The White Belt

Drama Dabbler Into One Of The Most Impactful Actors Of This Generation

18 posts in this topic

Why do I want to be an actor? For me it's a question of why wouldn't I.

When I was a kid there wasn't a whole lot of space for imagination. My dad always told me to stop dancing in the living room because I look silly, my older brother was always trying to act like a bad ass rather than express himself in the slightest, and my friends were trying to act hard all the time. I'm talking about age 7 - 11 here.

I remember watching the Harry Potter and it just set my imagination on fire, the books did nothing for me, but the films just blew me away. I would sit out on my front garden all day trying to sell my old junk just so I could save enough money to buy the Harry Potter films on VHS. The thing is I thought it was all kind of real, I knew that magic wasn't but I didn't know what acting was, and didn't give much thought to it. I started using computers early on and one day an interview with the Harry Potter kids popped up. I watched it and sure enough I was confused. 'But they are acting differently here... Not like in the film' and then I became aware of what acting was.

I remember when my parents split up and me and my Mum lived in a flat by ourselves for a while without my Brother there or my Dad. During this period we watched so many films, it just took us away for a little bit. For that short hour or two we could laugh, in a horrible situation, and just forget about our issues for a short while, not push them to one side, just allow ourselves some enjoyment. I remember when I first got severe depression. One of the only things I could do was go to an acting class. I went in shaking but two weeks on and I could feel my depression leaving me. I remember watching 'lost in translation' and seeing myself in the scene where Scarlett Johansson talks about not knowing what she wants to do with her life. These are some examples as well as countless other examples of when acting affected me.

But you see this isn't all about me. I want to do this for others. I want to teach kids to be imaginative and fearless, and to never give up, and adults for that matter. I want to enlighten people on how beautiful the world is, but also about its pressing issues, conveying the lives of people in tough situations in order to inspire empathy. I want to make people laugh, smile, cry, dance, maybe just wind down after a long, hard week of work. I want to give an earth shattering performance, something that changes the game entirely. I want my name mentioned in drama schools, my techniques to be used in the curriculum, create films that live on longer than me, or theatre performances that people can't forget.

So all I have to do is stop stopping myself. Simple right? Yeah it is. I've procrastinated a lot. I've told myself it isn't a worthy pursuit. I've let nerves get the better of me. Self-doubt, anxiety, etc, etc. All that can make me deprive the world of sharing something that can, and will, be very fucking special. Fuck that. Not anymore. I don't care if I lose sleep. I don't care if I have to work so hard that I want to burst into tears every five minutes. I don't care if nobody believes in me, if they try to put me down, if I make a fool of myself again and again and again. I will do this.

As this is my first entry this is the big WHY. The rest of the entries may be simply what tasks I have done but will vary.

The start of this part will begin from yesterday, as this is when the journal was supposed to begin.

What I did today to edge me closer to being one of the most impactful actors of this generation :-

- Today I practiced my cold-reading for 30 minutes.

- Today I read a play for one hour, and finished it.

Other Success Habits I completed today:-

- I created a dream board, images of actors and quotes.

- Today I did a 30 minute stretch and 30 minute calisthenics workout.

- Today I expressed gratitude.

- 20 Minute Meditation

General notes /Notes of improvement :-

- When you read something good, don't just read it, study it. If it's difficult to study just remember that somebody put

hundreds, possibly thousands, of hours into gathering that information. You always have the very easy version.

- Stop trying to be as good as people, strive to be miles better.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

What I did today to edge me closer to being one of the most impactful actors of this generation :-

- Took a tour of my local theatre for inspiration.

- Saw a play (The importance of being Earnest) at said Theatre and took notes after of things I noticed in the actors, good or not so good.

- Spent one hour studying Stanislavski's 'Building a Character'.

- Read through and took notes of a play I will perform, 'The Threepenny Opera'.

- Today I looked at my Dreamboard

- 20 Minute Meditation

General notes/Notes of improvement/Affirmations :-

- Stop looking at the lives of people who don't get shit done.

“In the beginner’s mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert’s there are few” 
― Shunryu Suzuki

- Read through and took notes of a play I will perform, 'The Threepenny Opera' for 30 minutes.

- Watched and joined in with a 15 minute voice exercise on YouTube

- 15 Minute Meditation

- Went for a 15 minute run followed by a 15 minute stretch.

- Sort out monologues and application for submission to drama schools by the end of December. 

- Begin a five minute affirmation daily routine 'I am a world-class actor'. 

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Read aloud and took notes of a play I will perform, 'The Threepenny Opera' for one hour.

- Practiced a Cockney accent for said play.

- Went to a weekly acting workshop (2 Hours)

- 15 Minute Meditation

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

- Had a short read of Steve Chandlers' '100 Ways to Motivate Yourself'

- Sort out monologues and application for submission to drama schools by the end of December.

- Well done for volunteering to get up a cold-read a scene in front of the acting class. Keep doing that! 

- Don't hold onto your words when discussing a play, even if it sounds stupid, get into the habit of speaking up, yet also don't feel saying nothing and feeling like you absolutely have to come up with something.

- Stop staring at the hot actresses (lol)! You have lots of other, more appropriate, opportunities to stare at hot girls but the acting workshop must be a place of absolute focus.

- Seek critique not praise (But enjoy praise).

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Read aloud learned the lines of a play I will perform, 'The Threepenny Opera' for 30 Minutes.

- Got a co-worker to listen to my Cockney accent.

