:

3. Put it in the oven for 20-30 minutes.

4. Take it out & let it cool.

5. Repeat step 2-4 at least 3 times.

No one's got time for that shit.

@Phyllis Wagner you just got yourself a big money idea. Scale the business of un-sticking peoples pans (?)

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

For me it's an easy choice, just think about how many unknown variables you are introducing to your body system. Even though we have no evidence that Teflon is toxic to humans in the amounts it used in pans, it is still good to follow the principle of reducing unknown variables, just like with inorganic/organic food. 

"Only that which can change can continue."

-James P. Carse

1 hour ago, Leo Gura said:

No one's got time for that shit.

Not sure if this is a joke, but you just do this once, not every time you use it obviously. 

@Phyllis Wagner The official procedure is to do it after every meal you cook.

14 hours ago, Droo_ said:

That’s a good point, maybe it is poisonous. But if you give a dog chocolate they can die to so I’ve heard. Most humans can eat chocolate just fine, just as long as it’s dark chocolate. With other types of chocolate I suppose it is “poison”. Do you feel any different after not using Teflon pans or are you just playing it safe?

There is a movie called Dark Waters which is a true story that is still unfolding about teflon. After I watched it I got rid of all teflon pans.

Its a story about corporate greed and devilry but also one about bravery and selflessness. A true story I enjoyed it.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt9071322/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Edited by voxun

2 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

@Phyllis Wagner The official procedure is to do it after every meal you cook.

Definitely not. What you do after every meal is wash it gently with water, dry it and then apply a tiny bit of oil with a paper towel - takes me less than 1 minute. And you may can even skip this with Stainless steel because I know it is done to protect against rust with cast-iron.

9 minutes ago, Phyllis Wagner said:

Definitely not. What you do after every meal is wash it gently with water, dry it and then apply a tiny bit of oil with a paper towel - takes me less than 1 minute. And you may can even skip this with Stainless steel because I know it is done to protect against rust with cast-iron.

That already sounds like a huge hastle vs ordinary pan

I'd say it isn't worth to go for cast iron unless you live in unstable region and you need it for self-defense. But then again, stainless cookware is only slightly less heavy. Which is good, because it might actually save you from legal consequences if you hit too hard

@Hello from Russia Taking one minute to clean a pan sounds like a huge hassle to you? I find it quite nice, slows you down, you can use it as a mindfulness exercise. 

@Phyllis Wagner

3 hours ago, Phyllis Wagner said:

@Hello from Russia Taking one minute to clean a pan sounds like a huge hassle to you? I find it quite nice, slows you down, you can use it as a mindfulness exercise. 

Another mindfulness practice in my bag.^_^

Teflon is bad but burned food is bad too. I use my cast-iron only for steak. Other foods just burn because they stick on the pan.

It is true that cheap and old teflon peals off but I think the real and expensive teflon are good, if you don't overuse them and throw them away when they get old.

In Tate we trust

I CAN Not NEVER use a cast iron pan. 

Cuz. 

Too much time and boring work. Na!! 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

A lot of stuff you fry on a pan can simply be baked or steamed, which is much healthier and even less work. If you use foil, you don't even need to clean  anything.

Charring food is not so healthy.

Cast iron skillets are awesome. You need to season them before use and do it occasionally again (not after every meal) but they are amazing and really fun way of cooking. Can put them in the oven too. 

9 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

You don't have to be so pedantic about it. Just clean it with a sponge, dry it with a towel and apply the oil.

6 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

A lot of stuff you fry on a pan can simply be baked or steamed, which is much healthier and even less work. If you use foil, you don't even need to clean  anything.

Charring food is not so healthy.

Aren't you worried about leaching of aluminum from foil into food at high temperatures, in  the presence of acidic/spicy foods, salt etc.? Or do you count on resources that claim that either oxide layer on the foil is strong enough so that no aluminum leaches into food, or that the amount is small enough that body can detox it?