Someone here

Define awakening

96 posts in this topic

In a short sentence. Because there is a lot of confusion and varying opinions on this forum. 

Some think it's THIS and you are already awake. 

Some think it's the falling away of separate self. 

Some think it is an insight into the true nature of reality. 

What is awakening? For you....... And why there is different opinions? And how do you know if you are awake? 

Edited by Someone here

"life is not a problem to be solved ..its a mystery to be lived "

-Osho

28 minutes ago, Someone here said:

Some think it's THIS and you are already awake. 

Some think it's the falling away of separate self. 

Some think it is an insight into the true nature of reality.

There is no contradiction. Investigate where is "me", it's already this, your true nature. :) 

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

4 minutes ago, allislove said:

There is no contradiction. Investigate where is "me", it's already this, your true nature. :) 

What about increasing your levels of consciousness and realizing reality is imaginary and you are God and all alone etc etc..? 

-Osho

40 minutes ago, Someone here said:

What is awakening? For you....... And why there is different opinions? And how do you know if you are awake? 

Awakening - everything that exists either has a reason for existing (or the opposite).

I don't know which one is true. My guess is that constant investigation and discovery would eventually lead to an answer (kinda like the invention of penicilin or whatever).

People are bound to believe different things based on their own contexts and predilections, I guess. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

@Someone here Being God - obviously it has to be related to something beyond daily life, especially the trend (for the lack of a better term) of depression and low self esteem especially in younger generations.. I hate to say this about perhaps it begins with the whole assertiveness thing, making an impact to the world, etc etc. That must be what being God means, if that makes sense. 

Other people like Carl Jung provided texts that explored the psyche which he said contained the soul, which is in a way related to God. And of course the Neo Advaita people, certain hindu traditions and their many variants. 

"We are like the spider. We weave our life and then move along in it. We are like the dreamer who dreams and then lives in the dream. This is true for the entire universe."

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

I believe a good meditation could help a person through both mental and physical health. I used to deal with anxiety & stress which actually made me gain weight and affect my mentality as well. I was visiting Connecticut to see my cousin who introduced to a spiritual consultant that help me meditate. At first I thought this wouldn't work but slowly I began to feel way better. Now I am the most free spirited girl and awakening moment for me. 

12 minutes ago, Megan Alecia said:

Awakening - everything that exists either has a reason for existing (or the opposite) 

What do you mean? 

5 minutes ago, Megan Alecia said:

Being God - obviously it has to be related to something beyond daily life, especially the trend (for the lack of a better term) of depression and low self esteem especially in younger generations.. I hate to say this about perhaps it begins with the whole assertiveness thing, making an impact to the world, etc etc. That must be what being God means, if that makes sense. 

That's a good way of looking at it. 

Although Leo means in a different sense. 

-Osho

My condensed version that’s worth about 2 cents-

Awakening is the realization of Being as our true nature. At the same time we see we can’t do anything. We’re just a mass of conditioned reactions and instinctual drives that propel us through this world. We live as unguided projectiles and realize our helplessness. Everything just happens. It’s so awful that we die in a certain way after we awaken. There is then the possibility of becoming a twice born.

The Diamond Approach Glossary has 11 excerpts about awakening.

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/awakening

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn

5 minutes ago, Someone here said:

What do you mean? 

That's a good way of looking at it. 

Although Leo means in a different sense. 

Without a reason, you get either nihilism, or as zigzag's comments- instinctual drives. The latter is a bit more complex but in essence I guess one could put it as our animal essence (i.e human hierarchies comparable to ape hierarchies).

I like to adopt my own interpretation, but of course at the same time to be open to others' ideas and insights about the subject. 

Edited by Megan Alecia

-- The Upanishads

Encyclopedia

Here's my short and catchy definition of awakening: It is the realization of that which cannot be defined. ;)

Why so serious?

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

What about increasing your levels of consciousness and realizing reality is imaginary and you are God and all alone etc etc..? 

"increasing your level of consciousness" doesn't resonate as a good pointer.
"Reality is imaginary" & "you are God (and everyone is)" is also it, no contradiction with the previous pointers.

You see, by believing you are a separate entity, you can't really discern what points to Truth and what is a pure "ego" dreaming. This is due to ignoring the feelings. Daily hour meditation is one of the ways to be more sensitive to how you feel.

What a dream, what a joke, love it   :x

42 minutes ago, Zigzag Idiot said:

My condensed version that’s worth about 2 cents-

Awakening is the realization of Being as our true nature. At the same time we see we can’t do anything. We’re just a mass of conditioned reactions and instinctual drives that propel us through this world. We live as unguided projectiles and realize our helplessness. Everything just happens. It’s so awful that we die in a certain way after we awaken. There is then the possibility of becoming a twice born.

The Diamond Approach Glossary has 11 excerpts about awakening.

https://www.diamondapproach.org/glossary/refinery_phrases/awakening

A bit pessimistic view? 

-Osho

@Someone here No longer feeling like there is some sort of centrum of experience/reference point in your head, otherwise known as self

No longer feeling like you looking out at the world out there from behind your eyes

No sense of agency

"Buddhism is for losers and those who will die one day."

-- Kenneth Folk

@Someone here if you realize the identical point of before so called birth, deep sleep and now. Thats what enlightenment is. 

"It is impossible for a man to learn what he thinks he already knows."

3 minutes ago, James123 said:

@Someone here if you realize the identical point of before so called birth, deep sleep and now. Thats what enlightenment is. 

What is it? Curious. 

-Osho

1 hour ago, allislove said:

"increasing your level of consciousness" doesn't resonate as a good pointer.
"Reality is imaginary" & "you are God (and everyone is)" is also it, no contradiction with the previous pointers.

You see, by believing you are a separate entity, you can't really discern what points to Truth and what is a pure "ego" dreaming. This is due to ignoring the feelings. Daily hour meditation is one of the ways to be more sensitive to how you feel.

We are separate entities.

8 minutes ago, Someone here said:

What is it? Curious. 

Thoughtlessness. Which is “nothingness” or “being” and “now”. Thats why nothingness can not be experienced, can just be. 

@allislove much love to your profile pictures man?❤️?✊?

1 hour ago, Someone here said:

A bit pessimistic view? 

It kind of is. But it speaks to the persistence of egoic imagination, dreams and spiritual sleep.

In esoteric Christianity it’s said "'To awake,' 'to die,' 'to be born.' These are three successive stages. Similar types of sayings also in Buddhism and Hinduism. 
But yeah,,, not very cheery.

"To have a free mind is to be a universal heretic." - A.H. Almaas

"We have to bless the living crap out of everyone." - Matt Kahn