Snader

Shopping for a Frying Pan

77 posts in this topic

I wouldn't want to invest my time into doing research on this as I think the answer is probably quick and simple and my fellow health valuing spirits here might have the solution in their back pockets. 

So I should buy a new frying pan asap and I want to buy a proper one because It will come to daily use.

I haven't done any research about the topic and I don't know if my concerns are valid anymore today, but I remember watching a video maybe like 2 years ago (I think it was a video Leo posted on his blog, not sure though) where a doctor talked really seriously about a new finding that revealed that most of the cheap pans in the market has a coating that is made of some toxic components and so is extremely lethal to humans in the long run. I don't remember the details there but it seemed like a real deal with some tangible scientific evidence behind it.

Any information and suggestions are welcome and well appreciated!

I think that getting stainless steel pan is a good idea. The are safe and cheap in a long run because you can easily polish the surface.

I knew someone would ask this question at some point. 

This is probably the best I found. 

INFJ-T,ptsd,BPD, autism, anger issues

Cleared out ignore list today. 

Ceramic or stainless steel. SS is not a non-stick thou so you'll either need to grease it up with some olive/coconut oil or just be careful on high heats I don't have personal experience with ceramic ones but people who do usually have only good things to say about them. 

“If you find yourself acting to impress others, or avoiding action out of fear of what they might think, you have left the path.” ― Epictetus

@Snader  Stainless Steel or Cast-Iron

<banned for jokes in the joke section>

Thought Art I am disappointed in your behavior ?

Stainless steel.

Never buy non-stick or ceramic.

Ceramic pans are a gimmick. They are not truly ceramic, they have a cheap ceramic chemical coating which chips and puts toxins in your food, just like teflon.

Your pan must have no coatings. Any coating will chip.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

All righty then stainless steel it is.

Thank you all!

Edited by Snader

7 hours ago, Droo_ said:

@Leo Gura what about cast iron pans?

They are okay I guess, but I don't like dealing with them. Hard to clean. Bulky.

I have a cast iron pan, and every time I wash it, my towel ends up black. It's just always giving off blackness it seems. Is that normal?

Learn to resolve trauma. Together.

Testimonials thread: www.actualized.org/forum/topic/82672-experience-collection-childhood-aware-life-purpose-coaching/

13 minutes ago, Leo Gura said:

They are okay I guess, but I don't like dealing with them. Hard to clean. Bulky.

Irons cast is superior if you live in some red stage country ^_^. You Americans probably don't need it

I can't use a steel one. It gets all burned and food sticks to it. 

I use Teflon one 

But I know it can be toxic though I don't face any problems with it.. 

1 hour ago, Preety_India said:

I can't use a steel one. It gets all burned and food sticks to it. 

I use Teflon one 

But I know it can be toxic though I don't face any problems with it.. 

I had the same issue until i learned to cook on lower heat. Also good ammounts of coconut oil help. And adding a  little water so the pan is never dry heat. 

My topp 3 cooking tips for ya

🗣️🗯️  personal dev Log Lyfe Journal 🗿🎭 ~ Raw , Emotional, Unfiltered

Teflon is a poison.

If you roast some peanuts on a Teflon pan and feed it to a bird, it will drop dead.

@Leo Gura doesn't your steel pan ever burn or has food sticking to it? How do you get around that? 

I saw you making fried eggs but didn't notice the pan. 

Just buy 3 sizes of quality cast-iron pans from lodge and you will probably never need to buy another pan again.

@Preety_India  I use cast iron pans and they really do not stick. You have to bake a coating into it, this takes about 3-4 hours if you do it really properly and then they have a natural non-stick coating that lasts very long. After using you have to wash them by hand and rub them with a little bit of oil. Its really only a little bit of extra effort but well worth it. Also cast iron last a lifetime unlike the chemical coating pans.

@flowboy I dont have that issue at all. Depends on what you cook I guess, maybe you are using the wrong oil or you need to rebake the coating. Usually I just need one or two swabs and my cast iron is clean. 

The more you use the cast iron pan the better the coating becomes usually. I had simmilar issues in the beginning but now they are as non-stick as the teflon pans.

Edited by Phyllis Wagner

I love my iron pan but it's not black. It's just normal iron. First all food will stick to the surface but once you have cooked enough times on it it will be fine. Afterwards you clean it with a paper and that's it 

12 hours ago, Preety_India said:

@Leo Gura doesn't your steel pan ever burn or has food sticking to it? How do you get around that?

Food sticks more than a Teflon pan, but mostly it doesn't stick so bad. You just use some butter or oil and heat it proper. Don't put food into an unheated steel pan. Food tends to self-release as it cooks through.

Cleaning steel pans is very easy. Pour some water in it. Let it stand a few hours and the food bits will scrub off easy with a brush.

I saw you making fried eggs but didn't notice the pan. 

I make eggs in my steel pan all the time. Not a problem.

Of course if you are used to a Teflon pan nothing will be that easy or nonstick.

Steal pan requires a bit more worl and care. But they also last a lifetime.

All pro chefs use stainless steel pans. There's just a bit of a learning curve. And they are 5x more expensive.

12 hours ago, Leo Gura said:

Teflon is a poison.

If you roast some peanuts on a Teflon pan and feed it to a bird, it will drop dead.

Omg really??? holy shit

"God is not a conclusion, it is a sudden revelation. When you see a rose it is not that you go through a logical solipsism, 'This is a rose, and roses are beautiful, so this must be beautiful.' The moment you see it, the head stops running thoughts. On the contrary, your heart starts running. It is something totally different from the idea of truth." -Osho