Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fridjonk

Importance of a de-load week in exercise.

7 posts in this topic

Recently I took a 2-week break from all exercising and stretching. And to my surprise, I came back stronger and more flexible than ever. 

Highly recommend you take one week break every 4-6 months, especially if you're working out 5-6 times a week. 

It's very important when you're over-reaching. Especially in barbell training. Do less sets for a week at 80% weights and then pick up where you left off, or slightly below it, even if the weight feels light -- just keep bar speed fairly high. Probably not necessary until 135 press, 225 bench, 315 squat, 405 deadlift or so. Until then generally all that's required is occasional 10 percent reduction in weight for each specific lift that you happen to miss reps on for 2-3 sessions in a row, building back up to where you left off over a 2 week period, but never reducing intensity below 90% for more than 1 session, to prevent detraining.

Edited by The0Self

Yeah, de-loading is definitely necessary sometimes in order to facilitate greater recovery of your nervous system. That's why programs like Starting Strength or Jim Wendler's 5/3/1 or whatever, have you take deload weeks accordingly.

Yeah! Such a cool mechanism. I didn't stretch much the past weeks and then unexpectedly did my first front split while stretching around on 1,5g of mushrooms :D Yey!

I even noticed the same pattern in meditation. After taking a few weeks off, I'm entering deep states of focus and relaxation way more easily.

14 hours ago, Username said:

@flume Psychedelics make body much more flexible. Same for breathing exercises.

This is true for me as well, especially on LSD. 

On 3/23/2021 at 9:25 PM, flume said:

Yeah! Such a cool mechanism. I didn't stretch much the past weeks and then unexpectedly did my first front split while stretching around on 1,5g of mushrooms :D Yey!

Congrats! xD