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

- Went down to my local Buddhist center for a mediation and talk 

- I know you feel embarrassed to do your acting when your brothers around, but don't be. Seriously even if he thinks 'WTF', are you 

gonna' let that make you deprive the world of what will be stunning performances brought about by the ability to make a fool

of yourself in front of absolutely anyone?

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Went over the lines of a play I will perform, 'The Threepenny Opera' for 30 Minutes.

- Cold read '100 Ways to Motivate Yourself' for 30 minutes (Two birds, one stone!).

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  15 minute stretch and 30 minutes calisthenics workoutl

- Good that you are noticing the subtle ways of resistance. Keep pushing! It's better to be on the upper side (what seems like the upper side anyway for now) of the gauge for a while so you can give resistance a well deserved kick in!

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Spent 30 minutes studying Stanislavski's 'Building a Character'.

- Went over the lines of a play I will perform, 'The Threepenny Opera' for 20 Minutes.

- Went to a local two hour acting workshop.

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  20 minute meditation

- Different is good. Even if the workshop is crappy, getting up and acting is the most important part. No matter what the setting. Reading is great but not valuable if it stays in your head and isn't tried and tested in front of people.

- Drop your anger as much as you can. Keep smiling. Come from happiness with whatever you do. Don't go to it.

Edited by BeginnerActualizer

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Spent 1 hour minutes studying Stanislavski's 'Building a Character'.

- Booked a 'Drama School Intensive' day workshop for December

- Brought Kevin Spacey's Masterclass online, watched one segment.

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  20 minute meditation

- Workout and stretch

- When the going gets tough, keep on going.

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Spent 30 minutes studying Stanislavski's 'Building a Character'.

- Finished another segment on Kevin Spacey's Masterclass

- Took another look around my local theatre for inspiration

- People watched

- Went to the local art gallery and contemplated somewhat the correlation between paintings and performance

- Spent 30 minutes sight-reading 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself (Two Birds..)

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  20 minute meditation

- Went to a half-day meditation workshop at the local Buddhist centre

- Insightful quotes taken from the mediation workshop: 'A beautiful lotus flower comes up and out from thick layers of filthy mud'. ' You can't smooth the rough edges of a block of wood with silk. You need sandpaper'. These quotes are in regard to baring suffering, going through tough times and delaying gratification (self discipline).

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Started reading the play 'The Dutchess of Malfi' for 30 minutes.

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  15 minute meditation

- Too much time masturbating. Take one month off. 23rd November.

- Keep pushing and forming new paths. Willpower.  

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Read the play 'The Dutchess of Malfi' for 30 minutes.

- Worked on two drama school monologues for 30 minutes.

- Took a two hour acting workshop (that was very emotional).

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  15 minute meditation

- So far so good NoFap, one day, hahaha!

- Keep pushing it, creating the new disciplines, good bye to the old. 

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Worked on two drama school monologues for 30 minutes.

- Read '100 Ways to Motivate yourself' aloud for 15 minutes

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  15 minute meditation

- Two days nofap

- Art is hugely important.

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Today I guess you could say was a 'rest' day, but certainly not a purposefully lazy day. I read the play 'Dutchess of Malfi'

for ten minutes, and in the evening I went to a gig which is why I didn't do much else. However at the gig I got to see some supporting

acts perform poetry which I feel ties in with acting, and the main act was a political rapper. Theatre is very political.

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  8 minute meditation

- Three days nofap

- Perusing passion isn't a long military drill or a straight trajectory. There are ups and downs and every now and again a 

bit of procrastination is fine, and to be enjoyed. 

― Shunryu Suzuki

- 30 Minutes on my monologues (Subtext and character discovery)

- 30 minute sight reading '100 Ways to motivate yourself'

- 1 Hour reading Stanislavski

- 5 minutes affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  15 minute meditation

- Back to 0 days NoFap (Note: if you want to take nofap seriously, don't work in bed in your boxers. Get dressed and work at a table.)

- This week there are lots of events to do with Halloween. Enjoy them and do not punish yourself. Your pursuit is life-long so what's a couple of days here and there gonna do? Nothing negative. Just do what you can.

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Watched a little video on Stella Adler.

- Basically nothing else. (I just want to keep the habit of journaling every day)

- Quick affirmations

- Quick visualisation

-  15 minute meditation

- 1 day Nofap

- Be present, diligent.

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Finished studying Stanislavski's 'Building a Character'!!

- Read 'The Dutchess of Malfi for one hour (Trying to read as diligently as possible).  

- Went to an art gallery. 

- Wrote a rough draft of a poem.

- Brought a book on English language

- Thought about what acting means to me, what difference it will make to people's lives.

-  10 minute meditation

- Workout and stretch

- Celebrate the small successes!!!!!!!!!

― Shunryu Suzuki

- Watched a 45 minute episode of 'Playing Shakespeare'

- Worked on my monologues for about 45 minutes

- Read the play 'The Dutchess of Malfi' for however long.

-  5 minute meditation

- Divide what you want to do into small pieces. Don't be overwhelmed. It is not a straight forward thing. Small effort over a long time is better than burning out over a big effort in a short time.

― Shunryu Suzuki

UPDATE: I gave up on this. Dropped it like a bad habit. I don't fully know why, something just felt in-genuine. Maybe I wasn't doing it for me, or maybe I was trying to fill an unfillable gap. Maybe i'll come back to it if it feels right. Who knows?

― Shunryu Suzuki