Angel

Self Improvement Problem.

13 posts in this topic

I've been doing personnel development for a while now. A problem I've been warned about was feeling that I am better than others around me. This is my problem, I do feel that I'm better than almost everyone around me. Can someone help?

If you are better it's a signal that you can help those ones that are lost through your leadership and wisdom.

But i believe no one is better or worst, there are slept and awaken people.

I prefer to approach this by a positive way, if we think we are on a better stage so we have to help !

Realize that we all want the same thing in life - to be happy! We all do the best we can with what we know to do. 

You are not better than anyone else. Ever. No matter the justification your ego conjures up. Remind yourself of that every time you try to judge. And then refocus on observing without judgment. 

It takes practice, awareness. Getting stuck feeling like you are better than others isn't a place you want to be, so you may have to keep reminding yourself until the phase passes. 

Personally, I like to consider the other person's side. Why do they behave that way? Don't inject my own 'well, I think it should be this way'. I also avoid expressing my opinion unless it's necessary, or I've been asked. 

It helps develop your own ability to be compassionate and patient. I've done so many things without realizing what I was doing. I'm learning better now, it makes me a better me, not better than them. 

Do you feel you are better because you are doing self-development or for some other reason?

Ask yourself: "who is it that feels superior to others?" Where does this question come from? Is it a feeling of rejection (used in a very broad way here) of what you perceive to be a less "awake" state in others (perhaps a disguised fear of your own doubt) or is it a feeling of acceptance of your own state and a true desire to help those around you?

In my experience, if I looked honestly,  feelings of superiority originate from a state of rejection. I initially thought I was "rejecting" the person, but I discovered that I was rejecting my own fears about myself, my doubts, and my thoughts of being a fraud. This hit me when there was a moment when I was filled with acceptance. A spontaneous feeling of joy and love for those around me was simply there. I realized this was "acceptance". Acceptance of the moment. Acceptance of myself and of others. I also realized there was much more work to do.

Honestly, I continue to cycle between both rejection and acceptance of myself and others. Asking myself who it is that feels superior or feels joy brings my attention back to awareness where peace and the joy of being await.

On 2/10/2016 at 5:29 PM, Angel said:

This is my problem, I do feel that I'm better than almost everyone around me.

You really need to raise the caliber of people you hang out it.

Go study under someone who is way above you and will make you feel embarrassed for your own ignorance and deficiencies.

When I see how much ignorance I still have undo, it makes me think twice before nitpicking others.

You are God. You are Truth. You are Love. You are Infinity.

This is so insane! I literally came to the forum today, to make a similar post some years later. Recovered this old account I completely forgot I had and found this original post. Sound really crazy to me… tell me the universe is not personal.

On 2/9/2016 at 8:29 PM, Angel said:

I've been doing personnel development for a while now. A problem I've been warned about was feeling that I am better than others around me. This is my problem, I do feel that I'm better than almost everyone around me. Can someone help?

You don’t need help. The only problem you might run into is wanting to go out of the window/commit suicide during LSD trips because of the feeling of “what’s the point” of living a life like this not being able to find/be around people that are like you. Just be patient with yourself in those moments and don’t do anything stupid. 
:)

it is better to be a small fish in a big pond than to be a big fish in a small pond.  u need to find a bigger pond

The more I learned and began to grow, my understanding of things seemed like I knew more than most people around me, which was certain the case, but it was very niche. There were only certain aspects, concepts or skills that were unique to me that I was highlighting or comparing. Humble yourself by realizing that other people also have things they are much better than you at and everyone has their select things. Your developing a stronger self image but be mindful not to compare yourself to others too much and inflate the ego. In a way your moving into a teacher kind of role with the development you gained. So you wanna try and be humble and help raise others to your own level. The ego loves when it starts to create ideas of being better just because its developing in certain areas where others are not. Pay attention to that. Allow it to work for you and not weaponize it. 

Focus on the solution, not the problem